LA1353 Loader Operating Question

InsideTrader

Aug 23, 2023
Broken Arrow
I have a new to me orange tractor with an LA1353 and I used it to move round bales around for the first time this weekend. At one point the tractor was in motion and, for visibility reasons, I lowered the loader and to my surprise I had an RPM drop before the governor compensated for it. I then raised it again and the strain on the engine was hardly noticeable. When lowering it again the engine took on a noticeable increased load. In my mind the struggle should be to lift the load, not lower the load. Why is the tractor having to work harder to lower than to lift? I was hoping someone could make this make sense in my brain.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
I have a new to me orange tractor with an LA1353 and I used it to move round bales around for the first time this weekend. At one point the tractor was in motion and, for visibility reasons, I lowered the loader and to my surprise I had an RPM drop before the governor compensated for it. I then raised it again and the strain on the engine was hardly noticeable. When lowering it again the engine took on a noticeable increased load. In my mind the struggle should be to lift the load, not lower the load. Why is the tractor having to work harder to lower than to lift? I was hoping someone could make this make sense in my brain.
Don't know anything about that loader but the bigger loaders have some sophisticated controls. WAG - the LA1353 loader has a self leveling control valve and when lowering it has to curl the bale upwards to maintain the relative angle of the bale spear. That requires high hydraulic pressure.

Dan

InsideTrader

Aug 23, 2023
Broken Arrow
Don't know anything about that loader but the bigger loaders have some sophisticated controls. WAG - the LA1353 loader has a self leveling control valve and when lowering it has to curl the bale upwards to maintain level. That requires high hydraulic pressure.

Dan
WHAT?! I would love more info on the self leveling feature. I was not aware the LA1353 had such a thing.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
How would one know which option one has?
Look at the valve - the self leveling is visually different.

Or just watch it at work, Raise the loader to full height and set the bale spear to level. Now lower the boom but do not curl/dump and watch the bale spear. If the bale spear stays level as it lowers you have a magical self leveling loader. If the bale spear tips pitch downward as the boom lowers your loader is devoid of magic.

Dan

Reactions: 1 user

InsideTrader

Aug 23, 2023
Broken Arrow
Look at the valve - the self leveling is visually different.

Or just watch it at work, Raise the loader to full height and set the bale spear to level. Now lower the boom but do not curl/dump and watch the bale spear. If the bale spear stays level as it lowers you have a magical self leveling loader. If the bale spear tips pitch downward as the boom lowers your loader is devoid of magic.

Dan
Mine definitely does not self level. I didn't know if self leveling hydraulically was something that could be turned on or off and that maybe mine was simply turned off.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Mine definitely does not self level. I didn't know if self leveling hydraulically was something that could be turned on or off and that maybe mine was simply turned off.
Not switch selecatble as far as I know. But if your loader is not self leveling and you are manually leveling the bale spear(s) as you lower the bale you get the same hydraulic result. The bucket cylinder pressure spikes and teh engine loads up as you tilt the bale backwards.

Dan

InsideTrader

Aug 23, 2023
Broken Arrow
Not switch selecatble as far as I know. But if your loader is not self leveling and you are manually leveling the bale spear(s) as you lower the bale you get the same hydraulic result. The bucket cylinder pressure spikes and teh engine loads up as you tilt the bale backwards.

Dan
No, I was simply dropping the loader and not curling the forks at all. I am still inexperienced enough that I am pretty much doing one operation at a time. :)

6869704x4

Equipment
L45TLB, 49 8N, 57 641, RTV-X1120D, Z422
Jun 29, 2011
SE, NM
Mine does the same thing.
TL1000A loader. Self level is selectable, I don't use it.

InsideTrader

Aug 23, 2023
Broken Arrow
I bet your operator's manual will tell you.
You would lose that bet. My local dealer got me a manual for the tractor. I have not been able to find a manual for the loader except for a workshop manual and those do not cover the controls. I have looked at parts diagrams from messicks and they do not have that lever depicted in the diagrams that I found.