Bucket camera fail

Watchmaker

Equipment
B2601 HST, LP RCR 1548, LA 435
Aug 20, 2015
New Hampshire
I was interested in the use of the bucket cam as proposed by another member; so I poached it. Got a $40 wifi dash camera from Amazon. Wired it to the fusebox (15A cigarette lighter) and grounded it to the block. Have to take apart, solder wires to the board of the lighter adapter since the camera wants 5 VDC. Decided to also glue to camera to a magnet to enable use on other attachments.

Tried it out for a couple hours, cell phone mounted on console of my B2601.

This system might work well in low light, but not in an unshielded cab in full sun. Glare.

Wound up in the usual standing position to see over the pallet forks (moving rocks). Finally gave up after the wire broke on the connector even with plenty of slack in the wire.

The other negative is that each time you turn off the tractor ignition, you have to change to the WIFI network of the camera and reconnect the app.

Only $40, but it was worth a shot.

Regards,

Dewey

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
Can you post the exact model number, brand, link to item to give others a heads up on what to avoid?

I bought a Rohent 7" display wireless camera setup that works well in my cab in daylight. My only complaint is it was sold as a 4 camera capable system. When I messaged the vendor I found out that I can't buy additional cameras because all their systems use a proprietary connection for each model and none are compatible. WTF

CAPT Seabee

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L5460
Dec 28, 2022
Bonners Ferry ID
I posted a solution for two cameras (solar powered and wireless) with the monitor plugged into the cigarette lighter socket. I've repositioned the front one so the back up lines align with the plates that snag the implement. The rear position of mine on the Amish Triangle is a bit awkward as it doesn't show the bottom hooks of the quick hitch. I'm figuring out a different location, but things are awkward most everywhere else.

Watchmaker

Equipment
Aug 20, 2015
New Hampshire
Other than the connector, the problem was not the camera. It was viewing the image on my cell phone (pixel 7) in full sunlight on my open cockpit B2601. Wifi to phone was excellent although had to reconnect wifi every time tractor was turned off. Picture was excellent but unviewable in full sun (in my open cab; no fault of camera or phone).

For those with a cab, I DO suggest mounting the cam to a magnet. It stayed on the pallet fork and bucket with no problem. It would also break away rather than break if it gets hit.

As I said, disassemble the lighter adapter, and get rid of the positive connector and the negative spings. Solder red and black wires to the 12vdc board inputs. Reassemble, attach the wires to the fuse for the lighter (in front of engine compartment), ground to the block. I attached the power supply to the side panel strut. Made a neat install, but the concept just did not work for me.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
You might have better luck with a 'wired' car backup camera system ( camera + screen ). Some are at the $50 price. Since you need to run 12V to the camera anyway,might as well run the video feed too.

Watchmaker

Equipment
Aug 20, 2015
New Hampshire
You might have better luck with a 'wired' car backup camera system ( camera + screen ). Some are at the $50 price. Since you need to run 12V to the camera anyway,might as well run the video feed too.
Thanks, but not sure how that would help. The issue is screen glare in the open cockpit of the 2601. I think the wireless is a good choice for those with cabs.

At any rate, this concept does not work in my application and I will just stand when I need to see over the implement.