BXpanded Thumb,Root Ripper, quick connect- Problems-Warranty

theironmonger

Equipment
b2601
May 2, 2023
vermont
This is my letter to the BBB
Also my review on youtube

Honestly, I was very conflicted initially about leaving a review as I was informed that this company was very reputable. I have since changed my mind and hope this helps someone make a decision in buying products for your machine. I have spent quite a few hours fixing my machine after using these parts so buyer beware...

Initially, I watched a few reviews on youtube and one guy had the thumb break they sent him out a replacement..But that video has been taken down! Honestly, the other reviews seem to be paid or free parts sent out to them.

I had also called everything attachment and discussed the issue with them and have since ordered another replacement and taken off this junk. I found the ripper to work initially but it bends the pin and ruins the guide in the backhoe arm. Another reviewer said it was the angle and the way the thumb is extended out further from the Kubota backhoe arm. I did discuss this with the owner of BXpanded and he agreed the parts do increase the angle and increase the mechanical limits thus bending the pin and bending the arm and holes. I suggested using a weaker shear pin instead of hardened steel this way it would not damage the actual machine arm...

BBB letter
I bought a Bxpanded Backhoe thumb for my b2601 and used it for about 8 hours over a two-week period to make a rock wall. My machine had 180 hours on it. After an hour, being initially impressed with the thumb, I ordered a few additional parts including a quick connect and a ripper. At the end of the 1st week after around 8 hours of use, I noticed the implement was getting sloppy. The steel drilled out in the metal to adjust the jaw started to get misshapen and the holes became egg-shaped. I moved the adjustment to another hole same thing occurred.
I then called Bxpanded and talked to technical support and sent them a video of the problem their engineer told me that they had never had this happen. So he agreed to send me another one as a replacement. In the meantime my new parts arrived for my machine I went to install them and discovered the long bucket pin sent out with the Bxpanded Backhoe Thumb was bent and caused the wear sleeves in the Backhoe to break at @188.4 hours on the machine!
I had to hire a machinist to come out and remove the bent pin and press in new sleeves in the machine. I was told the pin and steel manufactured by Bexpanded are too weak for my machine!
The machine was laid up for a few days and I took the backhoe off as it was unusable. Finally, 2 months later the new Thumb and parts showed up I installed all the equipment. I immediately noticed that the new parts were very loose the actual bar for the thumb had almost ¼ inch of play. The holes drilled for the pin on the shaft were way too big for the included pin. I tried using the parts and after about an hour of carefully using the machine, the holes started getting egg-shaped again! I called the company again and took another video and pictures of the problems. I again sent the pictures and videos to Bxpanded Engineering dept.
After numerous calls and no response, I called my credit card company and stopped payment on the second order. After approximately a month I received a call from Ryan ‘the owner’------. He asked me to send out detailed photos and measurements of the product I also sent out a video. After numerous conversations and emails spanning months! He agreed that there was definitely an issue with the product. (Phone records and dated emails are attached).
He assured me he would get to the bottom of it.
He finally determined that I was shipped out the wrong product TWO TIMES. I found it very Strange that the parts fit on my machine!
He then agreed they would ship out another replacement. I waited and no parts arrived. I again called and spoke with him numerous times and the parts still never arrived this was after he sent me a non-working FedEx tracking number!!! I assured him that I would be putting a review online about the faulty equipment. After I put up their Google review I received a very nasty email from him that he would not ever be sending out any replacement parts and was banned from buying parts from them.. Honestly, why would I buy anything from them after this?
I also called and spoke with Everything Attachments, another company that I have bought products from. They use hardened steel! I have had no issues with any of their products ...
I also brought the Thumb to Mid Cape Steel and I was told the steel was not strong enough for the application.
At this point, I believe that the owner deliberately misled me he strung me along for over 4 months and gave me several excuses for why they did not ship out a replacement...I think he is aware the product is inadequate.

Nov 7th22
Steve,
Thank you for the photos and info. I came down with a stomach virus yesterday but I should be in this afternoon. I'll give you a call later this afternoon when I get in and have it all sorted out.
Nov29th
Steve,
I apologize for the delay in getting the correct parts sent to you. I was out the entire week before last and the 3 days of last week with Covid…myself, wife, and 3 kids all had it…a full house of Covid. I wanted to check the parts and send them myself to make sure all is correct and fits as designed so it should be leaving here tomorrow. My apologies again for the delay in getting back to you.

March 17 2023
Steve,
I'm currently out of the office but the new one I know was boxed up and ready to ship only a day or two after my whole family had covid after our original conversation. That was quite some time ago so if you don't have it something is wrong. I'll be back in on Monday and will see what happened or did not happen and give you a call and make sure it is taken care of.

April 26th2023
Ryan,
Well I am giving up on this, I will post my review on youtube, Facebook, and Google this week...

April 26th 2023
Hi Steve,
I tried calling and left a message but the tracking number on the shipment is 77196318088 and it says it should actually be delivered tomorrow.

Never shipped it and fake tracking number!

Attachments

N3BP

Equipment
B7200DT, B7200HST-D, L2900GST, L3010 HST TLB
Sep 20, 2016
Lebanon, PA
You're not the only one who has issues with their quality. The knuckleheads couldn't even weld a pin ear on the my tooth properly. I had to take it to a machine shop and have them ream it out so the pin would fit....

Attachments

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
Steve,

Sure sounds like a PITA to me.

Although you should not have to repair new equipment, I have a relatively simple suggestion/solution if it's "within your wheelhouse."

Sounds to me like the "hammering effect" of the pin, onto the relatively small surface area of the pin hole is at least part, or possibly most of the problem.

I would make/buy a pin one or 2 sizes larger than the original.

Then buy/make some 1/2 thick "Boss's" with an I.D. the same diameter as your "new pins" OD. (2 for each hole.)

Ream/drill the old holes to the "new proper" size.

Now use the "new pin" to align the Boss's to the holes, and weld them in place one at a time.

In my head, with that extra surface area the"new Boss's" provide, you would be good to go.

Again, I agree, you shouldn't have to, but......

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
The video is an eye opener and I thank the poster for supplying the link !

If the 'adjustable steel tubing sections' are only 1/8" thick walls , I can see why they're being destroyed. I'd expect them to be a minimum of 3/16" thick walled, though 1/4" would be better. I agree that 'bosses' could /should be welded on and a better( higher ) quality pin be used.

Sadly the company has lived up to it's name and 'EXpanded' the holes !!! Someone 'engineered' the product without properly researching the forces involved and selecting the correct materials for the application. Since others sell 'thumbs', makes me wonder why this company didn't 'check out the competition' before making theirs.

theironmonger

Equipment
b2601
May 2, 2023
vermont
Yes one of my solutions was to buy a bolt then grind it down to get rid of the slop in the holes. Then thought about welding heavy duty metal around the square tube and reinforced metal plate. Never welded anything up. Doing the bolt part helped quite a bit but then the long grease able pin bent the one shipped out by Bxpanded bends this is week metal also. Then of course the back hoe was screwed up. The sleeves broke and new ones had to be pressed in. Talked with the owner about this also...
Simple solution was to take it all off and throw it all in the metal pile.

Tractor Gal

Equipment
BX23D MLB
Oct 30, 2020
NC
I'm saddened to hear this story. I have purchased from Bxpanded and have found them to be excellent in product and personnel.

TG

Reactions: 1 users

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Yes one of my solutions was to buy a bolt then grind it down to get rid of the slop in the holes. Then thought about welding heavy duty metal around the square tube and reinforced metal plate. Never welded anything up. Doing the bolt part helped quite a bit but then the long grease able pin bent the one shipped out by Bxpanded bends this is week metal also. Then of course the back hoe was screwed up. The sleeves broke and new ones had to be pressed in. Talked with the owner about this also...
Simple solution was to take it all off and throw it all in the metal pile.
It would appear that BXpanded uses low quality (not AR400) steel.
BXpanded is likely only acquainted with building light duty thumbs/rippers, for small/lightly used machines.

I have an aftermarket thumb, and an aftermarket ripper on my L48 TLB, both built by different aftermarket fabricators ( ME, and GA)
These accessories added to my machine seem to be indestructible, but they did each cost 3+ times what BXpanded charges.

Last edited:

theironmonger

Equipment
b2601
May 2, 2023
vermont
It would appear that BXpanded uses low quality (not AR400) steel.
BXpanded is likely only acquainted with building light duty thumbs/rippers, for small/lightly used machines.

I have an aftermarket thumb, and an aftermarket ripper on my L48 TLB, both built by different aftermarket fabricators ( ME, and GA)
These accessories added to my machine seem to be indestructible, but they did each cost 3+ times what BXpanded charges.

theironmonger

Equipment
b2601
May 2, 2023
vermont
I have a b2601 at 25 horsepower it is apparent to me that the fit and strength of the steel are inadequate for this machine. So again why sell it? You are probably correct they are used to people buying stuff and actually not using it. It's too bad but they initially seemed like nice people but I was hosed...

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572, Farmi W50R, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
Seems like quite a few here, including me, have their Piranha tooth bar, which the vast majority seem to like. Suspect much of their reputation is built on that tooth bar. Doesn’t mean any of their other stuff is designed or executed with similar quality. Sorry you had such a miserable experience.

Reactions: 3 users

kenrevo

Equipment
B9200
Oct 28, 2019
MA
I had fitment issues with their quick coupler; they sent me 4 or 5 different ones and none work. In the end they did refund me and send a return label the return.

• Wow

theironmonger

Equipment
b2601
May 2, 2023
vermont
I had fitment issues with their quick coupler; they sent me 4 or 5 different ones and none work. In the end they did refund me and send a return label the return.
That seems to be the norm> like I said they did send me out a replacement for the first order then I was told by the owner that they had sent out the wrong thumb twice! Strange how it all bolted up.. I did have the first one for a bit of time but never used it at all so I guess I fit into the category of 'buy and never use ' or seldom use. But when I did, that's when I found out it was junk and broke the machine --Lesson learned. Maybe they should stick to bolt on bars for buckets?

Trimley

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX23SLSB-R-1 plus additions
Jul 25, 2023
PNW-WA
I ordered the BXpanded ripper for my BX23S, that arrives tomorrow. After reading this thread, I'm stymied whether I should be refusing the package from FedEx.

To read of how this situation was or was not dealt with, it does not sit well with me at all.

What should I do?

Last edited:

GrizBota

Equipment
L3830HST/LA724, B2601/LA435/RCK54-32, RCR1872, CDI 66”grapple, pallet forks
Apr 26, 2023
Oregon
I ordered the BXpanded ripper for my BX23S, that arrives tomorrow. After reading this thread, I'm stymied whether I should be refusing the package from FedEx.

To read of how this situation was or was not dealt with, it does not sit well with me at all.

What should I do?
Try the ripper out for a decent number of hours the first week or two. Post an honest review. Reverse the credit card payment if it turns out to be junk and offer to send it back at the company’s expense. Keep and use as needed if it’s good stuff. Something like that could work.

leveraddict

Equipment
2017 BX23S 60" LP BoxBlade 54" mower 60" BackBlade EA 12" 1 bottom plow & Forks
Apr 1, 2019
NEPA
I have dug out numerous stumps with my BX23S backhoe and 12" bucket. Honestly I see no need what so ever for that root ripper they sell. The trenching bucket is too narrow and clogs. The 12" bucket does a far better job! Having said that much aftermarket stuff is just BLING people buy fueled by forum posts or so they can do a video for utube. See it here all the time, buy stuff post on forums pics of clean polished tractors sitting in garages. Buy more bling, sits in garage, never used! Its not a Harley its a tractor! If this post resembles anyone here please take no offense! ;) Rant over!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan

What should I do?
There is no need to refuse the shipment. Why not try it out and judge for yourself?

I have had excellent results with mine and I have used it quite a bit.

If you paid via CC, you basically have a "90 day warranty".

I respectfully disagree with Leveraddict's opinion on it's usefulness. I can only speak to my personal results, but so far, I'm very happy with it, and how it performs

My ripper tooth is far superior to my bucket in terms of digging out stumps, although it's impossible to actually "quantify" my opinion, try it and judge for yourself.

Keep one thing in mind though, if you have the "quick attach" you will loose that pin that holds it in, so keep a bolt with a lock nut handy. (I'm sure Fried will be along shortly to "rub it in"). LOL 🍻

Heres a shot of the General Lee (after I polished it in my garage).....;)

20220910_134859.jpeg

theironmonger

Equipment
b2601
May 2, 2023
vermont

What should I do?
Don't use it. I was at the Kubota dealer last week buying another set of wear shims (sleeves) and pin from the crappy mild steel pin screwing up my backhoe.
I had left it in since I could not find my old pin.
Another big mistake!
I figured I would just gingerly use it..
I brought in the pin that came with the ripper and they took one look at it and laughed.
Lesson learned.
New hardened steel pin around 40 dollars.

I figured out that if a huge company like Kubota is not making a ripper,quick connect for the machine there must be a reason.

Yes, maybe it will work for a few hours and maybe a few days. But when it starts getting sloppy it ruins your backhoe.
Like someone else said tons of videos of people just buying this stuff and not actually using it.
Really expensive mistake at this point.
Good luck.

will721

Equipment
LX2610, Ford 2n, Ferguson TO20
Jun 6, 2023
Quad Cities Area
Sad news indeed. Too bad, I love.my tooth bar from them and planned on buying pretty much the rest of their catalog. But I'm not willing to risk my machine with parts not properly engineered.

Trimley

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX23SLSB-R-1 plus additions
Jul 25, 2023
PNW-WA
After reading the thread several hours ago, I had a gut feeling. That being I should refuse receipt of the package. After response of you all, that knot in my gut has dissipated, lol.

I'm going to refuse the order.

Thanks.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
There is no need to refuse the shipment. Why not try it out and judge for yourself?

I have had excellent results with mine and I have used it quite a bit.

If you paid via CC, you basically have a "90 day warranty".

I respectfully disagree with Leveraddict's opinion on it's usefulness. I can only speak to my personal results, but so far, I'm very happy with it, and how it performs

My ripper tooth is far superior to my bucket in terms of digging out stumps, although it's impossible to actually "quantify" my opinion, try it and judge for yourself.

Keep one thing in mind though, if you have the "quick attach" you will loose that pin that holds it in, so keep a bolt with a lock nut handy. (I'm sure Fried will be along shortly to "rub it in"). LOL 🍻

Heres a shot of the General Lee (after I polished it in my garage).....;)

View attachment 110046
Yup.......Fried1765 is here!

That pin WILL fall out, if not secured with a double nut bolt.
I say that though, not having ever owned anything made by BExpanded.

I have a much larger (28" long) root ripper on my L48 TLB (by Ox Thumbs) .

My ripper tooth is a 1" x 28" piece of (hook?) shaped AR400 steel.
Weighs 112#
It is a magnificent looking brute! I love it!

I have the Kubota mini-ex quick connect coupler (K7770) system on my BH
There are no attachment pivot pins used with this mounting system.
There is a locking pin, but that is for attachment position locking only.....no pivot.

(you can check the tooth out on oxthumbs.com)
Much less earth messed up around stump!

My replacement bucket/ripper lock pin is $100 ......plus, the waiting for it to arrive, in the middle of a project!

Last edited: