L175 Alternator replacement: 4 wire to 3 wire

CW B

Equipment
Kubota L175
Apr 17, 2023
PNW
Question for you all,
I inherited a Kubota L175 without an alternator attached. I also inherited a new alternator which cannot be returned. The problem is, as has been mentioned other places on this forum, the new alternator requires a 3 prong plug and my wiring harness has a 4 prong plug. I have read a lot here on the forums about this issue, but I'm really trying to land the plan on this wiring issue and being new to tractors and have not worked on cars for many years I'm wondering if there is concise description on how I wire this:
New alternator 3 prong labeled E, F, N with another bolt on the back labeled B. See picture
IMG_4343_small.jpg

Old wiring harness with a 4 prong plug, only 3 of which are used: White with a green stripe, white with a black stripe, a black wire that appears to loop in and then out of one of the prongs. See pictures

IMG_4319_small.jpg

IMG_4519_small.jpg

So I would assume the big red cable goes to the B on the new alternator
But how about the other 3 wires?
White with green = E, F or N?
White with black = E, F or N?
Looped black wire = E, F or N?

FYI, I do not know if I have a regulator on the tractor. I don't see one, but don't know where to look--if it's under the dash I can't really see it.

Other random thoughts: I don't know if this tractor even works (is free of serious engine/transmission issues) as it has not been ran in about 5 years so I would be happy to wire something temporary and do a real 'fix' later after I determine it starts, has compression, move forward under it's own power, etc.

Thanks so much.
CW

Attachments

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
the regulator is up underneath the dash. It is attached to the curved skirt section and is fairly easy to get to IF the steering wheel is easily removed (not stuck).

you do NOT need the alternator working at all to start and use the tractor. You would just need to have a way to charge the battery so it will crack the engine over.

White with green is F
White with black is N
Black is E
Heavy gauge Red is B

After you get the tractor running and operating then you can worry about a alternator repair or replacement.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
Question for you all,
I inherited a Kubota L175 without an alternator attached. I also inherited a new alternator which cannot be returned. The problem is, as has been mentioned other places on this forum, the new alternator requires a 3 prong plug and my wiring harness has a 4 prong plug. I have read a lot here on the forums about this issue, but I'm really trying to land the plan on this wiring issue and being new to tractors and have not worked on cars for many years I'm wondering if there is concise description on how I wire this:
New alternator 3 prong labeled E, F, N with another bolt on the back labeled B. See picture
View attachment 100561

Old wiring harness with a 4 prong plug, only 3 of which are used: White with a green stripe, white with a black stripe, a black wire that appears to loop in and then out of one of the prongs. See pictures

View attachment 100559

View attachment 100560

So I would assume the big red cable goes to the B on the new alternator
But how about the other 3 wires?
White with green = E, F or N?
White with black = E, F or N?
Looped black wire = E, F or N?

FYI, I do not know if I have a regulator on the tractor. I don't see one, but don't know where to look--if it's under the dash I can't really see it.

Other random thoughts: I don't know if this tractor even works (is free of serious engine/transmission issues) as it has not been ran in about 5 years so I would be happy to wire something temporary and do a real 'fix' later after I determine it starts, has compression, move forward under it's own power, etc.

Thanks so much.
CW
The alt has an internal regulator and it has a 3rd small wire for tractor models where the alternators internal regulator sends pulses to the dash tach.
I think you could just leave it unconnected.

forum 3 wire alt.jpg

Dave

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Don’t get your cart before the horse… Get the tractor running before you mess with alternator issues.

CW B

Equipment
Kubota L175
Apr 17, 2023
PNW
Don’t get your cart before the horse… Get the tractor running before you mess with alternator issues.
Thank you Russell, David and GeoHorn, I really appreciate the info, this was incredibly helpful!