Loader and log splitter have no power when splitter is attached

forrest carver

Equipment
L275
Sep 3, 2022
edgecomb, me
Hello, I don't know even the basics about hydraulics and have little common sense/logic, so assume I know nothing.

I have an L275 and today I installed tees on the hydraulic junction box and added a pair of inline female quick-disconnects in order to run a log splitter. The connection job went fine and there were no leaks, but when the log splitter is attached the loader operates VERY slowly, if at all. The log splitter ram moves back and forth slowly (it might be normal speed; I heard it was slow but powerful) but has no power and will not split even a tiny log. When the splitter is detached, the loader begins working normally again.

Can I only run the loader OR the splitter? Not the end of the world if so; I can remove the tees and do just the solo female QDs and attach male QDs to the loader hoses for easy swapping back and forth.

Note that I'm not certain how much hydraulic fluid is in the tractor. Last fall a hose ruptured and it lost a lot of fluid, but I replaced what I estimate to be the amount lost at the very least (that is, if anything it is overfull). A little fluid was lost during the connection job today but very little compared to the previous incident, so I'm guessing fluid levels are not the problem.

Separate question, is it possible to connect/disconnect the QDs when the tractor is running? It didn't seem so, but I didn't try very hard and didn't want to mess anything up in the attempt.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Hello, I don't know even the basics about hydraulics and have little common sense/logic, so assume I know nothing.

I have an L275 and today I installed tees on the hydraulic junction box and added a pair of inline female quick-disconnects in order to run a log splitter. The connection job went fine and there were no leaks, but when the log splitter is attached the loader operates VERY slowly, if at all. The log splitter ram moves back and forth slowly (it might be normal speed; I heard it was slow but powerful) but has no power and will not split even a tiny log. When the splitter is detached, the loader begins working normally again.

Can I only run the loader OR the splitter? Not the end of the world if so; I can remove the tees and do just the solo female QDs and attach male QDs to the loader hoses for easy swapping back and forth.

Note that I'm not certain how much hydraulic fluid is in the tractor. Last fall a hose ruptured and it lost a lot of fluid, but I replaced what I estimate to be the amount lost at the very least (that is, if anything it is overfull). A little fluid was lost during the connection job today but very little compared to the previous incident, so I'm guessing fluid levels are not the problem.

Separate question, is it possible to connect/disconnect the QDs when the tractor is running? It didn't seem so, but I didn't try very hard and didn't want to mess anything up in the attempt.
You do not use tees!!!! Remove all your changes and start over:

Disconnect power beyond hose from loader valve and install a male quick connect on it. Install a female quick connect on the power beyond port of thr loader valve

Now connect power beyond port on the loader valve to inlet on splitter valve.

Connect outlet on splitter valve to power beyond hose.

Thats it. Every thing will work as before with splitter in the circuit.

When splitter is removed reconnect power beyond hose to loader valve.

You must turn the tractor off to connect or disconnect those hoses.

Dan

Last edited:

forrest carver

Equipment
L275
Sep 3, 2022
edgecomb, me
Thanks Dan. Could you clarify "power beyond hose from loader valve" vs "power beyond port of loader valve"?

Before my changes, two hoses ran from the hydraulic box to the loader control box. Am I changing anything downstream of the loader control box? If so, will I use the two capped-off front-facing ports on the attached picture?

FYI the splitter currently has two male QDs

Attachments

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Thanks Dan. Could you clarify "power beyond hose from loader valve" vs "power beyond port of loader valve"?

Before my changes, two hoses ran from the hydraulic box to the loader control box. Am I changing anything downstream of the loader control box? If so, will I use the two capped-off front-facing ports on the attached picture?

FYI the splitter currently has two male QDs
You have two hose connections from the "hydraulic block" to two different ports on the loader valve. One supplies pressure from the tractor to the loader valve. The other returns pressure from the loader valve to the tractor. That second connection is the power beyond port and hose connection FROM the loader TO the tractor. That is the line that you want to use to supply the log splitter. That appears to be the hose in the forground of your picture. Put a male/female quick coupler on that connection. What you get is something like this:

1680176998789.jpeg

Now change the male quick connect on the log splitter return (tank) hose to a female quick connect. To connect the log splitter simply disconnect the male/female power beyond connection at the loader valve and connect it to the male/female log splitter hoses. The tractor MUST be off when doing that.

Dan

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

forrest carver

Equipment
L275
Sep 3, 2022
edgecomb, me
Thanks Dan, I just learned a lot from that post and I think it all makes sense now. I will give it a shot and let you know how it goes.

Reactions: 1 user

forrest carver

Equipment
L275
Sep 3, 2022
edgecomb, me
Hey Dan, your instructions were easy to follow and execute. Everything is working perfectly now and the splitter just ripped through some of the biggest, nastiest hemlock logs you've ever seen! Many thanks for the help, I really appreciate it!

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Hey Dan, your instructions were easy to follow and execute. Everything is working perfectly now and the splitter just ripped through some of the biggest, nastiest hemlock logs you've ever seen! Many thanks for the help, I really appreciate it!
Gŕeat. Now if you want to speed that puppy up consider one of these.

Dan