Engine will not run with bleeder screw closed.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I did actually talk to the tech department for the cleaner (I wanna say seafoam?) to see if that was OK on a diesel. It is designed for that use. (cleaning injectors/decarbon cylinders)

Also, if the injectors / compression were shot, surely it would be consistently flaking out, no?
Yes it's fine to use a fuel injector cleaner in the fuel, but not dumping it down the intake.
All that will do is scar the Pistons / Cylinders, damage valves, damage glow plugs, damage injectors, break rings, break piston lands, simply break anything and everything.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Is there possibly another sensor, or a computer or something/anything else that may cause this?
Nope no other computer or such to effect the engine like that.

Do a compression test on the engine to get a good baseline on the internal quality.

galstaf

Equipment
B26
Sep 27, 2018
Stone Mountain
Yes it's fine to use a fuel injector cleaner in the fuel, but not dumping it down the intake.
All that will do is scar the Pistons / Cylinders, damage valves, damage glow plugs, damage injectors, break rings, break piston lands, simply break anything and everything.
I agree. Hence it was a misting down the intake. Didn't dump it! :)

As the tractor runs totally fine a good percent of the time with no weird noises, smoking, etc, I pretty sure I didn't damage the cylinders or valves.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Would compression cause a random intermittent issue like this? It seems if the pistons or valves were bad, it would be a persistent issue, no?
Not nessasarily,
Like I said it's more of just a baseline to work from.

galstaf

Equipment
B26
Sep 27, 2018
Stone Mountain
OK, update... compression tested fine. Like I mentioned, it runs fine a lot of the time too.
It started acting up today, and I just happened to be moving the backhoe hydraulics and it seems to help.

So after some playing around, as it starts to stall and splutter randomly while just driving, moving the backhoe up and down seems to relieve some pressure and the engine comes back to speed again for a little while at least.

The hydraulic fluid level is good.

Any idea what would cause this to have an effect.. like the hydraulic fluid is resisting the engine to the point it is causing a stall and moving the backhoe is almost like "burping" it and the engine recovers.

Any idea what would cause this?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
The three point lever could be engaging?
If it's going into relief it's going to drag the engine down.

galstaf

Equipment
B26
Sep 27, 2018
Stone Mountain
Follow up for anyone with the same issue. Had the suction boot fail and it causes some WEIRD symptoms.

Kubota #32741-39150 HOSE, SUCTION

I guess it was causing air pockets in the hydraulic fluid I assume was making a hydraulic lock that that would cause the machine to random run terribly then inevitably stall and be super hard to restart especially when hot.

I thought it could be an injector pump issue, fuel pump issue, blocked fuel filter or fuel line.

Turns out to be that damn suction boot ! I only figured it out as the machine eventually wouldn't move move at all despite all the other hydraulics working just fine. An issue I had back in 2018.
Ordered the new boot .. but top tip is to just wrap it in (good quality) duct tape and it will get your machine running again until you can get parts in.

Moving fine now and no more random stalling issues!