Easiest way of cleaning and storing your mower deck for the winter??

Mystro

Aug 20, 2012
Central Pa.
What is the best way to clean and store your mid mount mower deck for the winter months while it is off of the tractor for snow duty?? What and how do you clean the under side of the deck with?

meanjean

Equipment
Kubota MX4700
Aug 10, 2010
Hazelridge, Manitoba
I make a point of cleaning my deck everytime I mow.
I use a scraper and get all the junk off.

For storing I remove the pto and put the mower anywhere it fits.
Some guys go thru the trouble of covering their mower.
If mine were nice and shiny I might, it is not so I don't.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Scrape it clean with a thick putty knife or even take a power washer to it if you happen to get your hands on one. I for one tend to go a bit over board I might take a wire brush or a wire wheel for the grinder and clean off any rust and give it a shot of paint underneath if there's bear metal showing. If nothing else you should give the spindles a shot of grease and check the blades to see if they are sharp. This way when the weather breaks your good to go come spring time.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Eric your a funny guy,,lol,,, take the deck off and lift it so the botton is towards you use a washer knock every thing off let it dry, paint any shiney stuff, pull the blades sharpen them put them back on and while your at it you might even want to change the gear oil in the transfer case, grease up the spindles then flop it back down and slip it out of the way,,come spring bada bing your ready to mow away,, not that I do it that way,, but if I wasnt so darned lazy thats how I would do it:rolleyes:

jcasper

Equipment
B7510
Aug 24, 2012
Hillsboro
Eric your a funny guy,,lol,,, take the deck off and lift it so the botton is towards you use a washer knock every thing off let it dry, paint any shiney stuff, pull the blades sharpen them put them back on and while your at it you might even want to change the gear oil in the transfer case, grease up the spindles then flop it back down and slip it out of the way,,come spring bada bing your ready to mow away,, not that I do it that way,, but if I wasnt so darned lazy thats how I would do it:rolleyes:
Lol, I love your last sentence.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Not trying to start a war, just passing info. Amsoil makes a product called Heavy Duty Metal Protector. I have used it for years. I spray it under the decks on my mowers and bushhogs and never have any trouble with grass sticking. I use it on my disc mower and inside my baler every year when I store them. The next spring they come out of the shed rust free.