Front Winch...

06B3030

Equipment
B3030, LA403, BH75, York Rake, Plug Aerator, 6' Rear Mower, Forks, Weight Box
Sep 21, 2015
MA
I decided to put an electric winch on the front of the tractor. I sold my Jeep that had a winch, which i used to pull equipment out of my basement. I went with a HF 5000# winch, as I don't expect to be pulling anything heavier than 500-600#.

First thing was to make a mount for the front of the tractor. I made a paper template so I could transfer the holes to my 1/4" plate. I tacked a length of 2 1/2" square tubing to the plate, and placed the winch on it to figure out how long it needed to be.

IMG-8550.jpg

With the length figured out, I removed it, and started welding up the rest of the mount.
A little "overkill" but that's how I roll! 🤪

IMG-8565.jpg

Next I needed to figure out how to fit the electrical up front by the battery.
I made a bracket to mount the solenoid next to the battery.

IMG-8574.jpg

Mounted the plate to the front along with the winch, and made my electrical connections.

IMG-8580.jpg

Cut a notch out of the bottom corner of the grille for the wires to go to the winch.
Covered the two cables with some wire loom to make it look neat. Mounted the controller connector right under the grill, attaching it to the cables.
This way it doesn't impede pulling the grille or side panel off if it were mounted to either one of those.

IMG-8816.jpg

Got rid of the wire line and rollers, and used synthetic rope an aluminum fairlead.
That gave me about an inch of clearance to the guard for the hydraulic lines.
Cut a piece of rubber mat from Tractor Supply to make a bumper for the d-ring.

IMG-8685.jpg

Ran a strap around a tree, and used a snatch block to route the rope back to the hook on the tractor.
Had no problem moving the tractor...should work out well for what I need it for.

IMG-8818.jpg

Pretty happy overall with the setup. Relatively inexpensive mod!

However...with the winch, I decided to install the 40 amp alternator upgrade kit.
The little dynamo wasn't going to cut it!🤪

Looks a lot more "Sexy" with the little dynamo gone!!! 😜

Alternator 18.jpg

Alternator 17.jpg

Reactions: 6 users

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, Ford 8N, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
Looks really good and clean. I’ve thought about that for my B but I don’t think I have much clearance to the loader frame cross pipe. How much clearance to the load frame cross pipe when put the loader bucket below tires?

06B3030

Equipment
Sep 21, 2015
MA
Looks really good and clean. I’ve thought about that for my B but I don’t think I have much clearance to the loader frame cross pipe. How much clearance to the load frame cross pipe when put the loader bucket below tires?
What you have to make sure clears, is the "bracket" that protects the hydraulic lines.

I have about an inch of clearance at it's closest point in the swing. Nothing will move to cause a problem.

Fairlead Spacing.jpg

IMG-8685.jpg

Reactions: 1 users

ve9aa

Equipment
TG1860, BX2380 -backblade, bx2830 snowblower, fel, weight box,pallet forks,etc
Apr 11, 2021
NB, Canada
Very nice! Have you used it to yank anything so far?

Smokeydog

Equipment
M59, B26 grapples, backhoes, tillers, graders, diesel atv
Jun 2, 2020
knoxville, Tennessee
Great fabrication! like the stout mount. Nice welds. Hooks or shackle holes for double line?

Hope the terminals under the seat get some protection.

like winches. Handy for stretching fences. Thoughts on making it a receiver hitch to be movable front to back? Anderson plugs carry that much current?

Front of my tractor sure takes a beating moving and stacking brush and trees.

Reactions: 1 user

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
Love it man!

Nice job fabbinbg it up for sure.

Did you paint it, or coat it with something else?

06B3030

Equipment
Sep 21, 2015
MA
Very nice! Have you used it to yank anything so far?
Just the tractor. Had it sitting in neutral, and pulled it 10' or so. If it doesn't rain today I'll be pulling an engine out of the basement.

06B3030

Equipment
Sep 21, 2015
MA
Masterfull fabrication and installation. I wish I could make things like that. Very nice job!
Thanks...helps when you have the tools!

06B3030

Equipment
Sep 21, 2015
MA
Love it man!

Nice job fabbinbg it up for sure.

Did you paint it, or coat it with something else?
Painted it. I do have a HF powder coating kit and a small toaster oven I've used for small parts. Wish I had a bigger oven!

06B3030

Equipment
Sep 21, 2015
MA
Great fabrication! like the stout mount. Nice welds. Hooks or shackle holes for double line?

Hope the terminals under the seat get some protection.

like winches. Handy for stretching fences. Thoughts on making it a receiver hitch to be movable front to back? Anderson plugs carry that much current?

Front of my tractor sure takes a beating moving and stacking brush and trees.
I loop the line/rope back to the tractor with a snatch block, and connect it to the tow hook on the frame.

I'm probably going to fab a "protective bar" of some sort to protect the front of the winch. Probably mount it using the bolts for the front brush guard.

Tow Hooks.jpg

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
Very nice job! I like the way it's mounted allowing it to remain while the loader is on.

For pulling loads that will slide the tractor I'd figure out how to connect an anchor from the winch mount to something behind the tractor. Otherwise you're using 10,000 pounds trying to stretch the tractor if you connect the drawbar or 3 PH to the anchor. You'll probably see the tractor slide even using a single line.

06B3030

Equipment
Sep 21, 2015
MA
Very nice job! I like the way it's mounted allowing it to remain while the loader is on.

For pulling loads that will slide the tractor I'd figure out how to connect an anchor from the winch mount to something behind the tractor. Otherwise you're using 10,000 pounds trying to stretch the tractor if you connect the drawbar or 3 PH to the anchor. You'll probably see the tractor slide even using a single line.
Thanks...I'm not planning on pulling anything that heavy. I pulled a 300Z motor out of my basement this morning. I just set the brakes and the tractor didn't move. I screwed a piece of plywood to the stairs, then pulled/slid the motor up with the winch. Then connected a chain to it and lifted it up and out.

Lifting 300Z Motor.jpg

Reactions: 2 users

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
nice, clean install !
suggestion. wrap the yel/blu cables with garden hose to prevent chaffing on the frame. yes, it'll take a long time but eventually they'll wear through...pzzzap !

Local offroad club members laughed when I showed up with my Willys with winch mounted in the rear ( 'not cool' ). I said WHY would I want to pull myself FURTHER into the mud ? Blank stares......

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

Showmedata

Equipment
LX3310
May 18, 2022
Boulder CO
Well darn. Your install looks beautiful and inspired me, but there is nowhere near enough space on my LX. The gap between the grille guard and loader is only a couple of inches. ☹