Noob Kubota owner

Zedrex

Equipment
L4212DT
Nov 20, 2023
New Zealand
So just bought an L4212DT and looking for an operators manual. Some levers are obvious, others are a mystery. Wanting to get a rundown on what does what and how to engage/disengage some levers that seem disinclined to move at all! Thanks in advance for your patience and your help!

Grandad4

Equipment
1949 Farmall M, previously owned: L 4610, BX 2230
Apr 5, 2016
Greensboro, NC
I think you maybe need to double-check that model number. There is nothing wth a "4212" in any of the manufacturer or outside lists of Kubota tractor models that I know of. The closest one is "L4200".

Possibly a grey market tractor never sold in the US or the model number for an attachment on the tractor like a front end loader?

Look for a model-serial number plate on the chassis somewhere, usually on the frame rails beneath the engine.

Photos would be helpful.

Reactions: 1 user

pigdoc

Equipment
G1800S L2500
Aug 19, 2022
SE Pennsylvania
I counted seven videos of the L4212DT on youtube!
I didn't spend much time surfing them, but you might find one where the seller is demonstrating the controls. There's one of a driver demonstrating the L4202...

Definitely a grey market machine.
Many of these tractors are in Viet Nam.
I noticed that the engine is a naturally aspirated 4-cylinder (V- for "vier", German for 4).
Very interesting.

I have a L4202/L3202 parts list around, if that could help...It's mostly in English, some Japanese.

-Paul

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Yea a L4212 is a Grey market unit, being that your in New Zealand that probably doesn't mean much to you.
To sum it up, those tractors were never meant to be shipped or sold outside of mainland Japan, and because of that very little info or written materials are available.
If you can get the model number off the engine (it will be stamped on an upwards facing flat spot just to the side of the injection pump), I then can use that to give you at least some info.
Now as far as controls, that has a unique transmission that was made by by a third party so watch videos to get any info you can.

Zedrex

Equipment
L4212DT
Nov 20, 2023
New Zealand
I think you maybe need to double-check that model number. There is nothing wth a "4212" in any of the manufacturer or outside lists of Kubota tractor models that I know of. The closest one is "L4200".

Possibly a grey market tractor never sold in the US or the model number for an attachment on the tractor like a front end loader?

Look for a model-serial number plate on the chassis somewhere, usually on the frame rails beneath the engine.

Photos would be helpful.
G'day, pics below of the unit, couldn't find a model plate anywhere but have posted a pic of the engine number in my reply to wolfman, thanks for any help your able to offer, my first mission is to track down the cause of the oil thats blowing out the exhaust, I suspect a seal on the turbo but open to what those with more knowledge may think!
IMG20231211102938[1].jpg

Zedrex

Equipment
L4212DT
Nov 20, 2023
New Zealand
Yea a L4212 is a Grey market unit, being that your in New Zealand that probably doesn't mean much to you.
To sum it up, those tractors were never meant to be shipped or sold outside of mainland Japan, and because of that very little info or written materials are available.
If you can get the model number off the engine (it will be stamped on an upwards facing flat spot just to the side of the injection pump), I then can use that to give you at least some info.
Now as far as controls, that has a unique transmission that was made by by a third party so watch videos to get any info you can.
G'day, thanks for your input, pic below of engine number, every label on the unit is in Japanese so I think you're correct on this units origin, look forward to any info you can provide, cheers
IMG20231211104224[1].jpg

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Here is a manual to help you out.

To check for oil seal on turbo, pull the turbo off and if there is oil in the exhaust manifold then it's a valve seal, if it's only on the output of the turbo then it's an oil seal.

Zedrex

Equipment
L4212DT
Nov 20, 2023
New Zealand
I counted seven videos of the L4212DT on youtube!
I didn't spend much time surfing them, but you might find one where the seller is demonstrating the controls. There's one of a driver demonstrating the L4202...

Definitely a grey market machine.
Many of these tractors are in Viet Nam.
I noticed that the engine is a naturally aspirated 4-cylinder (V- for "vier", German for 4).
Very interesting.

I have a L4202/L3202 parts list around, if that could help...It's mostly in English, some Japanese.

-Paul
Gday Paul,
Thanks for the reply, the parts list would for sure be helpful, so if you could flick that over that would be much appreciated. I've seen a bunch of video's on You tube....sadly I don't speak Vietnamese!

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
The L4200 is way too new and nothing like your L4212.
The one issue with these models is they were not built by Kubota they were built by Daedong.
They have a Kubota engine in them and a few Kubota parts, but the majority of the hard parts are completely different.
The drive train was 100% Daedong and none of the Kubota parts cross over to it.
The engine in that model was not even used in Kubota tractors, it was used in Bobcat skid steer.