L 3400 fuel shut off solenoid

tonypresti

Equipment
L 3400, B7100 HST and a BX 2680
Feb 19, 2021
We have just gone through and ice storm and days below freezing. My 2004 L 3400 will not start which is a first in 25 years of Ohio winters. I suspect my fuel control solenoid is stuck with ice. My question is where is it located so I can try to thaw it carefully with a heat gun? Thanks to all for any help.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
Here is the solenoid and where it is located.
L3400 solenoid.jpg

forum L3400 solenoid 1.jpg

If you suspect the solenoid, (which is an unlikely failure), remove it briefly. Remember then you cannot stop the engine with the key!

I think you will be more productive on checking out the fuel filter for water and ice.

When did you buy the diesel fuel you are currently using?

The only free WSM for an L3400 is from Scotland and may not represent the safety controls your tractor has concerning the stop solenoid.

From looking at other tractor models the same part fits, I believe the stop solenoid on your engine has two internal coils. a Pull in coil to actually move the plunger and a hold coil to keep it retracted once moved by the pull in coil.

Before removing the actual solenoid I suggest you check for power at the solenoid electrical terminal. Unplug the connector from the solenoid and check for power on the wiring harness connecor using a test light in both the ON and the START positions of the key switch.

Test light.jpg

Dave

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

thomasnchy

Jan 29, 2016
Cheyenne, Woming
As stated before. Your fuel solenoid is the least likely culprit. If you hear a "click" at the solenoid, chances are that it is working.
Gelled fuel is more likely.

tonypresti

Equipment
Feb 19, 2021
As stated before. Your fuel solenoid is the least likely culprit. If you hear a "click" at the solenoid, chances are that it is working.
Gelled fuel is more likely.
Thanks Dave but the solenoid does not click which is why I suspect it is the problem. I was thinking it may be stuck by being iced from the rain and ice storm we just had. I also saw the parts diagram online but still can't locate it. I will try again soon.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I think on that model the solenoid only engages for a short period of time when you shut the tractor off?

tonypresti

Equipment
Feb 19, 2021
It won't be ice per say, It will be more of a slushy .
Well no ice, slush or water in the fuel bowl. I cleaned it and replaced the bowl. Clear clean fuel then filled the bowl. Pre-heated and cranked but still did not fire I'll put a multimeter on the solenoid to check for current then get back to you. Thanks Wolfman