opinion Grand L 3940

brushhogger

Equipment
m4800
Apr 23, 2012
tyler, texas, us
Hello, I am looking to buy a L3800 or step up to a Grand L. I am wondering how much transmission whine could be expected out of a L3800 with a gear transmission? Would a Grand L 3940 with a GST transmission have any whine? Would one be any quieter than the other? I cannot stand a transmission that whines! I guess thats why I have always stayed away from HST, although I've heard plenty of gear transmissions that whined. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Kingcreek

Equipment
Grand L3010 GST 4wd, LA481FEL, various attachments and accessories
Aug 3, 2011
NW Illinois
My Grand L w GST doesn't whine.
My step-daughter whines all the time.
Lucky for me, my hearing is bad.

Iguide

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L 6060 With all the bells & wistles I can muster, 5/ll & Lown performance protec
Hello, I am looking to buy a L3800 or step up to a Grand L. I am wondering how much transmission whine could be expected out of a L3800 with a gear transmission? Would a Grand L 3940 with a GST transmission have any whine? Would one be any quieter than the other? I cannot stand a transmission that whines! I guess thats why I have always stayed away from HST, although I've heard plenty of gear transmissions that whined. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Hi Brushhogger:

I own an L3800 geared and I have no trany whine at all. For my use it is the perfect size and I just don't like hydro's. I tried the L3800 hydro and those that like it can have it. I like gears and greater lifting capability.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I have a buddy with a GST tranny. It makes some noise but not bad. The clutchless shifting sure is nice though.

brushhogger

Equipment
m4800
Apr 23, 2012
tyler, texas, us
Hello, I test drove a L3800 gear transmission and a L3800 HST today. I have to agree with Iguide on the hydro, I did not care for it much. At first I thought it was quiet until I turned around and drove up hill. That thing was just plain loud. I then drove a L3800 gear drive I must say that tractor was very quiet. If the gear tractor runs that quiet after warm up, I would be very happy with it. Very little trans noise if any at all. This thing has what they call Live-continous pto. What is live continous pto? My current tractor has independent pto. What is the difference between the two? Again, thank you all for your help.

Iguide

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L 6060 With all the bells & wistles I can muster, 5/ll & Lown performance protec
Hello, I test drove a L3800 gear transmission and a L3800 HST today. I have to agree with Iguide on the hydro, I did not care for it much. At first I thought it was quiet until I turned around and drove up hill. That thing was just plain loud. I then drove a L3800 gear drive I must say that tractor was very quiet. If the gear tractor runs that quiet after warm up, I would be very happy with it. Very little trans noise if any at all. This thing has what they call Live-continous pto. What is live continuous pto? My current tractor has independent pto. What is the difference between the two? Again, thank you all for your help.
The live continuous pto has a 2 stage clutch. When you push the clutch half way down you disengage the transmission for the wheels, but the PTO is still running and will do so until you depress the clutch all the way. Handy with applications like mowing etc. With non-live-continious pto when you depress the clutch you disengage everything, wheels, pto everything.

Hope that helps and glad you like the gears, their not as popular as HST but I prefer them.
Best of luck.

Iguide

TripleR

Equipment
BX2200, BX2660, L5740 HSTC, M8540HDC and some other tractors and equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
I use gears and HST; both have their place.

Iguide

Lifetime Member

Equipment
The live/independent pto has nothing to do with the clutch.
So much for listening to salesmen. That goes to show I know just barely know enough to be dangerous and not enough to know what I'm talking about.

Bulldog could you please explain "The live/independent pto"? Since I obvious don't know what it is I would like to know what it is.

Thanks
Iguide

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I know it's not just limited to these models but I'm going to use them for an example.

L 2600 - single stage clutch, pto stops when clutch is pushed in

L 3000 - dual stage clutch, one stage for shifting and one for pto, this gives you "live" pto and allows you to stop and shift without stopping the pto.

M 9000 - has "live" hyd independant pto. This stands alone from the tranny and the clutch has no affect on it. This type can be operated anytime no matter what is going on with the clutch or tranny.

I know it's alot more complicated than that but I hope this makes some since.