Rear wheel spacing and making things difficult for myself ... again!

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25DLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
The local dealer seems to prefer delivering MX tractors with the rear wheels spaced at the second to narrowest setting. This is how they delivered the first MX, and the second. This is shown as configuration #2 below. For clarification, the dealer does this so that the rear wheels aren't wider than the standard bucket in order to prevent the rear wheels from straddling a trench or similar when removing dirt with the bucket. Not a problem for me though.

rear_wheels.jpg

There was an MX6000 HST ready for delivery at the dealer yesterday and the rear wheels were set up at the widest setting i.e. configuration #4. I asked a salesman if he could help me measure outside to outside on the rear tires and we came up with 79-1/2" which means that I could still fit the MX on the flatbed trailer with 81-3/4" between the fenders. Well, damn! Now I want to change the rear wheel spacing on my MX6000 HSTC. I should have thought about this before I had the dealer install 600lb of wheel weights and deliver the tractor to me the week before Christmas. I'll need to swap the wheels left to right and right to left too once the rim is adjusted. What a pain! Those weights are 100lb each and awkward. I think I'll need help.

Here are some photos for comparison.

Current rear wheel spacing #2.

mx_wheels_1.jpg

Widest rear wheel spacing #4.

mx_wheels_2.jpg

Conclusion: Think more about stuff before taking delivery.

Last edited:

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I forgot to mention, the rear tires are filled with ballast so they're going to be heavy! I wonder if there's some clever way to use another tractor and loader or 3-point to help with this project. Perhaps I'd be better off taking the tractor to the dealer and having them do it.

Follow up: I just called the dealer and they figure about 4 hours work and around $400 to do this, assuming I deliver and pick up the tractor.

mx_wheels_5.jpg

Last edited:

MOOTS

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX6000
Jun 27, 2019
Canton, Georgia
Wide.jpg

Weight.jpg

Mine are set one setting in from widest. So #3 I'd guess. I can measure when I get home. Completely changed the tractor with weight and width, at least by my seat-o-pants meter.

Reactions: 1 user

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
View attachment 78272
View attachment 78273
Mine are set one setting in from widest. So #3 I'd guess. I can measure when I get home. Completely changed the tractor with weight and width, at least by my seat-o-pants meter.
Any reason why you didn't go for the widest setting? Those factory wheel weights are awesome aren't they!

I picked up 1,800lb or more of concrete yesterday with pallet forks and without any implement or ballast box on the rear of the tractor and had no sense of the tractor wanting to throw me through the windscreen. Wheel weights plus beet juice plus a cab (maybe not needed) plus wide spaced wheels = happy operator. :)

MOOTS

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX6000
Jun 27, 2019
Canton, Georgia
Any reason why you didn't go for the widest setting? Those factory wheel weights are awesome aren't they!

I picked up 1,800lb or more of concrete yesterday with pallet forks and without any implement or ballast box on the rear of the tractor and had no sense of the tractor wanting to throw me through the windscreen. Wheel weights plus beet juice plus a cab (maybe not needed) plus wide spaced wheels = happy operator. :)
This is stupid but, the widest setting just looks dumb. Lol. And where I park at the moment is a bit tight. Plus I only have a 6’ cutter.

Yes, the weights with filled rears are a must!

Last edited:

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
This is stupid but, the widest setting just looks dumb. Lol. And where I park at the moment is a bit tight. Plus I only have a 6’ cutter.

Yes, the weights with filled rears are a must!
Maybe the cab model would look less "dumb" given the proportions with the cab and all. 🤔 I have a 7ft rotary cutter, and although the flail mower is only a little over 5ft wide it's the offset variety so not a problem.

MOOTS

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX6000
Jun 27, 2019
Canton, Georgia
Maybe the cab model would look less "dumb" given the proportions with the cab and all. 🤔 I have a 7ft rotary cutter, and although the flail mower is only a little over 5ft wide it's the offset variety so not a problem.
Possibly the cab would help it. Just looks like a frog ready to jump to me.

Just measured, outside lug to outside lug is 73 and a half... ish.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, Ford 8N, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
I’d argue (politely with respect) that if you load ever slips and it is setting between the fenders it’s going to leave a mark….just saying. As you chain down you compress the tires and likewise as traveling bouncing load can shift and loosen up…if that happens it’s going to leave a mark i suspect. On a machine that size I think a deck over would be helpful and easier to secure the load.

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
I would leave the changeover to the dealership. If one of those tires were to fall on you, you would be seriously hurt, and your tractor days would be over for a while or worse. The dealer has big equipment to handle projects like this safely, which you don't.

Reactions: 1 users

Thunder chicken

Equipment
M7060
Dec 29, 2019
Northern ontario
I swapped the wheels around on my m7060, (take centers out of rims to flip sides and widen), also had wheel weights installed (175# each?)
There was 2 of us and we needed another tractor (loader). It wasn’t hard, nor dangerous, just have to plan ahead like any heavy work. It took two of us and a third showed up which made it even easier. With the second tractor if you are by yourself I suppose one could manage as you’re likely used to working by yourself. If not, call a friend. Have beers chilling for afterwards.

Have the correct size metric impact sockets?

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
Possibly the cab would help it. Just looks like a frog ready to jump to me.

Just measured, outside lug to outside lug is 73 and a half... ish.
That’s what my wheel settings are also. I don’t want any wider because I have a 6’ cutter.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I would leave the changeover to the dealership. If one of those tires were to fall on you, you would be seriously hurt, and your tractor days would be over for a while or worse. The dealer has big equipment to handle projects like this safely, which you don't.
I'm certainly leaning that way.

I'm picking up the M6060 at the end of the month and will drop it off at the local dealer for some upgrades, ballast etc., on my way back from WY. There's a good chance that I'll have them set the M wheels at the widest setting before they install the wheel weights. The dealer is only 2.7 miles from my house so if the M won't fit on the trailer with the wheels at the widest setting I can always drive it home and then look for a bigger trailer at my leisure.

Once that's done and I have the M at the house I can then trailer the MX to the dealer to have them mess with the wheels. The MX won't fit in the garage and I really don't have a good level spot to do such a big project, although I could put down some good plywood to prevent the floor jacks and jack stands from digging into the asphalt. Yeah, I think $400 is worth it to have the dealer handle this.

Reactions: 1 users

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Have the correct size metric impact sockets?
Yep, and a fancy Milwaukee M18 impact as well as an IR air impact. I have the tools to do this but a level concrete area would be a plus and I don't have that outside the garage.