Snow blower for a 2004 BX23

sandman537

Oct 14, 2023
NWPA
What snow blower is compatible with a 2004 BX23? I've found confusing info, such as a 2750D, BX5450 and a dealer recommended a B2789. These may all work, I don't know. Too many options avaiable, lol.

animals45

Equipment
L3301l
Apr 22, 2021
Mabie CA
Find the specs for yer 3PT & then google 3PT snowblower . Pick a few different models & they start asking questions about those specific blowers .
animals45

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
You should post if you want 3PH ( rear) blower or a front mounted one. If front, power from tractor or self powered attached to SSQA loader.

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
What snow blower is compatible with a 2004 BX23? I've found confusing info, such as a 2750D, BX5450 and a dealer recommended a B2789. These may all work, I don't know. Too many options avaiable, lol.
All versions of the BX2750 with and without the letter suffix will work. I am not familiar with the B2789, so I had to look it up. It is a rear 3-point hitch mount snowblower which I wouldn't recommend. I suggest that if you have the time, you search Facebook Marketplace and Craigslist for a used snowblower. There is also another snowblower available that was a commercial version of the BX2750 with a gear-driven transmission instead of the chain-driven one. It is a B2781 and used they are a lot more difficult to find. I had one that I sold last winter and it went for $3500, and the fellow that bought it said that he had been looking for one for well over a couple of years.

sandman537

Oct 14, 2023
NWPA
All versions of the BX2750 with and without the letter suffix will work. I am not familiar with the B2789, so I had to look it up. It is a rear 3-point hitch mount snowblower which I wouldn't recommend. I suggest that if you have the time, you search Facebook Marketplace and Craigslist for a used snowblower. There is also another snowblower available that was a commercial version of the BX2750 with a gear-driven transmission instead of the chain-driven one. It is a B2781 and used they are a lot more difficult to find. I had one that I sold last winter and it went for $3500, and the fellow that bought it said that he had been looking for one for well over a couple of years.
I appreciate the reply. Front mount is what I would like to have and was pretty confident that the 2750 series was correct. Is the BX5450 compatible as well? I'm not sure that the mounting hardware would work. My tractor is too old (2004) for the quick hitch style. Where do you look up this information? TIA

DustyRusty

Equipment
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
I appreciate the reply. Front mount is what I would like to have and was pretty confident that the 2750 series was correct. Is the BX5450 compatible as well? I'm not sure that the mounting hardware would work. My tractor is too old (2004) for the quick hitch style. Where do you look up this information? TIA
The BX5450 snowblower will also work with your tractor. Some of this is from personal knowledge having had a BX22 twenty years ago and now owning a BX23S (not to be confused with the original BX23, early 2000 version tractor) When the BX22 was introduced they had a front-mounted snowblower "quick hitch" that mounted to the front of the tractor frame and it has a "duck bill" male and female type of connector that mates together to create a uniform system. The tractor side of the hitch came in two configurations, one was with a driveshaft that connected to the front PTO of the tractor under the operator's seat, and the basic unit that didn't have the power connection. The one without the power connection was for using a snowplow. The power connection was an option for the basic unit.
To install the "quick hitch" you would hand it on the front of the frame, and then insert 2 long pins that would connect underneath. Then you tightened two tee handles that would draw two clamping parts to the back side of the front frame plate. This original unit will fit all BX tractors that have ever been made even up till today. It was a simple device that was relatively easy to install on the tractor, other than for the weight of lifting it on and off.
Next came the K Connect device that was introduced with the Series 80 tractors, where the mounting hardware for the snowblower is permanently mounted inside of the front of the tractor frame, and the actual hitch hangs from that hardware using a single pin to secure it. It also has a driveshaft that connects to the front PTO shaft just like the original unit. It is a little easier to install and remove than the older unit. The basic snowblowers from the BX2750 to the current model that is being sold today are all the same with the exception of the mounting hardware. In reality, if you had a BX2750 snowblower and wanted to use it with the new K Connect all you would have to do is to purchase the mounting and drive hardware pieces. The only reason that people don't do this is because these parts are very expensive to purchase.
When I answer a question about snowblowers for the BX series tractors I go to www.messicks.com website and enter the snowblower unit number into their search engine for parts. Then I look at the diagram of the rear of the blower to determine what type of connection to the tractor it has. Once I have this information I know all that is necessary to answer the basic questions since I have had both designs and 20 years of experience with Kubota snowblowers. I also had to do "emergency" repairs in the middle of winter when the snowblower got indigestion after attempting to digest a large rock. That one experience was an expensive one that required replacing the second-stage impeller and the chain drive. I also had to straighten the auger on one side. The "repaired" auger was out of balance, and I never got around to replacing it, so for the next 10 or 12 years the snowblower would vibrate when operated at full speed, but it always blew snow as well as before it was damaged. They are extremely well-built units. I wouldn't hesitate to purchase a used one unless it was badly rusted or appeared to have been abused. If you are mechanically inclined, there is nothing on the snowblower that you couldn't repair on your own. It doesn't require anything other than regular hand tools for most operations. If you want to learn more about the mechanical side of the snowblower, go to the Messicks website and print out some of the parts pictures.

Reactions: 1 users

edritchey

Lifetime Member

Equipment
A bunch of cute little Kubotas
Jul 19, 2014
Wellsville, PA
Any of the BX2750 variations will work with the correct mount for you tractor.

Reactions: 1 user

sandman537

Oct 14, 2023
NWPA
The BX5450 snowblower will also work with your tractor. Some of this is from personal knowledge having had a BX22 twenty years ago and now owning a BX23S (not to be confused with the original BX23, early 2000 version tractor) When the BX22 was introduced they had a front-mounted snowblower "quick hitch" that mounted to the front of the tractor frame and it has a "duck bill" male and female type of connector that mates together to create a uniform system. The tractor side of the hitch came in two configurations, one was with a driveshaft that connected to the front PTO of the tractor under the operator's seat, and the basic unit that didn't have the power connection. The one without the power connection was for using a snowplow. The power connection was an option for the basic unit.
To install the "quick hitch" you would hand it on the front of the frame, and then insert 2 long pins that would connect underneath. Then you tightened two tee handles that would draw two clamping parts to the back side of the front frame plate. This original unit will fit all BX tractors that have ever been made even up till today. It was a simple device that was relatively easy to install on the tractor, other than for the weight of lifting it on and off.
Next came the K Connect device that was introduced with the Series 80 tractors, where the mounting hardware for the snowblower is permanently mounted inside of the front of the tractor frame, and the actual hitch hangs from that hardware using a single pin to secure it. It also has a driveshaft that connects to the front PTO shaft just like the original unit. It is a little easier to install and remove than the older unit. The basic snowblowers from the BX2750 to the current model that is being sold today are all the same with the exception of the mounting hardware. In reality, if you had a BX2750 snowblower and wanted to use it with the new K Connect all you would have to do is to purchase the mounting and drive hardware pieces. The only reason that people don't do this is because these parts are very expensive to purchase.
When I answer a question about snowblowers for the BX series tractors I go to www.messicks.com website and enter the snowblower unit number into their search engine for parts. Then I look at the diagram of the rear of the blower to determine what type of connection to the tractor it has. Once I have this information I know all that is necessary to answer the basic questions since I have had both designs and 20 years of experience with Kubota snowblowers. I also had to do "emergency" repairs in the middle of winter when the snowblower got indigestion after attempting to digest a large rock. That one experience was an expensive one that required replacing the second-stage impeller and the chain drive. I also had to straighten the auger on one side. The "repaired" auger was out of balance, and I never got around to replacing it, so for the next 10 or 12 years the snowblower would vibrate when operated at full speed, but it always blew snow as well as before it was damaged. They are extremely well-built units. I wouldn't hesitate to purchase a used one unless it was badly rusted or appeared to have been abused. If you are mechanically inclined, there is nothing on the snowblower that you couldn't repair on your own. It doesn't require anything other than regular hand tools for most operations. If you want to learn more about the mechanical side of the snowblower, go to the Messicks website and print out some of the parts pictures.
Again, thank you for taking the time to research and post this information. I do have a 5' plow that uses the same set up, minus the PTO option. I know that the physical hook up will work, I wasn't sure about the power set up. Thanks again.

DustyRusty

Equipment
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Again, thank you for taking the time to research and post this information. I do have a 5' plow that uses the same set up, minus the PTO option. I know that the physical hook up will work, I wasn't sure about the power set up. Thanks again.
The power setup can be purchased, but there is a good chance that the cost will be prohibitive as compared to purchasing a used one. If you find a used one, you might be able to sell your nonpowered hitch to someone who just wants a snowplow.