Hydraulic hose Fittings

MHT242

Equipment
B3030 & B2920
Apr 2, 2023
maine
Hi All,

We have a bunch of equipment that uses 1/4” hydraulic hose. we would like to be able to make replacement hoses on-site. Leaving the farm to get a new hose takes too much time..Which crimp on ends do you prefer? Any tips on what to buy for a starter kit of fittings? How about a crimp tool.? We have always used Parker hose & fittings but the prices are insane. Our logger buys all his hydraulic hose stuff on Amazon and claims it works just as well?

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Hi All,

We have a bunch of equipment that uses 1/4” hydraulic hose. we would like to be able to make replacement hoses on-site. Leaving the farm to get a new hose takes too much time..Which crimp on ends do you prefer? Any tips on what to buy for a starter kit of fittings? How about a crimp tool.? We have always used Parker hose & fittings but the prices are insane. Our logger buys all his hydraulic hose stuff on Amazon and claims it works just as well?
Do you know what a crimper costs? I have a Gates Mobil Crimp 4-20 with air over hydraulic pump and dies to crimp -6 thru =10 hose. It retails for about $3500. I lucked out and got it used off eBay for $1200.

Gates MegaCrimp fittings are insanely expensive and I gave up on them a long time ago. I do like their MegaSys hose and I can get -6 and -8 off eBay for about $4.00/ft. I buy inexpensive generic type U (Weatherhead) braided hose fittings - usually from Discount Hydraulic Hose but they are readily available from many sources. Gates does not provide crimp data for anything other than Gates fittings. I had to spend an hour or so working out the correct die and ram settings for the type U fittings. No big deal. All that said being able to make custom hose assemblies in a matter of minutes is incredibly convenient.

Dan

Reactions: 1 users

Fedup

Apr 6, 2016
Winchester
Parker prices these days do indeed take you for a ride. Parker is a high quality product, no question, but way out of line price wise for DIY crimp at home stuff.

Seriously, you need to make a LOT of hoses to justify having the machinery and supplies at home to do it. Import hose and fittings can be found at reasonable prices, even in today's Covid inflated economy. They can't match Parker or Weatherhead quality, granted, but certainly stout enough for "farm use". An older Gates or Weatherhead machine can be found if you take time and search for what you want.

Fitting variety will be a challenge. No one out here can do much for you in that department. You need to take stock of what size, type, style, etc of hose ends are scattered around your operation and put together your own list of what you have and how many there are. Then MAYBE you could put together some sort of "wish list" of what you think you might like to have on hand for openers. Transfer that to a shopping cart from an online supplier, look at the total, then think again if this is really something you think you need.

Reactions: 1 user

Daferris

Equipment
LX2610
Nov 23, 2021
Mid-Michigan
For the limited number of hoses I need to make I use the field assembly style. Yes the fittings are spendy but they are reusable. And much cheaper than getting a crimper. But them I probably only average 1-2 hoses a year...

MHT242

Equipment
B3030 & B2920
Apr 2, 2023
maine
My logger gave me the idea. He got his hydraulic crimp tool off Amazon for about $150.00 and buys his fittinags there too. He maintains a whole fleet of skidders, feller butchers etc.. As an electrician I may be able to buy a set of dies for some of my large 500MCM crimp Tools too?

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Hi All,

If you are mainly doing just one size hose its pretty easy to stock end fittings. Straight and 90 female JIC swivels and rigid male pipe will cover 90% of your needs. My usage is primarily -6 and -8 and one drawer easily covers that.

Dan

20220903_093234.jpg

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
My logger gave me the idea. He got his hydraulic crimp tool off Amazon for about $150.00 and buys his fittinags there too. He maintains a whole fleet of skidders, feller butchers etc.. As an electrician I may be able to buy a set of dies for some of my large 500MCM crimp Tools too?
Not even close to a proper hydraulic hose crimp. Farmerized comes to mind.

Dan

NorthwoodsLife

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B7100(sold), Kubota LX2610 Cab
Oct 15, 2021
Wisconsin
I worked for a sub-contractor for Parker nearly 30 years ago for a very short while. I don't know if the QC is the same today, but nonetheless, it was excellent back in the 1990's. It was beyond comprehension because they build hydraulics for aircraft.

I humbly suggest that in your equipment's down time, you replace the lines as a group with Parker lines. Double order the quick wear lines and you'll have a backup set. It will be expensive, but worth it.

Minimun 20 years lifetime for hydraulic lines should be the standard.

No, I no longer work with Parker. But wish that I did.

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
Hi All,

Depending on your equipment, you might be able to keep a few hoses with NPT ends like Tractor Supply and others sell. Then keep enough adapter fittings to fit your specific ends. Use that for a temporary fix, then order the specific hose you need.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Tres Cher and nothing in stock. They seem to have abandoned most of their old line.

Dan

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
My local tractor dealer will make hoses at a reasonable price. I call ahead and the hose will be ready for pickup when I get there 15 minutes later. Open 6 says a week.

There are some businesses with a service truck that will drive to your site to make custom hoses. Probably cheaper than buying the equipment, connectors and hose inventory.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
My local tractor dealer will make hoses at a reasonable price. I call ahead and the hose will be ready for pickup when I get there 15 minutes later. Open 6 says a week.

There are some businesses with a service truck that will drive to your site to make custom hoses. Probably cheaper than buying the equipment, connectors and hose inventory.
The crimper is the only big ticket item. Hose and fittings are just shop supplies like my fastener bins.

i am a tool guy and have many thousands invested in a 60+ year collection. I looked for a good deal on a crimper for years and finally got one at $1200 for a complete crimper with dies and pneumatic pump. I can easily sell that crimper for more than I paid for it. This one has a hand pump and is still 3x what I paid. They are very hot commodities on the used market. My estate sale will undoubtedly attract a large crowd. :cry:

And when word gets out you can make hoses you will have a lot of new friends in the neighborhood. Depending on your social skills that may be a good thing or a nuisance. o_O

Dan

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

Chanceywd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501DT BH77 VIRNIG URG60-CT 1950 8N
Mar 26, 2021
central ny
The crimper is the only big ticket item. Hose and fittings are just shop supplies like my fastener bins.

i am a tool guy and have many thousands invested in a 60+ year collection. I looked for a good deal on a crimper for years and finally got one at $1200 for a complete crimper with dies and pneumatic pump. I can easily sell that crimper for more than I paid for it. This one has a hand pump and is still 3x what I paid. They are very hot commodities on the used market. My estate sale will undoubtedly attract a large crowd. :cry:

And when word gets out you can make hoses you will have a lot of new friends in the neighborhood. Depending on your social skills that may be a good thing or a nuisance. o_O

Dan
I have that problem with my electrical skills! Just came from a neighbors after replacing a ceiling fan got asked to look at a lamp. He is 80 but spent life doing artsy things and running marathons.

Bill

34by151

Equipment
bx23s
Jan 12, 2019
Peachester, QLD, Australia
I use the field assembly style.
I do the same. Nearly all the fittings are 9/16 JIC so I have a bunch of ends (straight,90, compact 90) and 2 wire shells. Shells work with all ends.

All of the Kubota hoses on my BX are not great quality. Kubota skimp on the hose using a 1 wire hose
When they fail I replace them with a quality 2 wire hose and field fit ends.

Chanceywd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501DT BH77 VIRNIG URG60-CT 1950 8N
Mar 26, 2021
central ny
I won't dare show off mine right now!
Complete :poop: show!
My son and I have the disease and we call it FSS, Flat surface syndrome. It must be a genetic defect thing, My brothers don't have it, I was the only one with red hair so it may be related to that.

Bill