Aluminum Ramps for loading/unloading your tractor or skid steer?

Trimley

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX23SLSB-R-1 plus additions
Jul 25, 2023
PNW-WA
I don't care to hear about your METAL ramps, or why you do not use Aluminum ramps.

The question:

Whats the longest pair of Aluminum ramps you have used to load your tractor or skid steer?

OntheRidge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L47 TLB, Homestead 55" grapple, LP 1684 rear blade, WR Long 84" snowplow
Nov 1, 2020
I got no ramps, no trailer, but the term "weight rating" comes to mind.

Reactions: 1 users

MapleLeafFarmer

Equipment
Lots incl. B and L kubotas
Dec 2, 2019
E.
I don't care to hear about your METAL ramps, or why you do not use Aluminum ramps.

The question:

Whats the longest pair of Aluminum ramps you have used to load your tractor or skid steer?
the longest alum. I have used is 36' long by 7' wide that elevates to a height of about 6' but the max height I am guessing on a bit. Made by JH ramps.

why do you ask lengths?

ramps can be had in any length imaginable I would guess but a 36 footer is plenty long to not hang up as you make transition from ramp onto / into a semi. Even our fork lift transitions well at this slope. (1/6 slope)

Trimley

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 25, 2023
PNW-WA
the longest alum. I have used is 36' long by 7' wide that elevates to a height of about 6' but the max height I am guessing on a bit. Made by JH ramps.

why do you ask lengths?

ramps can be had in any length imaginable I would guess but a 36 footer is plenty long to not hang up as you make transition from ramp onto / into a semi. Even a low profile fork lift transitions well at this slope. (1/6 slope)
I ask out of curiosity, mainly due to the substrate (above approx 8ft) is out of the norm for tractoring. Aluminum ramps in the heavy duty ratings are not cheap.

Real-World (first hand) usage is always nice to know.

Reactions: 1 user

Trimley

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 25, 2023
PNW-WA
Ramps to load onto what exactly? When I ship +10,000# equipment it goes on a lowboy trailer or tilt-n-load deck.
You're straying into metal. I'm not talking equipment/wide/heavy/oversize load. I mean for things 3-6k.

MapleLeafFarmer

Equipment
Lots incl. B and L kubotas
Dec 2, 2019
E.
I ask out of curiosity, mainly due to the substrate (above approx 8ft) is out of the norm for tractoring. Aluminum ramps in the heavy duty ratings are not cheap.

Real-World (first hand) usage is always nice to know.
you be right not cheap.... around here custom manufacturing of alum. stuff running about $10 / lb. cover the material / labour / design / etc... for things like ramps.

Trimley

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 25, 2023
PNW-WA
you be right not cheap.... around here custom manufacturing of alum. stuff running about $10 / lb. cover the material / labour / design / etc... for things like ramps.
Hell, in my neck of the woods, Weld Shop rates are average $180/hr, not including material. Nothing (remnants) are had as "scrap bin"...as everything in that category is being sold by the pound. If it's clean, I'm charged new clean price based on specific type and grade, same goes for anything left over from the Plasma Table (which is not clean due to slag and heat hazed) which is rediculous.

I'm hitting recycling/scrap yards for pieces here and there. Nothing sits in piles anymore, so if I do find something, which is rarely anymore, I grab it immediately.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
re: Weld Shop rates are average $180/hr,
yikes ! I was happy as a clam making 60/hr aka buck a minute plowing snow....

I have a great deal with local fab/weld shop. i can have anything from the bin AND use his forklift to haul the heavies out. It's all been paid for by the client.
Just pulled some 1.5000 x 8.125 steel pins from it. What can I used them for ???? Jes too good to goto China !

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Hell Jay you are a wheeler dealer, the shops around ,here even for cutoffs or left overs from a job still charge full price

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
It finally sunk in after my best friend died that helping neighbours is a very good thing. While I have zero need for the BX23S here on my patch, helping neighbours has given me free steel, free eggs, free homemade strudels and soups, free ginger snap cookies, free 'grain fed local venison and several young healthy bodies when I need 'muscle'. I can also 'play' on 14 acres whenever I want.

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 Utility Special 4WD e/w FEL & 1530 John Deere "Traveling Man"
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
Whatever ramp(s) you use, if they are not permanently attached to the trailer, please firmly attach them before loading/unloading.