L260 Transmission Parts

rookiefarmer

Equipment
1972 L260
Nov 1, 2011
Colfax, IN
Hey All! I have a 70's L260 and I blew a bearing in the transmission. I split the case yesterday and almost have the transmission and differential disassembled. All of the bearings have wear/rough spots from the many years of sitting and neglect from the previous owner and I would like to replace ALL of the bearings and seals so I don't have to do this labor intensive process again in the future.

My question is this, I have found all of the necessary parts and pieces on Messicks, but boy are they proud of some of these bearings. I understand that this in an obsolete tractor and parts are incredibly difficult to find. Are there any other sources to locate the hard-to-find parts? I did a quick google search and wasn't able to come up with anything.

Also, I have been taking lots of pics and will post them as soon as I have time.

Thanks in advance!

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Without going used you are probably at one of the cheaper sources.

What should amaze you is the fact that you can still buy factory parts for a tractor that's been obsolete for 40+ years! ;)

rookiefarmer

Equipment
1972 L260
Nov 1, 2011
Colfax, IN
Without going used you are probably at one of the cheaper sources.

What should amaze you is the fact that you can still buy factory parts for a tractor that's been obsolete for 40+ years! ;)
In my previous dealings with Messicks on this old machine, a lot of times they aren't exactly 'Factory' parts. Its either truly an aftermarket part or they are able to purchase directly from the original supplier.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Might try what Rentthis suggested.

Take some bearings to a supply house. Might see if you have an IBT (Industrial Bearing & Transmission) warehouse. Let them cross reference your parts. They'll mic your parts and if they don't have them they can give you availability and cost.

I you have a parts lists with cost from Messick you will know which way to go as soon as IBT would give you a price.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
I agree with rentthis and d2cat. Find a reputable bearing supplier in town. A quick Google search should pop them up. As you disassemble, take note of the manufacturer and the part number inscribed on the bearing. Make sure if your gonna have to torch and cut one off to note the number and make first ;)

I was in and out of the local bearing supplier with a couple sealed roller bearing for the fan on mine for 10$. The bearings were actually from the same manufacturer as the originals :) Called them when I did the rear wheel seal, gave them the make and number, and they were able to match those bearing up as well. Even if they are around the same price as messicks, you can avoid the shipping charges.

Last edited:

rookiefarmer

Equipment
1972 L260
Nov 1, 2011
Colfax, IN
I agree with rentthis and d2cat. Find a reputable bearing supplier in town. A quick Google search should pop them up. As you disassemble, take note of the manufacturer and the part number inscribed on the bearing. Make sure if your gonna have to torch and cut one off to note the number and make first ;)

I was in and out of the local bearing supplier with a couple sealed roller bearing for the fan on mine for 10$. The bearings were actually from the same manufacturer as the originals :) Called them when I did the rear wheel seal, gave them the make and number, and they were able to match those bearing up as well. Even if they are around the same price as messicks, you can avoid the shipping charges.
Thanks everyone for the advice. I will contact our bearing supplier and see what he can do for me. I will update this thread with what I find out.

rentthis

Lifetime Member
May 30, 2012
summerville,sc
If you have a camera on your telephone, take pictures as you disassemble. That saves me a bunch of reassembly grief.

MessickFarmEqu

Apr 16, 2010
PA
In my previous dealings with Messicks on this old machine, a lot of times they aren't exactly 'Factory' parts. Its either truly an aftermarket part or they are able to purchase directly from the original supplier.
FYI. we only do OEM parts unless you specifically ask for aftermarket. Its possible in your case that the OEM changed suppliers. That happens fairly frequently.

rookiefarmer

Equipment
1972 L260
Nov 1, 2011
Colfax, IN
FYI. we only do OEM parts unless you specifically ask for aftermarket. Its possible in your case that the OEM changed suppliers. That happens fairly frequently.
Thanks for the clarification. I receive my email notification that the transmission parts will be shipping from your facility today. All parts except one needle bearing were still available. Thanks for the assistance Messicks!

rookiefarmer

Equipment
1972 L260
Nov 1, 2011
Colfax, IN
All parts have arrived. Everything was as promised. So tractor is completely disassembled and I even had time to start going back together. I couldn't believe in the quality of this tractor, especially the metallurgy on the fasteners. I am an ASE master certified auto tech and have been for the past 15 years. I can try to disassemble a 3 yr old Subaru and all the bolts will be rusted and siezed. This 40 +year old tractor didn't have one stuck bolt during disassembly, color me amazed.

Here are a couple of photos from the disassembly process. I will update this thread as I go on.

Attachments

rookiefarmer

Equipment
1972 L260
Nov 1, 2011
Colfax, IN
By the way, this is the first tractor I have owned, the first tractor I have split, and the first basic mechanical diesel that I have ever worked on. It's been quite the learning curve lol.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I would say you couldn't have found a better tractor company to do it with.
I've had excellent luck working on a lot of different Kubota's.

rookiefarmer

Equipment
1972 L260
Nov 1, 2011
Colfax, IN
Had a couple of hours to work on the L260 today. Transmission bearings are all replaced. The pinion bearing had essentially exploded along with significant wear on multiple other bearings. It's apparent that the previous owner was telling the truth that his dad had new gears put in the trans a few years back. No wear whatsoever on the gearsets.

I do need to order some more parts. I'm pretty sure the brakes aren't supposed to be lubricated in gear oil.:confused: need bearings and seals for the final drive units.

Question? Are there torque values for the bolts on the transmission? The manual I am using just states to 'tighten securely' on most every bolt. Seems a bit odd to me.

Attachments

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Had a couple of hours to work on the L260 today. Transmission bearings are all replaced. The pinion bearing had essentially exploded along with significant wear on multiple other bearings. It's apparent that the previous owner was telling the truth that his dad had new gears put in the trans a few years back. No wear whatsoever on the gearsets.

I do need to order some more parts. I'm pretty sure the brakes aren't supposed to be lubricated in gear oil.:confused: need bearings and seals for the final drive units.

Question? Are there torque values for the bolts on the transmission? The manual I am using just states to 'tighten securely' on most every bolt. Seems a bit odd to me.

Some models have wet brakes, but yes that model does not have wet brakes. :cool:

I have a sheet of general torque spec to bolt type and size, I'll see if I can dig it up.
If I can't find it, you can get general specs off the internet, but honestly I've never worried about written specs, just common size of bolt to amount of force to put to it thought.
If its a small bolt small torque, medium bolt medium torque, large bolt... you get it.
There isn't a whole lot of stretch to old bolts so tight it bottomed and a very little more. ;)

rookiefarmer

Equipment
1972 L260
Nov 1, 2011
Colfax, IN
Some models have wet brakes, but yes that model does not have wet brakes. :cool:

I have a sheet of general torque spec to bolt type and size, I'll see if I can dig it up.
If I can't find it, you can get general specs off the internet, but honestly I've never worried about written specs, just common size of bolt to amount of force to put to it thought.
If its a small bolt small torque, medium bolt medium torque, large bolt... you get it.
There isn't a whole lot of stretch to old bolts so tight it bottomed and a very little more. ;)
NIW, the only nuts that I was really concerned about were the 8 nuts holding the side differential bearing races in and the nut on the end of the pinion shaft. With my automotive background, that seemed pretty critical.

David Page

Equipment
1974 L260, 6" bush hog, subsoiler, spring tooth harrow, boom pole, 2 bottom plow
Jun 25, 2013
Dexter, ME

Hey NIW, my I&T shop manual says to Drain down trans or elevate side of tractor for the L210-L260. If I read what you are saying right I don't have to on my L260? Thanks for looking.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Hey NIW, my I&T shop manual says to Drain down trans or elevate side of tractor for the L210-L260. If I read what you are saying right I don't have to on my L260? Thanks for looking.
Are you just draining it to change fuilds?