Just whinning

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I pulled maintenance on the mower yesterday.. A half hour job turned into an all dayer, ever have one of those days everything you touch or try to do turns in to that soft brown squishy stuff. Change out anti scalp wheels yup broke both shoulder bolts, found bolt that will work for now,, change blades I ll sharpen the old ones later, grease the spindles,, 2 pumps,,, empty,, check gear box low,, gear oil bottle empty. Run to wallyworld a tube of grease, and a bottle of gear oil, those 2 things over 20 bucks at wallyworld!!! And of course not a bloody thing went right after that,, Ahh well at least its on and I got a little mow in before it started to rain.

Reactions: 4 users

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, 64" snowblower, 72" back blade
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
Seem to have more and more of those days skeets the older I get but hey, we're still around to bitch about it and the whiskey tastes just as good as it ever did. ;)

Reactions: 8 users

UnEasyRider

Equipment
L3302 LA 526 loader, Box Scraper, Grappler, Forks, Rotary mower, Big Tool Rack.
Apr 14, 2023
Florida
I pulled maintenance on the mower yesterday.. A half hour job turned into an all dayer, ever have one of those days everything you touch or try to do turns in to that soft brown squishy stuff. Change out anti scalp wheels yup broke both shoulder bolts, found bolt that will work for now,, change blades I ll sharpen the old ones later, grease the spindles,, 2 pumps,,, empty,, check gear box low,, gear oil bottle empty. Run to wallyworld a tube of grease, and a bottle of gear oil, those 2 things over 20 bucks at wallyworld!!! And of course not a bloody thing went right after that,, Ahh well at least its on and I got a little mow in before it started to rain.
That's my usual day!

Reactions: 3 users

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I have had days and weeks like that ........... sorry brother, btdt!

I'm starting to get a little smarter as I get older........ why spend 10 bucks on an oil filter? WHY not spend 20 on two ???? Tis nice to have pieces on hand - so when time comes , everything is there ready.

I love the two pumps of the gun and then empty - seems that EVERY time I grease ........ I end up with something empty! Grease or patience!

Reactions: 4 users

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Hey! Look at the bright side.

Sounds like you still have all you fingers and toes!

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

Outnumbered

Equipment
Kubota L3901, FEL, BB1260, RCF2060, FDR2572, Titan Forks, Caryall, 5' Tiller
Oct 26, 2019
Moseley, VA
I have had days and weeks like that ........... sorry brother, btdt!

I'm starting to get a little smarter as I get older........ why spend 10 bucks on an oil filter? WHY not spend 20 on two ???? Tis nice to have pieces on hand - so when time comes , everything is there ready.

I love the two pumps of the gun and then empty - seems that EVERY time I grease ........ I end up with something empty! Grease or patience!
I agree and have been in the buy two camp for a while, now I am back to the buy one as soon as I use the last one. Oil, filters, belts, grease, blades etc. I changed the deck and drive belts on the riding mower last weekend and immediately ordered new belts for the next time.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Skeets - you’re in good company. Had ideas to fire up the old ‘Moline yesterday….it’s still put up from the winter.

Then stuff came out of the clothes dryer wetter then they went in.:(

Steam parts were leaking into the inside of the machine.😳

Fixed that, then realized the vent was wonky and had pulled out of the holder outside. Probably been that way for a few years…..🤬😡😖

Haven’t properly fixed that yet, but usable now.

Let’s just say The Moline is still sleeping…..🥺

Last edited:

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
Hey Skeets, some days are like that. Took me most of Thursday to drill a couple holes in my finish mower. Started out cleaning the welding table off and putting a bunch of tools back where they belong. It was a lot like that video someone posted here a while back:

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
just another day around here....... sigh...welcome to my World..... dbl sigh.

got up yesterday at 7 to finally build the 'winter project', a 5by8 utility trailer.
Have everything here and steel is on a rack, soapstoned 'do not use---trailer steel'
Clean off bench, move it to welding area,sweep floor, get the drawings off garage door....
grab a coffee and go to the steel
something's 'funny'.....
ONE piece of steel is MISSING !
After an hour on loking (hay, 2 car garage isn't THAT big..) finally remembered it had been 'borrowed' by neighbour to build a steel railing for front steps......
so 'winter project' is on hold.........

I did pickup a 1946 #5 + 5A boxed set of MECCANO yesterday though....

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
yup did mower maintenance on mine a few weeks ago. ZG127S. Nothing special.

Changed oil. Great. Except the new filter's threads were cut wrong. Kohler oe filter. Returned it and got another, week later it fits. All 4 anti-scalp wheels was worn out. I don't shop at the local kubota dealer (used to work there, the boss hates me and I'm fine with that). SO having bought a cheap lathe a while back, I bored the wheels' hole out and made 4 spacers to fit. Added grease fittings to the wheels and off it went. 2 hours later, done with that.

Went to sharpen blades. They weren't bad. Grinder wheel broke. That was on a Sunday, everything's closed. Wait til Monday, have to hurry up on lunch break to go get one. Home Depot is closest, they were out. Ok run to the local hardware store. Great yeah. They had 1. I like to get multiples so I have them when needed. I got the one and finished the blades. Go to reinstall blades after balancing, notice one blade bolt is way stretched. Better put 3 new ones in before I break one off in the spindle. Ordered those too. Took 3 weeks from messicks, and the shipping cost was IMO outlandish. But anyway, I got it done. Got blades back on and noticed center spindle has some play in it. Great, bearings. I have plenty of bearings on hand. Popped it apart and put new bearings in. No issue. Put the deck back under it and went for a test mow. Engine quits during test. Won't crank. Click from solenoid, so that means the brake switch is bad or disconnected. Went to raise the seat up, seat back breaks off of the frame. Had to rebuild that. Ordered a new brake switch, and tore the entire mower apart to get to it, plus gave me good opportunity to clean everything up good (it needed it). Put it all back together and have mowed twice so far, and no issues. Yet. I did notice one of the control arm dampers is loose (retaining nut), and I've added that to the list of stuff to get done.

yesterday I went to move the big trailer which is hooked to the tractor. I just started the tractor last Sunday and used it to move some stuff, so it's fine. Wouldn't start yesterday. Click-click-click. I JUST put a new starter on it. Great now what? Pile of crap! Jumped the starter, got it running. Moved trailer forward 70 feet, let it sit and idle while I was mowing the area. Got through mowing, tractor is not running. Ran out of fuel. I guess the fuel gauge has quit working. Ok cool I'll run into town and get a can of diesel. Truck's out of fuel. Had to fill the truck (33 gal) plus the 5 gal can. Get home, guy down teh road hauls his mower over here for me to work on. Ok fine I'll deal with it when I can. 20 min later I backed the trailer back into it's hole. Didn't even get off the tractor, neighbor guy hauls another mower over to be worked on. He leaves (finally), lady across the way shows up with a 4 wheeler that's dead in the water, also a project to work on. And my old boss' mother-in-law, I have her push mower out in the shop to be finsished up too. It never ends!

It's like this all day every day 5 days or sometimes 6 or 7, a week. Sometimes I feel like it's 8 days a week but I am done with it for today. Took off work today to do NOTHING. And I am doing nothing. It is, a DAY OFF. Work on people's stuff at work, work on people's stuff when I get home, then my own stuff, I don't seem to get time to relax. I like to stay busy but not "that" busy!

Biker1mike

Equipment
B6200, Kubota 2030 Front Blade, King Cutter 60" finishing deck
Jan 11, 2022
Gallatin, NY USA
Damn, I got tired just reading all that, YOU do deserve a break.

Reactions: 1 user