New To Me B2771 and Subframe

CYCLONEX

May 1, 2015
MI
Hey all. I just got my new to me front mount B2771 snowblower and subframe on my B2910 and I'm not really impressed. Blower is a barely used unit only 1/4 to 3/8 gap at impeller end but it only throws snow about 15' with tractor wide open. There is a little rust inside but my old BX2750 would throw snow 40' or so...?

Do I need to mod it up?

Also the subframe doesn't seem to have down pressure... only goes down in the float position, is that normal?

Thanks

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
Re down pressure, how many hoses connect to the hydraulic cylinder?
One hose no down pressure which would be the norm.
Is the blower rotating in the correct direction?
Is the blower driven from the rear or mid pto?
How many pto speeds does your tractor have?
Buying a $23 hand held tachometer to test the speed of the impeller would likely answer all your questions.
http://www.amazon.com/Handheld-Digital-Laser-Tachometer-Engine/dp/B009T4REQG
If you dont have the rpm's then the sonw is not going to fly very far
Dave M7040

Reactions: 1 user

Kanook

Equipment
Kubota B2650HSDC Kubota RTV900
Jun 29, 2015
Almonte, Ontario
You likely already know this but just in case....if one of the shear bolts has been replaced on one of the augers, it is possible to have the newly bolted halves of the 2 piece auger 180 degrees out. The leading edges of the 2piece augers would then be trying to fed the impeller at the same time and if this is the case the blowers ability to expel snow is diminished...they should be 180 degrees opposite...Been there and couldn't understand why my blower just wasn't chucking snow the way it used to.

CYCLONEX

May 1, 2015
MI
2 hoses, I just removed the LA402 to hook up blower it had down pressure just fine on boom and/or bucket. Blower is driven from mid pto it only has 2500 mid and 540 rear. I did know about auger ends out 180 degrees from each other. They seem to be turning close to half the speed of the BX2750 I used to have. I think putting your hand into a rotating blower to test rpm is not the safest way to do it :eek: but with maxed throttle and 2500 mid it's as per design... just not pushing more than 15' or so... could surface rust cause this much restriction?

Hope we can figure this out...

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
I don't think you understand how these tachometers work. No hands close to rotating parts.
You attach a reflective strip to the rotating part and then point the laser beam from the instrument at the strip. The laser light is reflected back to the instrument and it gives you an rpm
Here are replacement strips for when you have used up the ones that come with the tach.
http://www.amazon.com/Reflective-Ta..._UL160_SR160,160_&refRID=0HG1ZCEA64B96DX6329P
Rust on the inside of the impeller drum wont make a big difference.
Could you post a picture of the cylinder and hose(s) being used to lift the blower.
When I look at a B2771 blower on the Messick's web site I don't see anything unusual about your blower.
Dave m7040

olekid

Equipment
B7510,loader, Curtis heated cab, loaded tires snowblower,grader blade,snow plow
Apr 9, 2013
Mount Uniacke, Nova Scotia
Hey all. I just got my new to me front mount B2771 snowblower and subframe on my B2910 and I'm not really impressed. Blower is a barely used unit only 1/4 to 3/8 gap at impeller end but it only throws snow about 15' with tractor wide open. There is a little rust inside but my old BX2750 would throw snow 40' or so...?

Do I need to mod it up?

Also the subframe doesn't seem to have down pressure... only goes down in the float position, is that normal?

Thanks
hello just woundering if you ever figured out why your b2771 only throws snow 15 feet? my son has a bx and a rear mount b2771 and it only throws snow about 15feet. it has the same 1/4 gap or so on the impeller and the throttle is cranked.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
hello just woundering if you ever figured out why your b2771 only throws snow 15 feet? my son has a bx and a rear mount b2771 and it only throws snow about 15feet. it has the same 1/4 gap or so on the impeller and the throttle is cranked.
This model of blower can be used for front or 3 pt hitch mount.
When used for front mount it needs a reduction gear box to lower the mid pto rpm down to the 540 rpm the blower was designed for.
The "reduction box" is actually just a chain and two sprockets. One small and one large.
Could the reduction box still be on your used unit which you are using on the 3 pt hitch?
If it is was then the blower fan would be running much slower than the designed 540 rpm.
A physical exam would show if the sprockets are present.
A cheap laser tach would tell you the rpm the fan is doing.
On an earlier post an owner thought the tach I was suggesting required putting his hand close to rotating parts which is not how these laser tach's work
youtube
Dave

olekid

Equipment
Apr 9, 2013
When used for front mount it needs a reduction gear box to lower the mid pto rpm down to the 540 rpm the blower was designed for.
The "reduction box" is actually just a chain and two sprockets. One small and one large.
Could the reduction box still be on your used unit which you are using on the 3 pt hitch?
If it is was then the blower fan would be running much slower than the designed 540 rpm.
On an earlier post an owner thought the tach I was suggesting required putting his hand close to rotating parts which is not how these laser tach's work
youtube
Dave
Thanks Dave

olekid

Equipment
Apr 9, 2013
youtube
Dave
Dave what was wrong with your blower? Tom"s blower has no reduction box on his because he is using it on the rear and hie augers are on right.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Dave what was wrong with your blower? Tom"s blower has no reduction box on his because he is using it on the rear and hie augers are on right.
I have a much bigger blower on a M7040.

My comments arise from a previous thread where someone bought a used blower and mounted it on a different end of the tractor than it was designed for.

Dave