newbe spacer question

Ravatude

Equipment
Bx2200
Jan 22, 2024
Murphy NC
Hi all. I have had my BX2200 for ever. but I just moved to NC mountains and have a steep slope to mow. .looking for more stable feel. has anyone moved the Guage wheels and put 3 inch spacers on the rear? did it help? was it worth it? should I go to a zero turn?. if I roll this I end up in a pond....

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Hi all. I have had my BX2200 for ever. but I just moved to NC mountains and have a steep slope to mow. .looking for more stable feel. has anyone moved the Guage wheels and put 3 inch spacers on the rear? did it help? was it worth it? should I go to a zero turn?. if I roll this I end up in a pond....
Its actually pretty hard to roll a little tractor with a belly mower. Three inch spacers seems a bit excessive but I will defer to your judgement. I have never sat in that seat or on that hillside.

Dan

GrizBota

Equipment
L3830HST/LA724, B2601/LA435/RCK54-32, RCR1872, CDI 66”grapple, pallet forks
Apr 26, 2023
Oregon
I understand zero turns can get a bit unwieldy on cross slopes and turning around on the same. The pond may be a concern with either piece of equipment? I’ve seen pictures of both stuck in a pond.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
re: cross slopes and turning around on the same

you might get to do that 2-3 times then wife collects your insurance...

GrizBota

Equipment
L3830HST/LA724, B2601/LA435/RCK54-32, RCR1872, CDI 66”grapple, pallet forks
Apr 26, 2023
Oregon
re: cross slopes and turning around on the same

you might get to do that 2-3 times then wife collects your insurance...
Correct. It’s a hassle, but a weed eater is often the safest option for a pond.

Straight up and down slopes is the safest way to cut the grass. If it’s a steep slope, I prefer to back up it and cut on the way down. My experience is that a FEL won’t help make a tractor more stable in this situation. I think it tends to destabilize it and increase the odds of whacking something unintentionally. YMMV.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
I had to pull a brand new (6 hrs) ,big, shiny Kubota ZTR out of a pond 15 years ago. Owner was away, friend decided to cut the grass around pond( really a mini LAKE ). Early morning, wet grass, not that bad of a 'slope' but.... in he went,into 5 feet deep of pond muck...... I got it out ,went for all new filters+ oil, it sputtered 'alive', ran OK, HE spent the next 5-6 HOURS cleaning and detailing the machine.

Ravatude

Equipment
Bx2200
Jan 22, 2024
Murphy NC
thanks guys. the previous owner said Never mow until it's dried. I've heard zeros slipe sideways . I won't weed wack on the slope it is just uncomfortable for this unsteady 68 year old. . I noticed the former owner had a Zero and a Bx with an back hoe. didn't see a mower on it. I have weight for the rear and will mow without the Fel . noticed 3 properties ago it doesn't like the Fel on slopes.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
You need a neighbor with a goat he’ll occasionally loan you. I had a really rough spot …too rough for ANY machine….and neighbors goat, neighbor, and me….. all pleased in a day.

Reactions: 1 user

Ravatude

Equipment
Bx2200
Jan 22, 2024
Murphy NC
no goats in the area. and my lab and chesapeake would not put up with one either. when the Canada geese fly in there is HELL TO PAY.

• Haha

Tioga Tim

Equipment
B2620
Nov 11, 2020
Upstate New York
Not sure if you are using a MMM or a 3 pt mower. If MMM, be sure you can fit 3" spacers with it. The newer models can only take 1.5" spacers I believe to clear the mower deck. I did put 3" spacers on my 2620 and it has worked out great - feels 10 x more stable on slopes, and I am almost always on slopes with it.

Grandad4

Equipment
1949 Farmall M, previously owned: L 4610, BX 2230
Apr 5, 2016
Greensboro, NC
If your BX has turf tires you might consider switching over to the ag type instead for better traction. I had both for my BX but ended up not using the turfs very much. Also recommend liquid ballast in the rear tires for the same reason.

That said, I have to say this still seems like a sketchy proposition. While it's generally safer and you should have more traction going up/down vs side/side on slopes, that's really difficult to do mowing up/down a pond bank with a tractor, ZTR or other wheeled vehicle. You'd have to drive down the bank and precisely stop/reverse just before the wheels reach the water... multiple times.

If it were my place I'd be liking the goats or weedeater solutions. Best of luck and please be safe!

Ravatude

Equipment
Bx2200
Jan 22, 2024
Murphy NC
Not sure if you are using a MMM or a 3 pt mower. If MMM, be sure you can fit 3" spacers with it. The newer models can only take 1.5" spacers I believe to clear the mower deck. I did put 3" spacers on my 2620 and it has worked out great - feels 10 x more stable on slopes, and I am almost always on slopes with it.
I tested a 2x4 and it just fit ..so I bought 1.5 spacers. hope to install by the end of the week

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
Apr 2, 2019
possible option
replace the grass, plant some form of low growing vegetation.
one guy here planted clover, has bee guy put hives there, he gets free honey AND doesn't have to cut on the dangerous slope,so everyone wins !

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
I tested a 2x4 and it just fit ..so I bought 1.5 spacers. hope to install by the end of the week
On my BX 2200, with I think inch and a quarter spacers, the left gage wheel assembly will just hit the tire when the deck is raised a bit above the 4 setting. I don’t think inch and a half spaces would work on mine at most deck heights.

When you say steep slope, how many degrees is that slope?

I had my four tires foam filled by an industrial tire shop to increase stability. Actually, the front were foam filled first to prevent punctures. Puts a lot of weight down where needed for stability.

My BX with the foam filled tires and the 60 inch MMM hanging down low is quite stable. This is about my limit (pucker factor) for sides slopes though. I did get off on the high side and push on the ROPS hard and it was rock solid. Of course, that was a static test. The dynamics are different when the tractor is moving. Mowing a cross slope only when it is dry is good advice.

IMG_0127.jpeg

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
That looks just like the hills south of Da Burgh ,, lol
I did put 2 inch spacers on the B, did they help, I think so. MHO is that tractor should be 6 inches wider anyways,, But I digress.
Again in MHO stay off the pond banks, or maybe find a 3 point mower and just kind of let it chop as you back down,,, maybe even pay someone to come in and weed wack the banks for you

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
Apr 2, 2019
You don't need spacers, you don't need a tractor, you need a BULLDOZER ! with a skilled operator (one who has done 100s of ponds,especially golf course ponds ) to terrace the land and carve in a wide 'switchback'. Yes, it's a small 'pouch of gold' up front, but the right guy on the machine will do the PROPER grading and then have a landscaper put the proper 'green stuff' into the ground. After 1-2-3- seasons it'll look great and most of all SAFE.
Yours is a bit steeper and longer than the one I had to fish the ZT out of.

Ravatude

Equipment
Bx2200
Jan 22, 2024
Murphy NC
You don't need spacers, you don't need a tractor, you need a BULLDOZER ! with a skilled operator (one who has done 100s of ponds,especially golf course ponds ) to terrace the land and carve in a wide 'switchback'. Yes, it's a small 'pouch of gold' up front, but the right guy on the machine will do the PROPER grading and then have a landscaper put the proper 'green stuff' into the ground. After 1-2-3- seasons it'll look great and most of all SAFE.
Yours is a bit steeper and longer than the one I had to fish the ZT out of.
well you have hit the plan. I want to do a 6 ft path along the pond and plant the steep hill with low shrubs and ground cover