battery disconnect

sncopeland

Equipment
Kubota L3901, loader, box blade, mower, rake, tiller, grapple
Aug 8, 2021
St. Francisville, LA
found out recently that tractor keys are universal. Someone with an L series Kubota can start my tractor. What is the best way to safeguard my tractor. I have seen battery disconnects. Is this easy to install?

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
old skool ones clamp onto battery, then battery cable to it. You have to open hood to turn on and off.
new ones are electronic, need a key fob to control power.
now a 'proper' thief will have a custom battery jumper cable, 12" long to bypass any/all 'battery disconnects'.
A determined thief WILL be able steal your tractor,no matter what 'security' measures you have, so have good insurance on it

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
If you keep it in a very remote unguarded location - use the FEL and raise the front end and remove ONE tire/rim and place that elsewhere. This is not something I would recommend if you use the tractor every week or so. But many have their tractor "at the farm" or places that 20+ miles away, little or no way to keep an eye on the property.

lynnmor

Equipment
B2601-1
May 3, 2021
Red Lion
I have battery disconnects on a truck and an RV, the cheap ones are junk, I replaced them with the Blue Sea brand.

Get at least two game cameras and aim them so they capture not only the tractor, but any path that a thief may use for walking or driving. Game cameras are available that connect to the cell phone system for additional security.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Game Camera used for Security:

7452FD85-7E4E-444E-BAAD-E0B52A0BBF48.gif

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 6 users

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
old skool ones clamp onto battery, then battery cable to it. You have to open hood to turn on and off.
new ones are electronic, need a key fob to control power.
now a 'proper' thief will have a custom battery jumper cable, 12" long to bypass any/all 'battery disconnects'.
A determined thief WILL be able steal your tractor,no matter what 'security' measures you have, so have good insurance on it
That is the BEST answer!
GOOD INSURANCE !!!!

Reactions: 1 user

Elliott in GA

Equipment
LX 2610SU w/535,LP RCR1860,FDR1660,SGC0554,FSP500, DD BBX60005
Mar 10, 2021
North Georgia
We keep our tractor at our property under a carport in North Georgia, and we are up there every couple of weeks.

I have Cuddeback cellular game cameras watching my tractor. I have multiple cameras on one cellular plan that is less than $15 per month.

The tractor is chained down with a standard chain and lock, as are all of the implements/attachments.

The tractor also has a Kryptonite NY chain lock around the front axel and FEL. You cannot raise the FEL, which would make loading/driving the tractor very, very difficult.

The gate on the driveway is locked; you cannot steal what you cannot see. There is not opportunity for anyone to "mistakenly / looking for a different address" drive in to see what there is to steal.

All of the locks can be defeated with proper tools and time. However as soon as I start receiving images from the cameras, I will be on the phone to the sheriff's office - less than 10 minutes away.

As all have noted, the final protection is good insurance.

MapleLeafFarmer

Equipment
Lots incl. B and L kubotas
Dec 2, 2019
E.
if i remember correctly your L has a 4 place fuse block under the hood near the battery that has 3 fuses in it. Near the rad over flow bottle and real easy to get to.
Find the fuse that is used in starting the tractor and when not in use pull this fuse and place in the open slot for safe keeping.
Chances are thief would not know one fuse was out of place and tractor will not start.

Reactions: 4 users

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
Top up your insurance and don't worry about it. Park the equipment you like in a locked barn and your insurance will reward you with better premiums.

If someone is intent on stealing your machine it's gone. You will only deter kids joyriding in the middle of the night.

FYI my ZTR, CTL and UTV all start with the same key - even though there's a 12 year span in model years.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Top up your insurance and don't worry about it. Park the equipment you like in a locked barn and your insurance will reward you with better premiums.

If someone is intent on stealing your machine it's gone. You will only deter kids joyriding in the middle of the night.

FYI my ZTR, CTL and UTV all start with the same key - even though there's a 12 year span in model years.
Exactly correct!
I leave my equipment in two locked barns from November until May, while I am many miles away.
USAA tells me that with replacement value coverage I am fully protected for fire, windstorm, and theft!
I certainly hope so!

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
I have only owned two pieces of equipment with battery cutoffs.
My fiver that uses a marine style switch with lots of options, very high quality.
And the excavator I just picked up- with what I'm guessing is a real cheapie.
It was pretty intermittent when I got it, but after cleaning all the dirt, grease, and dead possum guts out of it, it seems to work fine.
BIL put it on because he thought there was a parasitic draw when sitting, I haven't seen that yet.

IMG_0001 2.JPG IMG_0003 2.JPG IMG_0002 2.JPG

Chewman

Equipment
LX2610
Apr 12, 2022
Michigan
Has anyone installed a cut off switch between the key switch and the starter solenoid. If you have; where did you place the switch? I dont like the generic key Kubota is using when a tractor costs what they do. Search Kubota Key on Amazon and see what is available for master keys. I was surprised.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019

ctfjr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Dec 7, 2009
central ct
That remote shutoff may not be such a great device in certain applications. If you don't 'kill it' when you leave the tractor for some substantial time the relay remains pulled in, drawing ??? current. It might be enough to drain your battery after several days.

Maine Farmer

Equipment
M6040, m6800, IH 1066 hydro, jd3020
Sep 5, 2021
Maine
My grandfather liked putting fuel shut offs on machines besides just the factory ones. Had a high school kid try to steal some machinery and nothing would run long enough to get it on a trailer.… so I would add a fuel shut off and leave the battery alone.

bbxlr8

Equipment
L2501 w/R14s, LA525, BH77, SGC0660, CL 5' BB, CL PHD, WG24 + Ford 1210 60" mmm,
Mar 29, 2021
Eastern PA
You hear the same things in the classic car world. Common sense, good insurance, and few basic deterrents for the casual idiots are generally what people do. Professionals or someone lesser that is smart and wants it will find a way...

Regarding Disconnects: some use the brass knife style battery cut off as one of the layers - you can't take it or hide it like the knob, but it is more robust. Another main point of this kind is to cut electric current to the vehicle. I have them on both old cars.
  • The other timeless classic is wiring in a hidden kill switch to the coil.
  • The fuel cut off (mechanical vs electrical) as per above is good
  • Newer tech: some are hiding an apple air tag @ $25 (pro's & cons to this as well)
61-BT1v4vcL._SX425_.jpg

Last edited:

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
Apr 2, 2019
that electronic remote only draws 3-5 milliamps in standby,won't drain battery for weeks.....
I don't have one to know the 'on' current ,but is using an SSR maybe another 2-3ma.

Pawnee

Equipment
L2501
Jul 1, 2021
Ontario Canada
If you disconnect the battery as a theft deterrent I would say it's almost an encouragement because it's so easy to figure out what's going on.

I will be putting a hidden switch in line with one of the start interlock switches. That way, the thief will see lights come on and think it won't start because a lever is engaged or ....

Given the difficulties lots of us have had with interlocks on legally owned machines, I'm thinking this would be a good plan.
Just don't forget what you've done and remember where you hid the switch.