Hydraulic oil compatability, Jd oil, Generic, Kubota...ect

Shadow_storm56

Equipment
Lawn mower
Oct 22, 2020
Canada
So here on the farm until we got our kubota orchard tractor we used John deere hygaurd hydraulic oil in everything, even the hydrostatic kubota mowers do just fine with it as well as new holland tractors. I was told that this newer tractor has to have kubotas hydraulic fluid so that's what I have been doing, keeping around another kind of fluid specifically for this tractor.

My question is this true or is it just marketing bs and their stuff is the same as hyguard?

Thunder chicken

Equipment
M7060
Dec 29, 2019
Northern ontario
You won't need to add much oil to your 7060. You won't change it till 500hrs if you follow the book. Keep a gallon jug around!
And in Canada we have 'Premium UDT', you'll see our American friends mention UDT or SUDT. We have neither in Canada.

Reactions: 1 user

lmichael

Equipment
Kubota G2160
Apr 23, 2021
Rockford IL area
Use whatever you want but remember one thing. Proper oils and lubricants are relatively cheap, Equipment ruined by not using it? Not so much

Shadow_storm56

Equipment
Lawn mower
Oct 22, 2020
Canada
Use whatever you want but remember one thing. Proper oils and lubricants are relatively cheap, Equipment ruined by not using it? Not so much
Well yes but storing 3 different types of hydraulic/transmission fluid all the time is less cheap. Especially if they are all the same with different branding.... thus why I asked :😜

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Seems like your mind is already made up. Go with it. It's your machine, your money, your time and you're saving storage space!

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
No I'm literally asking if they are different lol.... minds not made up.
If you look at your owners manual it will tell you SUDT2 is "highly recommended" and regular UDT is "permitted for use". Nowhere does it say other UTTO products are "not permitted" because Kubota knows that's a bridge too far.

Hygard Low-vis (J20D) and SUDT2 are very similar oils at very similar price points.

Hygard (J20C) and UDT are very similar oils at very similar price points.

Post #78 in the thread linked below lists the actual properties of UDT and SUDT2 that I posted a while back . That thread is very long and should tell you all you need to know about how people feel and think on this subject

Personally I only have Kubota equipment so its easy to simply use SUDT2 and avoid all of the kerfuffle. If I had a large mixed fleet I would have to consider the pros and cons of alternatives. Apparently you have already done that with your mowers.

Dan

Last edited:

Gb540

Jan 9, 2021
Central US
Coming from the medium-duty construction equipment world, a ~$25,000 axle rebuild buys a lot of the correct oil...

Workplace has an assortment of a certain machine. All are the same make and size, but are different ages/revisions. Each one uses different hydraulic, transmission, and axle fluids. And we stock them all. Would LOVE to have "one fluid for everything" but in our case that's not an option.

Shadow_storm56

Equipment
Lawn mower
Oct 22, 2020
Canada
If you look at your owners manual it will tell you SUDT2 is "highly recommended" and regular UDT is "permitted for use". Nowhere does it say other UTTO products are "not permitted" because Kubota knows that's a bridge too far.

Hygard Low-vis (J20D) and SUDT2 are very similar oils at very similar price points.

Hygard (J20C) and UDT are very similar oils at very similar price points.

Here is a summary of the actual properties of UDT and SUDT2 I posted a while back - that thread is very long and should tell you all you need to know about how people feel and think on this subject

Personally I only have Kubota equipment so its easy to simply use SUDT2 and avoid all of the kerfuffle. If I had a large mixed fleet I would have to consider the pros and cons of alternatives. Apparently you have already done that with your mowers.

Dan
Coming from the medium-duty construction equipment world, a ~$25,000 axle rebuild buys a lot of the correct oil...

Workplace has an assortment of a certain machine. All are the same make and size, but are different ages/revisions. Each one uses different hydraulic, transmission, and axle fluids. And we stock them all. Would LOVE to have "one fluid for everything" but in our case that's not an option.
Do you ever wonder though if you have 2-3 that are the exact same thing different branded?

woodman55

Equipment
L6060HSTC, RTV 1100
May 15, 2022
canada
You won't need to add much oil to your 7060. You won't change it till 500hrs if you follow the book. Keep a gallon jug around!
And in Canada we have 'Premium UDT', you'll see our American friends mention UDT or SUDT. We have neither in Canada.
I did some digging a while ago, and our premium udt is the same as the american sudt. It is a branding issue between kubota canada and kubota usa.

Reactions: 1 user

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Do you ever wonder though if you have 2-3 that are the exact same thing different branded?
There is very little differrence in different brands of traditional UTTOs and that includes UDT.

SUDT2 is clearly different - I pointed you to the data but in case you could not find it in that thread here it is again.

Missing from that table is the ability of SUDT to absorb 1% by volume water without forming filter and valve clogging emulsions, sludge, of percipitates. That is something conventional formulations can not do.

Dan

1665008112160.png

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users