Dumb Quick Hitch Question

eljuncal

Equipment
B2601HSD-1, LP Tiller, Maschio mower Titan Forks, Woods Box Blade, Herd Spreader
Oct 23, 2022
Colorado
Hi, I have a new Speeco Quick Hitch ... and ... I can't seem to get my new Woods GBC48 Box Scraper (quick hitch compatible) to hook up ... it won't 'drop into' position .. always just halfway (see pictures) ... I've had other attachments connected just fine to the Speeco quick hitch (e.g. like my LP rotary tiller ... )

I have verified that the bushing on the top of the box scraper does indeed fit into the hook of the quick hitch.

The box blade seems to be getting hung up on the two bolts that hold the quick hitch 'hook' in place on the quick hitch ?

Do I need an adapter or ? Thank you!

========UPDATE=====================

Resolved .... did I mention I'm a new tractor owner ?

Yep, thanks to the advice here plus some trial and error ... I ended up lengthening my top link quite a bit ... and dropped my quick hitch hook to the lowest position ... and then, after hooking the box blade and lifting it ... I stood behind the box blade and manually lifted that beast until she dropped into place ... wow ... success!

Btw, the latest Speeco eHitch does come with an extended hook ...

In retrospect, I perhaps believed too much in the Quick Hitch narrative of 'hook it and go' ... some things need a little more care ... and lifting :)

Is this why the Pats Easy version is popular ... it avoids the top link/hook issues?

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

je1279

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610 w/ 60" MMM, LP 72" Snow Plow, EA Wicked 55" Grapple, and Woods 60" BB
Dec 6, 2020
Upstate NY
@Kennyd4110 makes top hooks that stick out 5/8" further than some factory ones which should allow the top and bottom pins to seat fully with your setup. Just verify the measurements with your existing top hook first.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

pokey1416

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L4060HSTC, BH92 Backhoe, HLA Snow Pusher, Dirt Dog Tiller, EA DiscHarrow
Jun 24, 2020
SW Michigan
Go to back of box blade and lift it up by hand. Should drop into place. I have same thing with disc harrow.

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
I think it's probably the angle of your top link. From the picture, it looks like the top link needs to be shortened a bit to change it's angle.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
There is two issues that I see going on.
You don't have the bushings for the bottom pins.
And what your trying to hook up to on the top is not hitch location, it's just a bolt that holds the support arms, the top hole is the top link pin hole.
There were quite a few of these implements made like this before they standardized the sizing of the hitches.
You can remove the bottom bolt and get 2 short carriage bolts pointing outward to free up the slot space for the hook to grab the top pin.
then go on eBay or Amazon and order a set of bushings for the bottom pins.

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
Speeco doesn't typically need bushings. That's the point of buying one.

I looked at the photos of that box blade online. I believe he is trying to connect to the right point. Unclear what that top hole is for.

mcfarmall

Equipment
Kubota M5660SUHD, Farmall C
Sep 11, 2013
Kalamazoo, MI
SOME SpeeCo QH's don't require bushings. They make many different models. See Good Works Tractors website for more information.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Anyone wanting a QH might be well-served to visit with those who’ve already been saddled with one. POS when used with a variety of different equipt mfr’s…which is the reason most want a QH.
Learn to use a standard 3-pt hitch and it becomes totally unnecessary to go thru all the frustration of QH’’s.
Mine sits in the corner where it’s still in the way.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca

I looked at the photos of that box blade online. I believe he is trying to connect to the right point. Unclear what that top hole is for.
My speeco won't hook up half of my implements. Some are too wide, most have top link issues. I don't use the hook as a result.

If I was doing it again I'd go with the euro style ball hitch hook mounts welded in place. Second choice would be Pat's QH.

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
Obviously, it's possible to buy implements that don't meet the QH standard but say they are.
If you are in that boat, I can see selling your QH or tradeoff/adapt the implements.

However, my Rotary Cutter, Grader Scraper, and Rear Blade are Land Pride and all fit the QH just fine.

I don't change implements that much, so I think I could do without it. As is, it adds about 60-70 lbs to the 3 pt and for ground engagement and ballast that's a good thing.

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610SU, LA535 FEL w/54" bucket, LandPride BB1248, Woodland Mills WC-68
Dec 5, 2020
AL
Hi, I have a new Speeco Quick Hitch ... and ... I can't seem to get my new Woods GBC48 Box Scraper (quick hitch compatible) to hook up ... it won't 'drop into' position .. always just halfway (see pictures) ... I've had other attachments connected just fine to the Speeco quick hitch (e.g. like my LP rotary tiller ... )

I have verified that the bushing on the top of the box scraper does indeed fit into the hook of the quick hitch.

The box blade seems to be getting hung up on the two bolts that hold the quick hitch 'hook' in place on the quick hitch ?

Do I need an adapter or ? Thank you!
The particular model of Speeco hitch you have isn't a lot different from the HaulMaster I have. Regardless of brand, one thing you need to keep in mind is that most QH's are normally designed for cross category compatibility. There's a lot of difference in Cat 0, Cat 1, and Cat 2 equipment, but most QH's for Cat 1 'compatibility' are actually designed with Cat 2 dimensions, particularly pin sizes. My HaulMaster and your Speeco, however have Cat 3 hooks. The lift pins on your BB look like 7/8" diameter Cat 1 pins. The hooks on the QH are sorta like using a 20-pound sledgehammer for a flyswat, but they also eliminate a lot of production cost if they're cross-platform. "Compatible" doesn't mean your implement will be compatible with every QH, just some of them. What implement manufacturers and QH manufactures call QH "Compatible" is a totally different ball of string. Is there a "wrong" QH to get? Not really, just a wrong application of a QH based on on your implements. Not to worry, though, your problems can be solved with what you have, and certainly improve the convenience of your hitch. It will also reduce the number of mods you need to make to your "QH Compatible" implements in the future.

1. You DEFINITELY need bushings on the lifting pins, especially if you want the best performance from a box blade. You need to make sure that the lift pins cannot move around in those hooks, especially front to back. A little vertical clearance will be necessary for the latches to work, but not much. If they can move around, you cannot keep the box blade leveled where you intended. When you drag with it, the BB will tilt forward and dig in more than you want it to. When you doze with it (push in reverse), it will tilt backward and dig in more than you want. You'll be constantly adjusting the top link to stop that 'rocking' motion of the blade from affecting your work. I speak from experience. If the pins can move around in those hooks, you're probably going to get as much as 4-5 inches of slop in the back edge of the box blade and it will not stay accurately positioned as intended with the tractor. It needs to fit that QH just as tightly as it would with a direct pinned connection to the 3PH, or very close to it. Loose implements are frustrating, at best.

2. The top hook on your QH looks like it isn't low enough for the vertical spacing of the BB, and that the top hook would actually be carrying vertical load before the bottom hooks engaged. It isn't intended to, and this happens because the lift arms are causing the top hook to bottom out before the bottom hooks do. No amount of adjustment on the top link is going to fix that. It is NOT intended to lift at all. The top pin of the BB should be deep enough in the notch so that when the lift pins are fully bottomed and latched in the bottom hooks that there is still some clearance between the bottom of the top hook and the BB top pin. This keeps the implement from tilting on the QH. Because the BB is "QH Compatible", you cannot use the top hole in the BB frame with the QH. (The frame bolt is in the way). It is only intended for a pinned connection on the top link of a standard 3PH hitch set up, which is a lot more flexible than a QH, yet a lot less convenient. The hole diameter should be 15/16" for a 7/8" diameter Cat 1 pin, same as the lift pins.

There are replacement hook options for that Speeco hitch (and the cheap HaulMaster I have). Those replacements push the hook a little farther forward as well as allow it to be adjusted about an inch lower.

@North Idaho Wolfman suggested replacing the single bolt and bushing with two carriage bolts, but I'd probably use taper heads (after countersinking the holes in the braces from the inside) if I were going to go that route. Carriage bolts are a PITA unless the hole they're being used in is broached square. However, I think you'd have a bigger problem with the vertical dimension of the QH "Standard". It could probably be remedied by moving the hook up, but then, you're going to have do that same modification to EVERY "QH Compatible" implement you have. The whole point of a QH is to avoid having to get off the tractor to change un-driven implements/attachments, but don't expect it to make swapping all your implements as easy as you would like to hope. Anything with a PTO driveshaft on it is going to still require you to get off the tractor or get someone to help you. To my knowledge, there is NO QH system that will allow connecting a PTO driveshaft from the seat. There are some that make it a little less aggravating, but none that let you just back in, lift, and take off. HINT: ALWAYS connect the driveshaft first if you have a QH. You'll be glad you did.

The top hook SHOULD be deep/long enough to engage the BB top frame bolt/bushing before the bottom hooks engage in order to make it work best, and should only serve to keep the top of the BB aligned and properly angled with the plane of the tractor. The bottom radius of the hook slot really doesn't matter and isn't a load bearing surface. If you back in with the top hook centered with the top pocket, you're going to be very close to aligned with the equipment if it's still sitting where you left it on a flat surface. You may have to tweak the top link and adjustable lift link to align it. Top-N-Tilt is a wonderful option when combined with a QH, especially if you change implements often. If not, it's a very expensive add-on that gives you some bragging rights. If you have hydrostatic drive, when changing implements, low range selected for slowest movement makes small adjustments easy. It's best to set the vertical plane and rotation of the QH very close to that of the BB status, and they usually connect pretty easily. I raise my QH all the way up empty to change the top link setting from the seat and can actually adjust the leveling link too. But the smartest thing to do is make sure you're placing the implement on a flat/level surface when you disconnect it. Then, it's in the same place every time, and if you have the QH in the same place it was in when you took the BB off, it has no choice but to line back up.

Note the hooks all have square surfaces and edges as well as do the latch guides. Those tend to hang on the square edges of the pockets/slots on my LandPride BB. I had the same problems you're describing and saw some things I could do to improve a relatively good design. I'm a retired engineer, so I like solving problems that no one else knows exist with solutions that make absolutely no sense nor are they intuitively obvious to innocent lookers-on. In this case, the changes I made to my QH made PERFECT sense. The quality of the craftsmanship on the HaulMaster probably isn't quite as good as the Speeco, but a few tweaks and adjustments maed it a darn good QH. There are some photos HERE to show what I did to my HaulMaster QH, as well as the marks on my BB where the QH was binding on it. Tapering/rounding the sharp edges helps the QH center itself a lot better and doesn't really harm the strength of the hooks significantly to worry about it. Certainly not with my little LX. I have NOT replaced the top hook on mine. Adding the bushings to the lift pins also helped considerably. They sort of act like rollers so that the pin doesn't have quite so much friction on the hook. With Cat 3 bushing size, the bottom pins are bottomed out in the hooks, and it leaves about 1/8" clearance in the bottom of the top hook. The BB does NOT tilt when I use it. Just make sure to take the bushings off and coat them good with grease once in a while. Or graphite if you prefer something dirt/dust won't stick to. If your BB sits outside while unattached, you may be ahead of the game if you just remove the bushings and lynch pins if you're not using it for a while to keep them from corroding and rust welding together. I just keep all my pins and bushings in the original little storage box behind the seat. Only one place to look for them then.

eljuncal

Equipment
B2601HSD-1, LP Tiller, Maschio mower Titan Forks, Woods Box Blade, Herd Spreader
Oct 23, 2022
Colorado
Wow ... OP here .. a sincere thank you to those who posted ... what a great forum this place is! I edited my original post with how it was resolved ... I should have added with the original post that I'm a 'newbie' to tractors and quick hitches and ... everything about attachments. Ended up getting resolved though (see update/edit on original post).

Now that I've been able to hitch up my box blade, I'll certainly look at getting correct bushings to avoid excess movement of the blade under load ... thank you!

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
For what it’s worth, I have an $80 Harbor Freight QH. ($100 minus 20% coupon) for years. Not sure HF still sells them.

While I admit it has its shortcomings, once I got it figured out, it’s been great on my BX. I change implements often in the summer.

If I have issues with other implements, I would very readily get one of Kenny’s extended hooks mentioned earlier! He has my vote.

27C22B62-9B87-4A37-A87B-4D38DAABA68F.jpeg

Kennyd4110

Vendor Member
Sep 7, 2013
Westminster, MD
www.boltonhooks.com
@Kennyd4110 makes top hooks that stick out 5/8" further than some factory ones which should allow the top and bottom pins to seat fully with your setup. Just verify the measurements with your existing top hook first.

If I have issues with other implements, I would very readily get one of Kenny’s extended hooks mentioned earlier! He has my vote.
Thanks to both of you for the referrals, I really appreciate it!

Yes there may be a source for "cheaper" ones as noted above...but I guarantee no one from that company is here helping out when possible and answering questions, and I can also just about guarantee theirs in not from this country, if that matters.

The OP did contact me after ordering, and I did mention to him to check his to ensure ours was indeed larger (sticks further out).

je1279

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 6, 2020
Upstate NY
Thanks to both of you for the referrals, I really appreciate it!
You are quite welcome sir! I've purchased a few things from you over the years and none have ever disappointed.

Last edited:
  • Love

je1279

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 6, 2020
Upstate NY
Wow ... OP here .. a sincere thank you to those who posted ... what a great forum this place is! I edited my original post with how it was resolved ... I should have added with the original post that I'm a 'newbie' to tractors and quick hitches and ... everything about attachments. Ended up getting resolved though (see update/edit on original post).

Now that I've been able to hitch up my box blade, I'll certainly look at getting correct bushings to avoid excess movement of the blade under load ... thank you!
Looking at your lower quick hitch hooks, you may have the Speeco version that does not require additional bushings (a good thing). The lower hooks on my standard quick hitch are roughly 1 9/16" wide. Are yours the same width or narrower? Also, after adjusting your top link, does your box blade sit flat when in the operating position? If not, I still believe that the extended top hook would be the best solution for your problem. Additionally, this forum has numerous individuals who are always willing to assist others so please, never feel that any questions are stupid as we were all there once.

Last edited:

eljuncal

Equipment
Oct 23, 2022
Colorado
Looking at your lower quick hitch hooks, you may have the Speeco version that does not require additional bushings (a good thing). The lower hooks on my standard quick hitch are roughly 1 9/16" wide. Are yours the same width or narrower? Also, after adjusting your top link, does your box blade sit flat when in the operating position? If not, I still believe that the extended top hook would be the best solution for your problem. Additionally, this forum has numerous individuals who are always willing to assist others so please, never feel that any questions are stupid as we were all there once.
Hi, just measured the lower hitch hooks on the Speeco eHitch ... they are 1" (front to back) ... and, after measuring and comparing the Speeco supplied hook, it measures the same as the one Ken offers (Ken was kind enough to coach me to check my measurements first) ... and thus, is already 'extended'. So, does this mean that my lower hitch hooks are 'Cat 1' hook size and thus no need for bushings to fit my Cat 1 box blade?

je1279

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 6, 2020
Upstate NY
Hi, just measured the lower hitch hooks on the Speeco eHitch ... they are 1" (front to back) ... and, after measuring and comparing the Speeco supplied hook, it measures the same as the one Ken offers (Ken was kind enough to coach me to check my measurements first) ... and thus, is already 'extended'. So, does this mean that my lower hitch hooks are 'Cat 1' hook size and thus no need for bushings to fit my Cat 1 box blade?
It definitely sounds like you do not need the additional bushings. I know that my Woods box blade can be finicky on occasion with my quick hitch as well. I added the quick change pins witch allow me to easily change the top link height and as a bonus, they are narrower than the original 🔩 setup. You can see where the box blade sits on the quick hitch. Maybe it's just something to check to ensure that it is seated properly before use.

20221230_180203.jpg

Last edited: