Firewood challenge! Loading a 40 yd bin by hand

mcfarmall

Equipment
Kubota M5660SUHD, Farmall C
Sep 11, 2013
Kalamazoo, MI
That's cheating. You didn't stack it neatly in the bin. You can fit more in it if it was stacked in an orderly fashion. Fun video though!

motionclone

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L345DT with Lp mower, forks and grapple thumb, Bobcat 337 Midi Ex
May 4, 2018
Maine
You would have to pay a gen z er $1000 and a bag of weed to do that same amount of work nowadays and it would take 3 days to complete, some wood would still be left outside and they would be complaining it was too hot or too cold. All this after a 2 month search for a worker.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users

Mark_BX25D

Equipment
Bx25D
Jul 19, 2020
Virginia
You would have to pay a gen z er $1000 and a bag of weed to do that same amount of work nowadays and it would take 3 days to complete, some wood would still be left outside and they would be complaining it was too hot or too cold. All this after a 2 month search for a worker.

I strongly disagree!

I don't think you'd get one to agree to do it.

Reactions: 1 user

Mark_BX25D

Equipment
Bx25D
Jul 19, 2020
Virginia
Mkay............

Well...that probably took a year off your life. ;)

Actually, it probably ADDED years to his life. Exercise is like that.

I used to pick up wood at a firewood processor's place, and met one of his regulars. 72 years old, and he split & stacked 10 cords (all hardwoods) every year, by hand, by himself.

He looked 50. A very FIT 50.

Reactions: 2 users

Ontario Firewood Resource

Equipment
1985 Case Skid Steer 1845
Sep 11, 2022
Toronto, Ontario
Actually, it probably ADDED years to his life. Exercise is like that.

I used to pick up wood at a firewood processor's place, and met one of his regulars. 72 years old, and he split & stacked 10 cords (all hardwoods) every year, by hand, by himself.

He looked 50. A very FIT 50.
If you can do firewood, you can do anything

Reactions: 1 user

Biker1mike

Equipment
B6200, Kubota 2030 Front Blade, King Cutter 60" finishing deck
Jan 11, 2022
Gallatin, NY USA
The GEN Z in our house is still in high school. Honor roll, student newspaper writer, dance class and works part time. She pumps her own gas and knows how to check the oil dip stick. Okay, she still steals my oil but the shed door is always open to family and friends.

Like her "millennial" aunts she shows the potential to do well but, I doubt she will ever toss firewood.

I would never toss that much wood. I can afford to pay to have someone do it and it also puts more cash into their pocket. Support your local farmer is more than a bumper sticker for me.

motionclone

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L345DT with Lp mower, forks and grapple thumb, Bobcat 337 Midi Ex
May 4, 2018
Maine
The GEN Z in our house is still in high school. Honor roll, student newspaper writer, dance class and works part time. She pumps her own gas and knows how to check the oil dip stick. Okay, she still steals my oil but the shed door is always open to family and friends.

Like her "millennial" aunts she shows the potential to do well but, I doubt she will ever toss firewood.

I would never toss that much wood. I can afford to pay to have someone do it and it also puts more cash into their pocket. Support your local farmer is more than a bumper sticker for me.
My Gen z er went into the military (Navy) and is a hard worker and looking toward the future, but i think thats an exception now based on my experiences with Gen Z. I have a business that SHOULD be relying on gen Z for labor and learning and working up through the trades but the ones that answer construction ads just are not cut out for "work" . Too soft mentally and soft physically.

Geezer3d

Equipment
Kubota LX2610SU
Apr 22, 2021
Heart of the Catskills
I cut, split, and stack between eight and ten cords of firewood every year. I enjoy the work. I buy logs from a local logger, use a hydraulic splitter, and my tractor when necessary. At the most I can do a cord in a day, most days half that. Throwing chunks of wood like the man in the video would tire me out in five minutes.

Reactions: 1 users