B7100 Loader hydraulic issue

Shane H

Equipment
Kubota B7100
Aug 7, 2021
Townsville
Hi All
I just bought a bit of a beast its an old B7100 with the loader attachment on the front.
The tractor had been sitting for a number of months and previous maintenance was
nearly non existent. I had to top up the transmission fluid to get the rear three link
working and it works fine. Problem is the front hydraulics for the loader do not work
at all. I'm thinking the pump must be working ok to lift the rear but obviously an issue
at the front. Not know much about tractors any pointers on what I should be checking?
Thanks for any help.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Hi All
I just bought a bit of a beast its an old B7100 with the loader attachment on the front.
The tractor had been sitting for a number of months and previous maintenance was
nearly non existent. I had to top up the transmission fluid to get the rear three link
working and it works fine. Problem is the front hydraulics for the loader do not work
at all. I'm thinking the pump must be working ok to lift the rear but obviously an issue
at the front. Not know much about tractors any pointers on what I should be checking?
Thanks for any help.
Not sure about the B7100 but on the B7200 there is a selector valve on the hydraulic outlet for the loader. If it is in the wrong position you will get that behavior.

Dan

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
Your tractor may have a pump driven from the front of the engine crankshaft to only serve the loader.

With this arrangement oil for the loader will be stored in the loader frame.

See if there is a pump.

Dave

Shane H

Equipment
Kubota B7100
Aug 7, 2021
Townsville
Not sure about the B7100 but on the B7200 there is a selector valve on the hydraulic outlet for the loader. If it is in the wrong position you will get that behavior.

Dan
There is a oblong handle just under the front of the seat which I assume is the selector valve. I have
tried the two positions and the rear works in one. Nothing where I believe the handle should be for
the front hydraulics. In saying that I still may be doing something wrong as this is my first tractor.
Its all a bit of a learning experience. Am I right in ruling out the pump as being defective?

Dave all the hoses run to the one pump.

Thanks guys.

kubotasam

Equipment
B2410, B7100dt, B7500,Woods BH750,Landpride 2660RFM, Tiller, B2781 Snowblower
Apr 26, 2010
Alfred Maine
There is a oblong handle just under the front of the seat which I assume is the selector valve. I have
tried the two positions and the rear works in one. Nothing where I believe the handle should be for
the front hydraulics. In saying that I still may be doing something wrong as this is my first tractor.
Its all a bit of a learning experience. Am I right in ruling out the pump as being defective?

Dave all the hoses run to the one pump.

Thanks guys.
If the loader hydraulics were controlled by the selector under the front of the seat, you would have a hydraulic hose connected to the right side of the casting that the oblong handle comes out of. I had a B7100 with the loader set up that way. Turn handle one way and the 3 point hitch would work. Turn the handle the other way and tie the 3 point control in the raise position and the loader would work.

Shane H

Equipment
Kubota B7100
Aug 7, 2021
Townsville
If the loader hydraulics were controlled by the selector under the front of the seat, you would have a hydraulic hose connected to the right side of the casting that the oblong handle comes out of. I had a B7100 with the loader set up that way. Turn handle one way and the 3 point hitch would work. Turn the handle the other way and tie the 3 point control in the raise position and the loader would work.
I could definitely be operating the controls in the wrong positions. Hopefully I am, I ll try again
later today and also take pictures of where the hoses are going.

Thanks.

Shane H

Equipment
Kubota B7100
Aug 7, 2021
Townsville
You were correct I simply had the levers in the wrong positions to operate the front hydraulics.
The two rams have a leak from the seals apart from that it all works fine.

Thanks for the help all.

rScotty

Equipment
Kubota M59, JD530, Deere 310SG
Aug 19, 2010
Colorado Mountains
You were correct I simply had the levers in the wrong positions to operate the front hydraulics.
The two rams have a leak from the seals apart from that it all works fine.

Thanks for the help all.
Yes, that hydraulic selector switch to choose either 3pt or loader was a common inexpensive way to get both functions while spending minimum money. You will see it on lots of older tractors.

Normally that tractor only had a 3pt hitch, and when the hitch wasn't actively lifting a load the hydraulic flow was simply returned to the sump. With a selector switch turned diverted the return circuit from the 3pt hitch system and sent it to the loader control valve. After the hydraulic fluid did whatever work the FEL control valve called for, the extra flow was returned to the sump.

There are other ways to control the flow so that both FEL and 3pt hitch can work at the same time...but the simplest ones make both systems slow and inefficient. If you want full power and speed from the hydraulics, the best solution back in the day and today is a dedicated hydraulic pump and reservoir for the FEL. The most common pump mounting was via a drive coupling the pump to the front pulley on the engne. The FEL sump was commonly one of the legs of the loader frame.
If you look around you can probably find a 7100 set u p that way. It was pretty common.
rScotty

Reactions: 1 user