8 or 12 speed on the M7060

choctawroseranch

Equipment
6060/7060
Feb 25, 2022
SE Oklahoma
Looking at a M7060 ROPS. What's the advantage of either the 8 or 12 speed trans over the other? is one better suited for certain type usage or does it really matter?

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25DLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
12-speed gives you more gear ratios with six forward and six reverse gears for two ranges of low and high. 12 becomes 18 with the creeper option. More gears increases the chance of being in an optimal gear for whatever you're doing. Have you ever found yourself between gears when for example going up a hill in a car or truck?

The M6060 is only available with an 8-speed high and low range but the creeper option adds another four to that.

This is akin to a three range HST vs. two range. Three ranges is better.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
The 6 speed synchronized main transmission reduces the need to stop to shift ranges as conditions change.

Reactions: 1 user

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
The 6 speed synchronized main transmission reduces the need to stop to shift ranges as conditions change.
In case the OP is confused, the tractor needs to be stationary when shifting between high and low range, but all gears are synchronized regardless of range. In other words, you can depress the clutch and shift gears while moving for any of the 12/18 or 8/12 forward or reverse gears, but the tractor must be stationary when selecting creep, low or high ranges.

I hadn't realized this about creep speed:

Creep speed should be used only when doing one
of the following jobs:

1. Deep rotary-tilling and harrowing
2. Planting
3. Turf application

Creep speed can not be used for any of the
followings:

1. Pulling a trailer
2. Front-loader operation
3. Front-blade operation
4. Earth-moving
5. Entering and leaving a field
6. Loading onto and unloading from a truck

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
12-speed gives you more gear ratios with six forward and six reverse gears for two ranges of low and high. 12 becomes 18 with the creeper option. More gears increases the chance of being in an optimal gear for whatever you're doing. Have you ever found yourself between gears when for example going up a hill in a car or truck?

The M6060 is only available with an 8-speed high and low range but the creeper option adds another four to that.

This is akin to a three range HST vs. two range. Three ranges is better.
I think that....YOU NEED a 12 speed M7060 (with a big snow pusher) !!!!

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I think that....YOU NEED a 12 speed M7060 (with a big snow pusher) !!!!
I'm in Wyoming and am heading over to the Kubota dealership this morning to pick up the auger I bought yesterday. I'm going to take a good look at the M6060s again while I'm there.

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
I'm in Wyoming and am heading over to the Kubota dealership this morning to pick up the auger I bought yesterday. I'm going to take a good look at the M6060s again while I'm there.
What'd you get home with?

Thunder chicken

Equipment
M7060
Dec 29, 2019
Northern ontario
As to the 8vs 12, check the hydraulic flow specs, I think the 12 has a higher flow, for what it may matter. And does the 8 have the ePTO option? Nice for light work when not all the bonus needed saving fuel

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Looking at a M7060 ROPS. What's the advantage of either the 8 or 12 speed trans over the other? is one better suited for certain type usage or does it really matter?
I hope someone that's owned both will chime in and let us all know if 12 really is better than 8 for typical use. The M6060 only offers the 8 speed which becomes 12 with the creep option.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
I hope someone that's owned both will chime in and let us all know if 12 really is better than 8 for typical use. The M6060 only offers the 8 speed which becomes 12 with the creep option.
Have owned and operated both with same mowers in same parcels.

As previously stated, 6 speed synchronized main transmission reduces need to stop to change ranges vis a vis 4 speed synchronized main transmission.

Creep option is not relevant to this discussion.

SDT

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Have owned and operated both with same mowers in same parcels.

As previously stated, 6 speed synchronized main transmission reduces need to stop to change ranges vis a vis 4 speed synchronized main transmission.

Creep option is not relevant to this discussion.

SDT
You've owned and operated both and all you can say is what is completely obvious. Was the 8-speed a problem mowing the same parcel compared to the 12 speed? Did you often have to stop and change range with the 8-speed but didn't with the 12-speed? Mowing is a low bar in terms of these machines so you couldn't stay in high range with the 8-speed and four forward gears weren't enough?

I think creep option is absolutely relevant but you're entitled to your opinion as I am to mine.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
You've owned and operated both and all you can say is what is completely obvious. Was the 8-speed a problem mowing the same parcel compared to the 12 speed? Did you often have to stop and change range with the 8-speed but didn't with the 12-speed? Mowing is a low bar in terms of these machines so you couldn't stay in high range with the 8-speed and four forward gears weren't enough?

I think creep option is absolutely relevant but you're entitled to your opinion as I am to mine.
Please advise what is incorrect in my post above.

I'll wait.

SDT

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Please advise what is incorrect in my post above.

I'll wait.

SDT
I didn't say anything was incorrect, just commented on the total lack of information from someone who claims to have owned and used an 8-speed and a 12-speed extensively.

I got suspended for a week for getting into stuff with you and I enjoy this forum so I won't get into anything nasty with you this time. Given all of your experience with the two types of transmission mentioned I would expect a more thorough response to the OP's question. As it stands you've merely pointed out something that anyone can figure out for themselves.

Oh for the record, you didn't spell vis-à-vis correctly so I suppose there's that.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
To get back on track, I've been looking at an M6060 recently and so have been looking at the specs for it and the M7060. There are some features that you get when you choose the F12/R12 that you don't get with the F8/R8.

Hydraulic wet disc brakes vs. mechanical wet disc brakes
Electro-hydraulic on-the-go 4WD clutch vs. Mechanical on-the-go 4WD clutch
540/540E standard vs. optional
16.2 gpm pump capacity vs. 11.0 gpm pump capacity
Overdrive - H6 limits engine speed to 1960 rpm for better fuel economy
24mph top speed vs. 18mph top speed
Transmission parking lock vs. no transmission parking lock

So beyond the obvious, you might want to opt for the F12/R12 if the other features are of interest to you, but you can always add the 540/540E to an 8F/8R if desired.

From the M60 brochure ...

F12/R12 Transmission
(Factory option on M7060HD/HDC models)
For heavy-duty work such as plowing, hay work and
heavy trailer applications
M7060HD/HDC models
can be equipped with an F12/R12 transmission.
This transmission features six speeds of the main
shift and a high/low range giving it a total of 12
Forward and 12 Reverse speeds.

Last edited:

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
I didn't say anything was incorrect, just commented on the total lack of information from someone who claims to have owned and used an 8-speed and a 12-speed extensively.

I got suspended for a week for getting into stuff with you and I enjoy this forum so I won't get into anything nasty with you this time. Given all of your experience with the two types of transmission mentioned I would expect a more thorough response to the OP's question. As it stands you've merely pointed out something that anyone can figure out for themselves.

Oh for the record, you didn't spell vis-à-vis correctly so I suppose there's that.
This is a tractor chat forum not an appellate brief. Time spent in such forums is nearly always measured in seconds. Accordingly, I neither spell check nor proof read things posted herein.

If that is the best you can do, I'll ignore your nit picking.

Last edited:
  • Dislike

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma

Ouch....you were a bad boy here on OTT?
Similar thing happened to me over on TBN last Fall......suspended twice in 6 weeks.
I put TBN in my rear view mirror.
Seemingly much more reasonable here!

Last edited:
  • Haha

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Ouch....you were a bad boy here on OTT?
Similar thing happened to me over on TBN last Fall......suspended twice in 6 weeks.
I put TBN in my rear view mirror.
Seemingly much more reasonable here!
Yeah. I'm not good at letting BS slide but I've been informed by a moderator that I can't call out members for lying about what they've done, what they know, or who they are. I didn't grow up in an anonymous culture where there's no accountability but that's become the norm with platforms such as Instagram, Facebook, Twitter and forums like this. Since I'm not a touchy feely, everyone gets a trophy type of person the moderators decided to make me stand in the corner and face the wall for a week. :LOL: The Cliff Clavins are alive and well and obviously thriving in this keyboard warrior culture. That said, I've learned a lot here from some members, learned absolutely nothing from others, and tried to add useful and accurate information when possible.

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Yeah. I'm not good at letting BS slide but I've been informed by a moderator that I can't call out members for lying about what they've done, what they know, or who they are. I didn't grow up in an anonymous culture where there's no accountability but that's become the norm with platforms such as Instagram, Facebook, Twitter and forums like this. Since I'm not a touchy feely, everyone gets a trophy type of person the moderators decided to make me stand in the corner and face the wall for a week. :LOL: The Cliff Clavins are alive and well and obviously thriving in this keyboard warrior culture. That said, I've learned a lot here from some members, learned absolutely nothing from others, and tried to add useful and accurate information when possible.
It is very obvious to me that we are "cut from the same cloth", though at my age, my "cloth" is nearly worn out.

Last edited: