Remove Throttle Lever

sgec

Equipment
L1802DT
Aug 13, 2023
Oregon
I'm trying to remove the throttle lever (1) on an L1802DT. Looking at the parts diagram it seems I should just be able to undo the bolt (4) at the end of the spindle but after removing the bolt (4) the lever (1) won't budge or come off the spindle. Any suggestions?
parts.png

stealth71

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B26 TLB
Jul 28, 2023
FL
I’m not familiar with that machine or the language of the diagram. I don’t understand what the part in the box signifies. If you look at the lower diagram though it shows two washers under the bolt (28, 6). Then on the shaft there looks to be a key(2). If that is what you have the key could be add some difficulty if there is any rust or junk. Have you tried penetrating oil?

Reactions: 1 users

cthomas

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610 HSDC
Jan 1, 2017
La Farge Wi
Kroil penetrating oil, wait a few days while spraying, and maybe use a puller(like a wiper arm puller). Have the pulley screw on a longer bolt holding that shaft on.

Reactions: 1 user

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
I'm assuming that the key ( #2) is what's holding it on.
Tapping with a 'pickle fork' or even a SMALL hammer, at the base of the lever(close to where #10 is shown, should allow the lever to slide off.

sgec

Equipment
L1802DT
Aug 13, 2023
Oregon
I’m not familiar with that machine or the language of the diagram. I don’t understand what the part in the box signifies. If you look at the lower diagram though it shows two washers under the bolt (28, 6). Then on the shaft there looks to be a key(2). If that is what you have the key could be add some difficulty if there is any rust or junk. Have you tried penetrating oil?
So here's a photo of the parts in the box on the diagram (1)(3)(4)(6). It seems to me that once the bolt is removed the lever should come off. It's probably never been off for like 40 years so it's likely rusted on there. I've tried penetrating oil, heat, tapping with a hammer to no avail. I don't understand what (2) is. I've heard it called a key or a keeper pin. When I examine the area I can see (9) which someone called a dowel pin but I see no sign of key (2) or how to go about removing it.
IMG_3941.JPG

sgec

Equipment
L1802DT
Aug 13, 2023
Oregon
I'm assuming that the key ( #2) is what's holding it on.
Tapping with a 'pickle fork' or even a SMALL hammer, at the base of the lever(close to where #10 is shown, should allow the lever to slide off.
Thanks. How does the key(2) work? Like can I manipulate it somehow to remove the spindle? It's a little hard to get at. I can see (9) but not (2).

sgec

Equipment
L1802DT
Aug 13, 2023
Oregon
Kroil penetrating oil, wait a few days while spraying, and maybe use a puller(like a wiper arm puller). Have the pulley screw on a longer bolt holding that shaft on.
Thanks. I've been dousing it with penetrating oil just today. I like the idea of a puller. I'm wondering if something like this would be strong enough.
1691978700963.png

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
It looks to me as if pin (9) goes thru shaft in the hole near (5) indicated. The Key is likely within the throttle shaft and will require heat and a puller.

NorthwoodsLife

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B7100(sold), Kubota LX2610 Cab
Oct 15, 2021
Wisconsin
According to the schematic, the key is inside the throttle round bar at it's bottom where it goes around the shaft. It keyways into the shaft.
These types of arraignments will typically rust up and the key gets stuck.
As others said, penetrating oil like PB Blaster, and let it sit.
You don't turn it to get it off, it slides straight off.

sgec

Equipment
L1802DT
Aug 13, 2023
Oregon
It looks to me as if pin (9) goes thru shaft in the hole near (5) indicated. The Key is likely within the throttle shaft and will require heat and a puller.
Thank you! The pin (9) going through the hole (5) explains a lot. That puts the key (2) by the lever. I noticed there is a notch in the lever where it attaches to the spindle. Does that have anything to do with the key?

Attachments

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Thank you! The pin (9) going through the hole (5) explains a lot. That puts the key (2) by the lever. I noticed there is a notch in the lever where it attaches to the spindle. Does that have anything to do with the key?
Yes.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
The picture in post #10 shows the key way in the end of the end of part #1. You can probably see the end of the key that is a radiused end.

The key can not be removed until part #1 is pulled off the end of the shaft.

The key transfers the movement of part #1 into the shaft #5 and rotate the shaft.

I recommend that you use a lot of penetrating rust dissolver like Kroil or PB Blaster. Try to spray it onto the top of the key if you can.

The puller you show might work but one that has a tapered end instead of the blunt end will work better since it will center itself in the threaded hole. The diameter of the plunger must be smaller than the inner diameter of part #1.

The puller you show is fairly light duty so you should try to go to an auto parts store and see if they loan or rent tools. They might have a better puller. You should try to measure the diameter of the end of the shaft so you have the information you need to select the right puller.

Also remember that if it moves off a little bit then you may need to stop and spray it down with penetrating oil and tap it back into place and then start pulling again. Try not to use too much force if it feels like it is hanging up when you are pulling it.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Thanks. I've been dousing it with penetrating oil just today. I like the idea of a puller. I'm wondering if something like this would be strong enough.
View attachment 109202
"penetrating oil".... is JUST penetrating oil.
KROIL is a very special breed of cat!
I have used KROIL many times with great success, when "penetrating oil" did nothing.