converting a mid mower to a dethatcher / leveler

oxfordbob

Equipment
B7300 and B2630
Dec 4, 2016
Michigan
I have a 60 inch mid mower on a B7300. Been thinking of gearing it down, putting on dethatching blades, and using it to shave off the many bumpy spots I have on my 10 acres. The ground is so bumpy, if I could smooth it out some, I could knock 1/3 to 1/2 of my mowing time off. I thought I'd need to gear it down or it will just tear everything up. Anybody try that, or have another idea on leveling that much area? Thought about a Harley power rake, but the local guy wants $400 to rent one. I made a drag-behind thatcher with flexible steel tines, but it would take many trips to do anything - hence the thought of using the mid-mower. Now that I have a bigger tractor and 72" mower, it just sits anyway. Thanks! Also, it seems 16" is the biggest dethatcher mower blade available - true?

Reactions: 1 user

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
query. do you have more 'mountains' or 'valleys' ?

It might be easier to fill the valleys with topsoil, grass seed, than chop the tops off the mountains.

Now re-reading your post you have 10 ACRES of lawn to cut !!! Always curious as to why people want more than 1/2 acre to cut and look nice.....

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Run a land plane over it!
My grass areas are 100% better after I did it.
I do have very sandy ground though.

Reactions: 1 user

oxfordbob

Equipment
B7300 and B2630
Dec 4, 2016
Michigan
query. do you have more 'mountains' or 'valleys' ?

It might be easier to fill the valleys with topsoil, grass seed, than chop the tops off the mountains.

Now re-reading your post you have 10 ACRES of lawn to cut !!! Always curious as to why people want more than 1/2 acre to cut and look nice.....
We do have 10 acres, but not all of it is mowed. I just read an article that says ticks love tall grass. I know one guy who's mom died from Lyme disease and have a neighbor that suffers from it. They have treatment, but no cure that I know of. I'm told it helps keep the little rodents at bay as well. Had one camper "totaled" by the insurance company for mouse damage.. I'm retired, so I don't mind - and it looks nice.

oxfordbob

Equipment
B7300 and B2630
Dec 4, 2016
Michigan
Run a land plane over it!
My grass areas are 100% better after I did it.
I do have very sandy ground though.
Hadn't thought of that (actually did not know of it). Was yours an established "lawn" that you wanted to smooth out or starting from scratch? I assume it tore it up pretty much. Was trying to figure a way to minimize the destruction, but maybe unavoidable. Also wondered if I "floated" a tiller to do a shave, if that would work.

Was told by a dealer that a land plane on sod would make a mess. Better to start over than that.

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Hadn't thought of that (actually did not know of it). Was yours an established "lawn" that you wanted to smooth out or starting from scratch? I assume it tore it up pretty much. Was trying to figure a way to minimize the destruction, but maybe unavoidable. Also wondered if I "floated" a tiller to do a shave, if that would work.

Was told by a dealer that a land plane on sod would make a mess. Better to start over than that.
I have used it on both established and newer lawns.
Yes on newer lawns it's a bit rough, on but they popped right back into shape, and they were smooth!
Established lawns, I found cutting it really short helped with peeling the high spots off of it without destroying it.

Last edited:

oxfordbob

Equipment
B7300 and B2630
Dec 4, 2016
Michigan
I have used it on both established and newer lawns.
Yes on newer lawns it's a bit rough, on but they popped right back into shape, and they were smooth!
Established lawns, I found cutting it really short helped with peeling the high spots off of it without destroying it.
Interesting. I'll have to see if any places nearby rent those. Thanks for getting back to me.

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
We do have 10 acres, but not all of it is mowed. I just read an article that says ticks love tall grass. I know one guy who's mom died from Lyme disease and have a neighbor that suffers from it. They have treatment, but no cure that I know of. I'm told it helps keep the little rodents at bay as well. Had one camper "totaled" by the insurance company for mouse damage.. I'm retired, so I don't mind - and it looks nice.
My neighbors at the cottage have about 10 "Guinea hens" and a bunch of chickens that "roam" all over the cut areas of ours, and theirs property, they really help keep the ticks at bay.

They are cool as hell. I love watching them, and using my tukery call to "mess" with them after a cocktail or two..... 😁

1694173583029.png

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
I also treat my "woods" clothing with this. It works great.

1694174001309.png

Vigo

Equipment
B6100, B8200
Jan 9, 2022
San Antonio Texas
Dont let your cats snuggle up to your dirty laundry if theres permethrin on it. Not sure which other animals might be affected. I know dogs are ok.

Anyway, i think dethatching blades are not going to do any contouring of the ground. I think if you are trying to knock down high spots you have to accept that you will also have bare spots for a certain amount of time unless you install sod or something afterwards.