Kubota MX5100 no power, lots of repairs -- head scratcher.

Ryansfarm

Equipment
John Deere B, Kubota MX5100, Massey Ferguson 255
Sep 6, 2023
Hello,

Long time reader, first time poster.

I have a 2013 Kubota MX5100 with 400 hours that is losing power once the engine gets warm. It's been serviced twice at two different Kubota dealers and it only resolves the problem for a few hours of operation.

Symptoms: Starts easily and idles well, operates fine until the engine gets warm. Once warm it loses power to the point that it barely runs, barely moves. It smokes really bad and the exhaust smells like unburnt fuel.

Past issues: Has overheated while brush mowing. Took a service call to get it started.

Repairs to date: New fuel, multiple new fuel filters, new inner and outer air filters, cleaned radiator fins, fuel tank inspected, new turbo, new fuel pump assembly, broken glow plug replaced, resurfaced cylinder head, new cylinder head gasket, replaced piston rings, injection pump rebuilt, new injection pump, inspected injectors, checked the valves, checked compression and the fuel lines. $7k of repairs and still has the same problem.

Does anyone have any ideas???? Not sure what to do next besides a new head?

Thanks for any suggestions,

Ryan in Michigan

markfay

Equipment
Kubota mx5100D
Sep 6, 2023
Okla
Hello,

Long time reader, first time poster.

I have a 2013 Kubota MX5100 with 400 hours that is losing power once the engine gets warm. It's been serviced twice at two different Kubota dealers and it only resolves the problem for a few hours of operation.

Symptoms: Starts easily and idles well, operates fine until the engine gets warm. Once warm it loses power to the point that it barely runs, barely moves. It smokes really bad and the exhaust smells like unburnt fuel.

Past issues: Has overheated while brush mowing. Took a service call to get it started.

Repairs to date: New fuel, multiple new fuel filters, new inner and outer air filters, cleaned radiator fins, fuel tank inspected, new turbo, new fuel pump assembly, broken glow plug replaced, resurfaced cylinder head, new cylinder head gasket, replaced piston rings, injection pump rebuilt, new injection pump, inspected injectors, checked the valves, checked compression and the fuel lines. $7k of repairs and still has the same problem.

Does anyone have any ideas???? Not sure what to do next besides a new head?

Thanks for any suggestions,

Ryan in Michigan
I am having same symptoms was thinking turbo till I read your situation. I have been cautioned about biodiesel causing this possibly, I don't use it so that shouldn't be my problem. If you are using g biodiesel you might try draining system and refilling with a good grade of diesel??

Ryansfarm

Equipment
John Deere B, Kubota MX5100, Massey Ferguson 255
Sep 6, 2023
I am having same symptoms was thinking turbo till I read your situation. I have been cautioned about biodiesel causing this possibly, I don't use it so that shouldn't be my problem. If you are using g biodiesel you might try draining system and refilling with a good grade of diesel??
I only use low sulfur diesel, on or off-road. That's interesting that yours having the same symptoms. How many hours does your have?

Richardj

Equipment
Kubota MX 5100
Oct 10, 2023
Arkansas
I changed the fuel filter and opened the bleeder valve as instructed by manual . The tractor runs but still acts like there is air in system. Should I bleed the injector pump. The filter as a slight leak to it .