Need tiller advice

tillerman

Equipment
b7200HST
Nov 22, 2012
grand rapids, michigan
I have a b7200 and want a tiller for it. It's a 4WD diesel with 14hp at the pto.
I'm thinking a 48". That won't cover the rear tires (31 x 13.5 - 15) which measure 52" across but if it was offset by a few inches it would cover one tire. Does anyone out there in Orange Country have advice as to size and brand? I till 130 + or - gardens per season so, as you can imagine, I do need a well built tiller. Right now I'm using a cub cadet 2185 with a hydraulic tiller, but I wanted something a bit larger. Any help is appreciated Thanks.

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
I have a B7100, 13 pto hp, and I use a 48" king kutter forward rotation tiller. It is very heavy, gear drive, and my tractor pulls it fine. I till 4 or 5 gardens a season, nothing like what you are looking at. But, my garden is deep and loamy, and so is my dad's; I also till some gardens that are harder, and full of rocks. I have them pick up as many as possible, but I still hit them. My tractor has handled every garden so far, including breaking new ground. So, I think your tractor can also handle a 48". You won't be able to go bigger, though.
The only issue that I ran into was the weight of the king kutter. I am glad it is very heavy (over 500 lbs), because it doesn't bounce. But, I did have to get suitcase weights and load the front tires, to ballast the tiller. Otherwise, it has been a positive experience.
Again, I would recommend the 48"- you need to cover your tires as much as possible, and with that many gardens to till, you need to make as much time as possible. And, without dissing any other tiller, I would give the king kutter two thumbs up.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I agree with Hodge. King Kutter is a bad tiller. I bought a Bushhog brand and it's performed great but after seeing a KK in action and how well they are built I wish that I had went with them. If I ever need to replace mine it will be a KK brand for sure.

gpreuss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200DT w/FEL, K650 Backhoe, 5' Rotary, 40" Howard Rotavator, 6' Rhino blade
Oct 9, 2011
Spokane, WA
I've used a 40" Howard Rotavator behind my L185 for 30 years; now I use it with my L3200. The 185 had no problems driving the rotavator in both the rotavator and PTO high gears - the rotavator had gears for 4 speeds, and the PTO had 3. One pass would turn field into flour. It only had 13-1/2 hp. I'm sure you can run a 44" or 48" tiller, no problem at 540rpm. I like the looks of the Woods, not intending to discount the quality of the others. You are doing a lot of gardens.

Kingcreek

Equipment
Grand L3010 GST 4wd, LA481FEL, various attachments and accessories
Aug 3, 2011
NW Illinois
The King Kutter gear drive tillers are very well made and a good value. A 48" is probably as big as you want to go. I use a KK 60" with 26 HP at the PTO and that's pushing it in some ground but it works. Breaking new ground I don't run full depth first pass.
I really like the land pride tillers but it was $1000 more.

Tractor Seabee

Equipment
BX25, brush hog, RT, Rake, BB, QH, Disc, Log Splitter,12K Trailer, Dodge 3500 PU
Just got on the forum today. I have a BX25 I use a 48" Land Pride on. At 17HP PTO it drives it well. My ground is loamy but rocky (cobbles up to 6") and I have a lot of Hawthorn roots. Spend a lot of time with a steel bar digging out rocks and unwinding roots. I carry the bar behind the seat. Comes in handy for lots of stuff. Below the loam cover it is all sandy/rocky. It takes many passes to break through that crust, but it does it. Looking at implement catalogs 48" is your absolute limit w/the HP of your PTO. With the usage factor you have I would stock some spare parts unless you can stand downtime. Very few parts are stocked by local dealers and shipping adds 1-2 weeks and the cost. I have a friction clutch on my shaft and it is a real PIA to keep freely rotating in this wet climate. Next year I am changing to a shear pin. If you have to take all mechanic work to a shop; go with the shear pin as it will be in the shop a lot with the clutch or you will be stalling the engine a lot. I do all my own work as one dealer always has a backlog of a month and the other is 45 miles away.

Ron

vpstraightshooter

Equipment
L3000-ZD221
Dec 23, 2012
Argyle,WI
I just purchased a L3000 and was thinking about buying the Woods 52" for a couple reasons 1/ Made in America 2/ the width is perfect for my 51" width tractor 3/I can order it in Kubota Orange. I was quoted a price of 1950.00 for a new reverse action woods. Is this a fair price? I know i can get a 48" KK for 1400.00 Any advice would be appreciated.

G-Man

Equipment
B7500, ZD221
Jul 27, 2012
Excelsior, AR
I have a B7500 and have a Tractor Supply Country Line which is really a King Kutter with only a different label. It is 48" and has 6 tines per rotor and 6 rotors. The owners manual is a King Kutter manual. I did verify with King Kutter and they confirmed it was theirs.

This tiller is a beast and was the best one for the money. This tiller makes also a great counter weight when working with heavy loads on the FEL. This tiller weight 600 lbs.

The TSC was about $1400 but with MIL discount of 10% that helped and since we live in rural area and do light farming this purchase was Ag tax exempt. Such a deal.

Last edited:

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I just purchased a L3000 and was thinking about buying the Woods 52" for a couple reasons 1/ Made in America 2/ the width is perfect for my 51" width tractor 3/I can order it in Kubota Orange. I was quoted a price of 1950.00 for a new reverse action woods. Is this a fair price? I know i can get a 48" KK for 1400.00 Any advice would be appreciated.
I use a 62" Bushhog tiller behind my L3000. I have never had a woods so I can't say anything good or bad about them. I will say unless you have a specific reason for the 52" you are wasting lots of available HP. Mine doesn't even know the 62" is behind it. If I had it to do over I would buy a KK brand instead of a Bushhog though.

By the way, welcome to OTT.

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
I use a 62" Bushhog tiller behind my L3000. I have never had a woods so I can't say anything good or bad about them. I will say unless you have a specific reason for the 52" you are wasting lots of available HP. Mine doesn't even know the 62" is behind it. If I had it to do over I would buy a KK brand instead of a Bushhog though.

By the way, welcome to OTT.
I have looked at the Woods tillers in the past, and they are well made. I wouldn't be scared of one. That being said, I wouldn't sell my KK and buy one- the King Kutter is a well built tiller for the money.

vpstraightshooter

Equipment
L3000-ZD221
Dec 23, 2012
Argyle,WI
Thanks BullDog -your info helps ease my mind about what my L3000 could handle as far as tiller width..since my last post I have discovered that King Kutter makes a 54' model(TG-54-XBX-OK) Is anyone familiar with this one? Now for me its a matter of buying the 54"XBX or go with the 60" Professional King Kutter

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I would look hard at the 60". That way it will cut your tracks out. As long as it cuts your tracks out you can till in either direction instead of always having to go one way. It will be easier on you and alot more productive.

vpstraightshooter

Equipment
L3000-ZD221
Dec 23, 2012
Argyle,WI
Does anyone know if the King Kutter Professional Model is worth spending the extra money on?Or do you think the standard model is just as good? Any advice is appreciated.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I don't think you would go wrong with either one. My advise would be to get the one that best suits your needs and makes you happy. As long as you take care of it you will never have to buy another one so get the right one the first time.