Struggling during the last snow storm.

Foxrunfarms

Equipment
Kubota LX2610, 1951 Farmall M, 1967 John Deere 110 Rf, 2010 Arctic Cat 700
Apr 25, 2023
WI
By no means am I a snow or tractor expert but I plowed snow professionally for a company for 15 years with with a skid loader or 1 ton truck and plowed for the local township 2 years. I've been running farm tractors since I was 8 so I kind of have a general idea on those things.

I use to plow with a 700cc atv but now up graded to a lx2610 open station I use to plow my 200 yard horseshoe gravel driveway. I use the loader and a rear blade to clear the snow. Usually 25 minutes 3 to 4 passes Im done. I sometimes use a box blade too. I really like that to back up to buildings, leaves a nice finish, and I can dump it it where I want instead of rolling it over making " buffers" around the driveway.

This last storm dumped 10 inches of snow and 50 mph winds. I had 4 ft drifts in my driveway and for 8 hours it was just scoop, drive and dump was the name of the game. Other spots had 6 to 8 inches of snow, and with the rear blade angled taking half a pass I really had to steer with the brakes. I couldn't get out in my marsh to Groom the atv or snowmobile trails. I'd either bottom out the tractor or loose traction pushing with the loader. I couldn't push backwards with the blade either.

Granted this was a big storm, my atv wouldn't of had a chance against it, and a skidloader or a 1ton truck would've struggled too. I was just curious if anyone else struggled or struggles with bigger storms. I know every snow is differrnt and sometimes requires different tools. I feel defeated with this last storm......even though we only get something like that every 3 years. I'm really thinking of a snow blower after this storm. I have an idea on a brand and prefer a 3 point just hard on squeezing the trigger on that much money on a maybe use.

My tractor is completely stock. No extra weight or fluid in the tires, and r14's. I can tell a difference when I have the box blade on vs the straight blade for rear weight. I'm sure those things would help to a point but again I guess I'm just seeing if others struggle too........trying to make myself feel good haha. In my opinion I think a blower would be a nice plan of attack.

Thanks for your input.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

ken erickson

Equipment
B7100 hst, 2650 front mount snowblower, L2501 hst qa loader
Nov 21, 2010
Waupaca Wisconsin
Have you considered a snow fence to protect the driveway from drifting?

I like you, have experience moving snow with machines going back to about 1975 , part time with my Ford F250. Drifts can challenge the best of equipment.

I run a b7100 with 6 foot back blade and 50 inch front mount blower. My blade handles 90 percent of the snow conditions with the blower taking care of the 10 percent. When conditions are right, very hard to beat a blower. There is a very good thread devoted to the best snow removal setups for compact tractors and worth a read.

Perhaps someone can remember the title to that thread and post a link? Me and the OTT search function do not always get along, LOL.

Here is the link to that long thread

pros-and-cons-of-snow-removal-options.61050

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

Foxrunfarms

Equipment
Apr 25, 2023
WI
Have you considered a snow fence to protect the driveway from drifting?

I like you have experience moving snow with machines going back to about 1975 , part time with my Ford F250. Drifts can challenge the best of equipment.

I run a b7100 with 6 foot back blade and 50 inch front mount blower. My blade handles 90 percent of the snow conditions with the blower taking care of the 10 percent. When conditions are right, very hard to beat a blower. There is a very good thread devoted to the best snow removal setups for compact tractors and worth a read.

Perhaps someone can remember the title to that thread and post a link? Me and the OTT search function do not always get along, LOL.

Here is the link to that long thread

pros-and-cons-of-snow-removal-options.61050
Considered a snow fence, never put one up due to time, and money after my injuries and itd block some paths for the farm. The wife planted a row of spruce trees when we 1st moved. They're after 4ft tall and help to a point. Using the atv I do short runs so I had more piles of snow which actually helped too. This year with the tractor I have just one big pile and think now if I had more piles it'd help more. If I leave a few rows of corn out for the deer that helps too.

I remember reading that link when I 1st joined here. Very informative.

I was thinking of getting a more heavier rear blade. Right now mine is a lighter duty and as I mentioned I can tell a difference for traction.

It makes me feel better you don't always need the blower but it sounds like a good investment.

Thank you.

Reactions: 2 users

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
I don't have the experience moving that much snow with my tractor. However, whenever we get a big one, I see more wheel- loaders doing work than plows. When you are pushing, if the snow keeps building in size and mass, traction of your tires will eventually give out.

NorthwoodsLife

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B7100(sold), Kubota LX2610 Cab
Oct 15, 2021
Wisconsin
Last winter was really bad in NW Wisconsin. 5 and 6 foot drifts over my driveway in places. I also used the loader with bucket. And a 72" rear blade. I too wished that I had a rear mount, rear facing snow blower. I will be ordering one soon. No chains. Rear tires not filled. R14's worked excellent. Got her stuck twice last year. Winched her out.

I also prefer
20221217_125146.jpg
to use my ATV w / plow under about 8" of snow. It's super fast.

20221224_092625.jpg

20221211_141237.jpg

Reactions: 7 users

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25DLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I feel your pain @Foxrunfarms. Having the right equipment really helps, along with living at the top of hill. I always push snow downhill, but blowers are amazing and I would pick a blower over a blade if I had to choose.

Blowers and blades are expensive, and it's hard to justify the investment unless they're used a lot. I use the set up shown below regularly between October and April, so it was certainly worth the price of admission. There isn't any kind of snow event I couldn't handle with what I have.

mx_6000_5.jpg

• Love
Reactions: 8 users

Foxrunfarms

Equipment
Apr 25, 2023
WI
Last winter was really bad in NW Wisconsin. 5 and 6 foot drifts over my driveway in places. I also used the loader with bucket. And a 72" rear blade. I too wished that I had a rear mount, rear facing snow blower. I will be ordering one soon. No chains. Rear tires not filled. R14's worked excellent. Got her stuck twice last year. Winched her out.

I also prefer View attachment 120773 to use my ATV w / plow under about 8" of snow. It's super fast.

View attachment 120771

View attachment 120772
Nice to see another Wisconsiner.......I'm SE though. Just near the IL boarder. My inlaws have a cabin " up north" in Mercer though. Glad I'm in the same boat. I'm not on here much but see you respond/give very good accurate advice.
The four wheeler is fast, and doesn't seem as much as a chore using it.
20191231_125537.jpg
20221225_121058.jpg
20221225_121042.jpg
20191231_132716.jpg
20221225_121630.jpg

How has that king kutter blade been for you? When I was looking for used blades that's all I've been finding twisted or bowed, but I guess it depends on how you treat it.

Reactions: 4 users

Foxrunfarms

Equipment
Apr 25, 2023
WI
I feel your pain @Foxrunfarms. Having the right equipment really helps, along with living at the top of hill. I always push snow downhill, but blowers are amazing and I would pick a blower over a blade if I had to choose.

Blowers and blades are expensive, and it's hard to justify the investment unless they're used a lot. I use the set up shown below regularly between October and April, so it was certainly worth the price of admission. There isn't any kind of snow event I couldn't handle with what I have.

View attachment 120774
Thanks. Growing up we'd try to have our crops off by Halloween cause we could have measurable snow from October to March with major snow storms in December around the Holidays. Now it seems like January to Mid March we get snow and every so often get dumped on. I usually try to Stay a head of snows but the last one blowing and drifting at -35 it just wasn't worth it. I feel like if I get a blower then it won't snow but it'd be nice to have. Being out 8 hours scooping and dumping snow has to have a price on it.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25DLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Thanks. Growing up we'd try to have our crops off by Halloween cause we could have measurable snow from October to March with major snow storms in December around the Holidays. Now it seems like January to Mid March we get snow and every so often get dumped on. I usually try to Stay a head of snows but the last one blowing and drifting at -35 it just wasn't worth it. I feel like if I get a blower then it won't snow but it'd be nice to have. Being out 8 hours scooping and dumping snow has to have a price on it.
Blowers are great snow movers for sure. I had a BX25D for five years and ran a BX5450 blower during those years. A nice used blower would be the ticket if you can find what you want/need. Anything new seems so expensive now. I was looking at HLA snow pushers and they're running $5k for an 84" which is bonkers given how little material is in them. $5k for an implement with bearings, a gearbox, blades or an auger etc., seems bearable, but not for a glorified bucket. Maybe I'm missing something.

NorthwoodsLife

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 15, 2021
Wisconsin
@Foxrunfarms , Thank you for the kind words. We could do a fish fry friday if you were closer. And, yeah, I agree. An ATV plow angled just right will not just push, but actually throw snow at speed. Depending on how wet it is.

The King Kutter blade I got at Farm Fleet, and it was inexpensive. It's been good so far with no complaints or breakage. 2 years. It is difficult to adjust the angle sometimes as the angle pin gets frozen solid and wedged in. Poor pin design.
But considering it's price, it been worth it so far. I did scrape a tree with it hard last year and thought I bent it, or my 3 point. But after checking, the only damage was to the tree bark.

Cheers!!

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
We've had barely any snow this year, but we did have 2 ft drifts in the driveway. I moved those with the loader and rear blade. Usually, I just use the Polaris Ranger.

A few years ago we had a total of 3 ft at once. 12-14 inches and then 2 ft more in 24 hours. I had cleared the 12-14 for the most part before the 24 inches came. My strategy to deal with that 24 inches was to keep up with it. I only had the Ranger since I hadn't bought the tractor yet.

I put my rear chains on a few weeks ago just in case. That's probably the reason we haven't had much snow. :D

Reactions: 5 users

NorthwoodsLife

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 15, 2021
Wisconsin
We've had barely any snow this year, but we did have 2 ft drifts in the driveway. I moved those with the loader and rear blade. Usually, I just use the Polaris Ranger.

A few years ago we had a total of 3 ft at once. 12-14 inches and then 2 ft more in 24 hours. I had cleared the 12-14 for the most part before the 24 inches came. My strategy to deal with that 24 inches was to keep up with it. I only had the Ranger since I hadn't bought the tractor yet.

I put my rear chains on a few weeks ago just in case. That's probably the reason we haven't had much snow. :D
Right! Staying ahead of it is what I found to be the best solution.

Reactions: 4 users

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Kubota B2650 and lots of other equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
Here's my snow removal beast! :ROFLMAO: Complete with homemade pusher blade and removeable heated cab just for winter duties. My snow blower is now about 30 years old and on its 2nd tractor. That's one big advantage to the 3 pt blower in that they're not tractor specific for the most part. This blower has been trouble free now for all of those years, but I'm going to start replacing a few bearings as I can tell they're getting a little dry. (greaseless bearings) so even what might be considered expensive up front....over the long term this blower has paid for itself many times over.

The pusher blade is no beauty, but was made from some scraps attached to a blank quick tach plate. If we have light snows, the pusher does all the work quickly with the blower providing ballast for traction. I use the standard turf tires (no fluid within) and am impressed with the traction in snow. Glare ice is more of a problem, but would be no matter what the tire unless you have chains.

The large horizontal mirror makes blowing in reverse a piece of cake. You can see it up high in the middle of the cab. If you can back your car/pickup using its mirror, you can easily blow snow in reverse using this setup.

I agree with the others that a blade, especially a front pusher blade, makes short work of clearing snow most of the time. But when you need to break through drifts or deep, heavy snow.....nothing beats a snowblower. Most of the time it might be just ballast for traction. the other times, it's worth its weight in gold when your blade won't suffice.

The canted "paddles" on the double augers on this Lorenz blower will chop through the hardest packed, wind driven snow one can find. You probably won't see that much in your area though.

Homemade Pusher Blade.JPG Rear View Mirror and Lorenz Blower.JPG

If you'd be interested in fabbing up a cheap removeable cab for winter duties...message me.
It was a cold cold ND day blowing snow in my shirt sleeves and thought I'd see how warm I could get the cab temperature up to. I was surprised after hanging this good thermometer inside:
Improvised Cab Thermometer.jpg Interior Cab Temp.JPG Gotta get me some Hawaiian shirts for snowblowing duties!

Reactions: 8 users

GrizBota

Equipment
L3830HST/LA724, B2601/LA435/RCK54-32, RCR1872, CDI 66”grapple, pallet forks
Apr 26, 2023
Oregon
If traction is a concern, you might consider liquid ballast in the rear tires. The weight of the back blade, while moving snow won’t help with traction given that presumably the bade is in the full down position allowing it to follow the ground contours, unless it’s being held up to control the cut depth. The weight of the back blade will help with the depth of the cut when in the full down position.

BTW, you probably are an expert (a modest one) in snow removal with the experience you mentioned.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Snow blower handles the deep / wind packed stuff better than anything else.

R14 tires are good, but nothing beats a set of chains.

Reactions: 7 users

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
Investing in a set of tire chains will do you more good than upgrading your blade for one heavier better traction.

Foxrunfarms

Equipment
Apr 25, 2023
WI
Blowers are great snow movers for sure. I had a BX25D for five years and ran a BX5450 blower during those years. A nice used blower would be the ticket if you can find what you want/need. Anything new seems so expensive now. I was looking at HLA snow pushers and they're running $5k for an 84" which is bonkers given how little material is in them. $5k for an implement with bearings, a gearbox, blades or an auger etc., seems bearable, but not for a glorified bucket. Maybe I'm missing something.
Being laid up I can't justify a blower yet and I think the season is winding down so I'll keep an eye open during the summer or fall. I found 2 old v style blowers for 600. I think I'd like something nicer and newer . I found a nice 50 inch farm king for 2k about 2 hours away. If I had the funds that'd be on the tractor already.

Biker1mike

Equipment
B6200, Kubota 2030 Front Blade, King Cutter 60" finishing deck
Jan 11, 2022
Gallatin, NY USA
By no means am I a snow or tractor expert but I plowed snow professionally for a company for 15 years with wither a skid loader or 1 ton truck and plowed for the local township 2 years. I've been running farm tractors since I was 8 so I kind of have a general idea on those things.

I use to plow with a 700cc atv but now up graded to a lx2610 open station I use to plow my 200 yard horseshoe gravel driveway. I use the loader and a rear blade to clear the snow. Usually 25 minutes 3 to 4 passes Im dine. I sometimes use a box blade too. I really like that to back up to buildings, leaves a nice finish, and I can dump it it where I want instead of rolling it over making " buffers" around the driveway.

This last storm dumped 10 inches of snow and 50 mph winds. I had 4 ft drifts in my driveway and for 8 hours it was just scoop, drive and dump was the name of the game. Other spots had 6 to 8 inches of snow, and with the rear blade angled taking half a pass I really had to steer with the brakes. I couldn't get out in my marsh Groom the atv or snowmobile trails. I'd either bottom out the tractor or loose traction pushing with the loader. I couldn't push backwards with the blade either.

Granted this was a big storm, my atv wouldn't of had a chance against it, and a skidloader or a 1ton truck would've struggled too. I was just curious if anyone else struggled or struggles with bigger storms. I know every snow is difficult and sometimes requires different tools. I feel defeated with this last storm......even though we only get something like that every 3 years. I'm really thinking of a snow blower after this storm. I have an idea on a brand and prefer a 3 point just had to squeezing the trigger on that much money on a maybe use.

My tractor is completely stock. No extra weight or fluid in the tires, and r14's. I can tell a difference when I have the box blade on vs the straight blade for rear weight. I'm sure those things would help to a point but again I guess I'm just seeing if others struggle too........trying to make myself feel good haha. I my opinion I think a blower would be a nice plan of attack.

Thanks for your input.
I feel your pain. I have only a small plow blade. I plow every couple of inches to stay ahead of the storms. If I let the snow get close to 10 inches my little B has real problems getting traction. Chains help.

Yooper

Lifetime Member

Equipment
3901 LA525
May 31, 2015
NE Wisconsin
I agree that chains would be a game changer for you. That last storm was difficult with that wet snow and the ground not being frozen. (I am north of you by Green Bay)

You sure about a snowblower on an open station tractor? I wouldn’t consider it unless I had a cab.

Foxrunfarms

Equipment
Apr 25, 2023
WI
I agree that chains would be a game changer for you. That last storm was difficult with that wet snow and the ground not being frozen. (I am north of you by Green Bay)

You sure about a snowblower on an open station tractor? I wouldn’t consider it unless I had a cab.
Thanks . I think they would also to a degree. On the farm the 1st loader tractor had them, but then the next one didn't. I remember 1 fall needing them on a tractor to chop corn silage. I believe I read you'd need spacers for chains which if chains help, and would speed up the process everything is well worth the investment.

One time I filled in for a sidewalk guy at work and A tractor and blower went went down so the dealer loaned up a Kubota open station with front blower. That wasn't fun in the wind. I was thinking if I go with a rear mount maybe I could get a piece of safety glass and bolt it to the the rops as some sort of protection. Getting soaking wet for a short amount of time vs 8 hours dry goes hand in hand to me.

The family and I go to greenbay about twice a year. We really like the zoo. The train museum is on the list to stop at too. Sadly never been to a packer game yet.