B7100 - baseline maintenance

AOW162435

Equipment
B7100
Jun 16, 2023
Ellicott City, MD
I purchased my new-to-me 1979 B7100 from the second owner in early July. After a few months of searching, I found this one in Indiana - an 11 hour drive one way. Based on the pics and my gut feeling, I took the chance and made the trip.
The tractor was fairly dirty, still wearing mud & grass from whatever work it last did.
Overall it seemed pretty original & unmolested, so I figured it would be relatively easy to 'refresh'.
As purchased, it came with three original Goodyear tires from 1979, 75-lb rear Kubota wheel weights, the complete original tool set, and a 2-way Kubota dozer blade setup.
Once home, I gave the tractor a bath, removed the wheel weights and the entire dozer setup, and then spent a few weeks going through it doing any and all maintenance I saw fit to do. I also purchased three original 55-lb Kubota suitcase weights, a Caroni 59" rear mower, and four new Carlisle R1 tires.
Because of time constraints, I wasn't able to address any of the cosmetic issues - that's for another day. I wrapped up the work last week and then trailered it to our property in WV. Within a few minutes of unloading it, I put it to work clearing an overgrown meadow. Needless to say, I ran it without a hitch for 5 hours straight. It's a keeper. :)

List of work completed:
-replaced air filter
-replaced fuel filter, bowl & o-rings
-bled fuel system
-oil & filter change
-removed radiator & thoroughly flushed
-replaced radiator hoses, clamps, cap and coolant
-replaced fan belt
-removed & cleaned headlights
-removed hydraulic plow, subframe & supply lines.
-removed rear wheel weights
-drain & refill transmission and hydraulics (UDT)
-drain & refill front axle
-grease all fittings
-adjust front axle pivot
-replace both rear hubs
-replace all four tires
-add ballast to rear tires (20 gallons RV antifreeze)

IMG_2325.jpeg

RenderedImage.jpeg

RenderedImage.jpeg

RenderedImage.jpeg

IMG_2928.jpeg

IMG_2941.jpeg

IMG_2949.jpeg

IMG_2954.jpeg

IMG_2980.jpeg

Andreas

Attachments

Reactions: 6 users

endoscott

Equipment
B21
Sep 12, 2018
Redmond, WA
Very nice rig! Will likely last another 45 years. We have a 1978, thrashed it so hard and it never breaks down. I might have a failing pilot bearing though. Will see. Might paint it if I have to take it all apart.

Reactions: 1 user

AOW162435

Equipment
B7100
Jun 16, 2023
Ellicott City, MD
Very nice rig! Will likely last another 45 years. We have a 1978, thrashed it so hard and it never breaks down. I might have a failing pilot bearing though. Will see. Might paint it if I have to take it all apart.
Thank you. 👍🏻

Have you ever greased the clutch release bearing 'slide' through the side of the center tunnel?

Andreas

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I purchased my new-to-me 1979 B7100 from the second owner in early July. After a few months of searching, I found this one in Indiana - an 11 hour drive one way. Based on the pics and my gut feeling, I took the chance and made the trip.
The tractor was fairly dirty, still wearing mud & grass from whatever work it last did.
Overall it seemed pretty original & unmolested, so I figured it would be relatively easy to 'refresh'.
As purchased, it came with three original Goodyear tires from 1979, 75-lb rear Kubota wheel weights, the complete original tool set, and a 2-way Kubota dozer blade setup.
Once home, I gave the tractor a bath, removed the wheel weights and the entire dozer setup, and then spent a few weeks going through it doing any and all maintenance I saw fit to do. I also purchased three original 55-lb Kubota suitcase weights, a Caroni 59" rear mower, and four new Carlisle R1 tires.
Because of time constraints, I wasn't able to address any of the cosmetic issues - that's for another day. I wrapped up the work last week and then trailered it to our property in WV. Within a few minutes of unloading it, I put it to work clearing an overgrown meadow. Needless to say, I ran it without a hitch for 5 hours straight. It's a keeper. :)

List of work completed:
-replaced air filter
-replaced fuel filter, bowl & o-rings
-bled fuel system
-oil & filter change
-removed radiator & thoroughly flushed
-replaced radiator hoses, clamps, cap and coolant
-replaced fan belt
-removed & cleaned headlights
-removed hydraulic plow, subframe & supply lines.
-removed rear wheel weights
-drain & refill transmission and hydraulics (UDT)
-drain & refill front axle
-grease all fittings
-adjust front axle pivot
-replace both rear hubs
-replace all four tires
-add ballast to rear tires (20 gallons RV antifreeze)

View attachment 107967
View attachment 107968
View attachment 107969
View attachment 107971
View attachment 107972
View attachment 107974
View attachment 107975
View attachment 107976
View attachment 107977

Andreas
A very sweet looking little machine!