tire chains and ag tires

BIG C

Equipment
2003 L3830,HST, LA723 LOADER
Dec 4, 2011
INDIAN HILLS, COLORADO
Hello,
Im KUBOTA newbie here. Im also pretty much unschooled in tractors.
Im trying to figure out how well tire chains will work on the ag tires that came on my L3830.
any insight would be appreciated.
thanks

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
I assume that this is for snow and ice? Chains are more effective on turf tires, because the tread pattern keeps all of the chain in contact with the ground, as opposed to ags which allow the chain to droop between the lugs. So, chains on turfs are optimal, while chains on ags still work. That being said, chains on ags are much better than ags by themselves.

gpreuss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200DT w/FEL, K650 Backhoe, 5' Rotary, 40" Howard Rotavator, 6' Rhino blade
Oct 9, 2011
Spokane, WA
A lot depends on what you are willing to spend. I bought ladder chains at Les Schwab for about $160. They were 4-link chains - the ladder rungs are 4 links apart. Then I bought a couple of logging chains at Harbor Freight and a bunch of split links, and doubled up the ladder rungs. Total outlay was about $200.
These work OK on the industrial tires but I'd have second thoughts about AGs. You can get good chains for $450-$600 that have a central diamond pattern, that should work very well on the AGs.
While searching the internet I saw that many good tractor folks put used truck tires on the rear, giving excellent traction with the ordinary ladder chains.
You can probably pick them up at any junk yard or tire dealer, already mounted on wheels. Just go for the same tire diameter.

gpreuss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200DT w/FEL, K650 Backhoe, 5' Rotary, 40" Howard Rotavator, 6' Rhino blade
Oct 9, 2011
Spokane, WA
BigC,, this will give you an idea what they are talking about,, the top 2 are something like we made for the old ford worked very well back when I was a kid, have fun :D

http://www.tirechain.com/TractorChainmenu.htm
Thanks for that.. a picture really is worth a thousand words. Now I might have to turn my chains into duo-link! I'll have Big Foot on the run this year, for sure!