Kubota B2320 3 point inoperable

Sslaughter1081

Equipment
Kubota B2320
Jan 22, 2021
Florida
I have a 2012 Kubota 2320 which I got used. The 3 point hitch does not work. I have a front loader on it which is fully functional. I had to replace both hydraulic lines running from the reservoir to the pump, the filter and the fluid m. The control lever is locked in place. I have turned the speed control below the seat to open and turned the steering wheel right to left while pulling the lever back and forth still nothing. I’ve sprayed blaster directly into the stub coming out of the gear and it’s still locked.
2AFA1919-831A-4BD4-B786-6D1AE3F8A89D.jpeg

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
Did the 3 point lift work when you bought the tractor?

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
You do hear some noise when the lever is activated?

The lever seems frozen in-place, and not movable?

Or both?

Do you have a Workshop Manual (WSM)? I tried here Kubota Tractor User Manuals Download | ManualsLib and here Index of Kubotabooks/Tractor Owners Manuals/ and didn't see a free version of the WSM for a B2x20 (B2320, 2620, 2920, I think) series tractor.

Also, sometimes a parts diagram can be helpful. If you haven't found them yet, they can be had here: Kubota Tractor Corporation - Illustrated Parts List (kubotausa.com)

You might want to start with a WSM from dealer or online.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
...The control lever is locked in place. I have turned the speed control below the seat to open and turned the steering wheel right to left while pulling the lever back and forth still nothing. I’ve sprayed blaster directly into the stub coming out of the gear and it’s still locked.
Just to clarify, you are saying that the lever does not move when you are trying to move it by pulling back and forth, right?

Can you remove the linkage from the shaft that goes into the tractor housing and verify that the issue is not with the linkage itself, and indeed a problem within the tractor case itself?

Not sure if these thoughts are very helpful. Just what I would probably do to isolate the issue as one that is internal rather than external.

Since your loader works it sounds like the 3PH is stuck in the center position, and letting hydraulic oil flow in the normal manner to other devices downstream.

Sslaughter1081

Equipment
Kubota B2320
Jan 22, 2021
Florida
Yes, the lever is stuck. I have not tried the linkage yet, which I haven’t located that. The tractor originally was bought with the box blade which was kept on it until it was sold and before removing the box blade it was stuck in the down position.

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
Just to clarify, you are saying that the lever does not move when you are trying to move it by pulling back and forth, right?

Can you remove the linkage from the shaft that goes into the tractor housing and verify that the issue is not with the linkage itself, and indeed a problem within the tractor case itself?

Not sure if these thoughts are very helpful. Just what I would probably do to isolate the issue as one that is internal rather than external.

Since your loader works it sounds like the 3PH is stuck in the center position, and letting hydraulic oil flow in the normal manner to other devices downstream.
The 3PT is the last device in the flow path.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
The 3PT is the last device in the flow path.
Shows what I know! 😀

I remembered reading the 3PH had priority, so imagined if it were activated everything downstream would only get partial flow until the 3PH lever was centered again. Because some flow was diverted to move the 3PH cylinder.

In any case, if the 3PH control valve was not centered and introducing a restriction, what would the effect be? Increased hydraulic pressure and heat generated across the restriction for a given engine RPM, until the RPM was increased to the point where the PRV tripped?

Regardless of the direction of flow, if there were a restriction in the hydraulic loop, if the OP has good hearing, might he run the engine up to full RPM and listen to see if the PRV trips? Should not trip if conditions are normal, right?

But in the end, perhaps none of this matters other than for intellectual curiosity. But if the PRV trips with nothing being activated this would likely point towards something other than a linkage issue being the root problem.

Seems like either the linkage is jammed somehow or the shaft the linkage tries to rotate is frozen, for reasons to be determined...

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, RCK54P MMM, BB1548 Box Scraper, Quick Hitch, Piranha Bar, BX6315
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
Is it possible that there is a lever lock device that someone installed to keep the 3pt lever from moving without unlocking it?

Did you try asking the previous owner about the 3pt to see if it worked for him? You mentioned that there was a box blade on it before you bought it. They had to get that off somehow and to me that would suggest that the 3pt was working at least until you bought it.

There is one more possible place to look. does your tractor have an adjusting knob for a MMM? If it does, look to see that the knob is set to "0". If it is set to any other number, the 3pt will not go down to the lowest position.

Last edited:

Sslaughter1081

Equipment
Kubota B2320
Jan 22, 2021
Florida
You do hear some noise when the lever is activated?

The lever seems frozen in-place, and not movable?

Or both?

Do you have a Workshop Manual (WSM)? I tried here Kubota Tractor User Manuals Download | ManualsLib and here Index of Kubotabooks/Tractor Owners Manuals/ and didn't see a free version of the WSM for a B2x20 (B2320, 2620, 2920, I think) series tractor.

Also, sometimes a parts diagram can be helpful. If you haven't found them yet, they can be had here: Kubota Tractor Corporation - Illustrated Parts List (kubotausa.com)

You might want to start with a WSM from dealer or online.
I do not hear any noise when I pull the lever.
Is it possible that there is a lever lock device that someone installed to keep the 3pt lever from moving without unlocking it?

Did you try asking the previous owner about the 3pt to see if it worked for him? You mentioned that there was a box blade on it before you bought it. They had to get that off somehow and to me that would suggest that the 3pt was working at least until you bought it.

There is one more possible place to look. does your tractor have an adjusting knob for a MMM? If it does, look to see that the knob is set to "0". If it is set to any other number, the 3pt will not go down to the lowest position.
Hey thank you for your response. So the previous owner has passed away. I did find out that he had let it sit for awhile.. enough to let the battery die and tires flatten. They had to unhook the box blade and drive it off. Also there is no apparent lock on it.. I’m going to try and download a WSM

Sslaughter1081

Equipment
Kubota B2320
Jan 22, 2021
Florida
There is a free copy of the operator manual for your tractor online. Go to this link and look for your model The list is alpha-numeric so you should be able to scroll to your manual.

Thank you.. I’ve been studying that manual and haven’t found any answers.. but Colemanequipment.com has some parts catalog and I have found that the control assy valve is an easy part to take off.. so I’m going to try and remove it to see if it’s defective. Hopefully I can get it working..

Attachments

Reactions: 1 user

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
be really, REALLY careful getting the knob off that shaft !!!! I broke mine as it doesn't pull off(like all the others) and doesn't unscrew either !!!! It's kinda 'keyed onto the shaft ' using that roll pin. I'm thinking IF you can push and rotate the know then unrotate ,it 'should' slide off. Please post HOW you get your off.
I'm waiting for warm weather to replumb the fuel line AND install the knob(plus busted parts...)

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Slaughter- to me, it does sound like something at the 3PH lever, etc., if you’re not hearing noises from it’s activation. I think you’re heading in the right direction.

If you have to buy one, I would get a real WSM.. it will help much more than the Ops Manual, and will be a good addition to the parts diagrams.

Otherwise, you may be guessing along the way., and may get into parts of the tractor you don’t need to. It may also help avoid buying parts you don’t need.

SRRGC1

Equipment
BX1870-1, BX23S TLB, RTV XG850, MX5100DT
Jan 6, 2021
Bloomsburg

I believe I am correct, but your knob you are referring to will only control your MMM lowering/lifting bars and not your 3 pt. Example, you can lock your MMM in the "top" or any position for that matter and still have use of the 3 pt for rear implement, rear blade, etc.. I would suggest the position of this knob does not affect the 3 pt presuming nothing internal is faulty and operating correctly. Am sure the "B" series is the same as the BX's.

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, RCK54P MMM, BB1548 Box Scraper, Quick Hitch, Piranha Bar, BX6315
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
I believe I am correct, but your knob you are referring to will only control your MMM lowering/lifting bars and not your 3 pt. Example, you can lock your MMM in the "top" or any position for that matter and still have use of the 3 pt for rear implement, rear blade, etc.. I would suggest the position of this knob does not affect the 3 pt presuming nothing internal is faulty and operating correctly. Am sure the "B" series is the same as the BX's.
I believe you are correct. I wrote that backwards. When I chain my 3 point into a position that is anything higher than the bottom of its travel, the MMM will not go down to its lowest position.

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
Ok. Can you physically lift up on the 3pt hitch arms? IE can you lift them by hand? If not, spray some penetrating oil between the lift arms and the rear of the tractor (and all other 3pt connections). A good whack from a hammer may help as well.

Take a look at this diagram. Can you turn the 3pt lowering speed knob counter clockwise? This would be the image at the bottom. These things do freeze up (as in rust) if they aren't used often enough. Lots of penetrating oil if it doesn't budge. Be careful working this knob.

If the knob turns, turn it full counter clockwise and try lowering the 3 pt hitch with the engine off. You can stand on one of the lift arms to help assist gravity. These lift arms only provide hydraulic force in the up position. The down position only uses gravity (and whatever weight/implement) is attached to it.

3pt hitch lowering limit.JPG

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I believe I am correct, but your knob you are referring to will only control your MMM lowering/lifting bars and not your 3 pt.
I believe you are correct.
Sorry, I think you're both wrong.

The OP's question is the 3PH doesn't raise/lower, not that the MMM doesn't raise/lower.

While I do not have a B2320, I believe that the 3PH does in fact lift/lower the MMM also. Same applies to a BX.

A MMM can be "locked" up in different fashions between a B and BX, but it still allows full-range of movement of the 3PH.

Without 3PH movement, a MMM doesn't go up/down either.

Last edited:

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
IOk. Can you physically lift up on the 3pt hitch arms?
dirty - - you have a B...is it possible the position control stop at the lever could make the lever seem "frozen" as Slaughter mentions?

I see the stops on tractors' consoles, but wondering it can hinder/block/lock-out lever movement?

Last time I drove a tractor with position control was almost 50 years ago......my 'Moline doesn't have 3PH.... :oops:

Last edited: