Skid steer auger

Spidermonkey11

Equipment
L4060
Jan 17, 2021
Charlotte
New guy here, can someone tell me if I can run a skid steer auger on my L4060 with a L2265 3rd valve? I want to make sure that I won’t overheat the hydraulics on the tractor.

thanks!

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
New guy here, can someone tell me if I can run a skid steer auger on my L4060 with a L2265 3rd valve? I want to make sure that I won’t overheat the hydraulics on the tractor.

thanks!
Are you thinking about buying or renting? Skid steers almost always have higher flow pumps than our tractors. Weight could be an issue. But if you are buying, you can match the drive to your tractor. Overheating shouldn't be a problem since it would be intermittent duty.

Spidermonkey11

Equipment
L4060
Jan 17, 2021
Charlotte
Are you thinking about buying or renting? Skid steers almost always have higher flow pumps than our tractors. Weight could be an issue. But if you are buying, you can match the drive to your tractor. Overheating shouldn't be a problem since it would be intermittent duty.
Just looking to rent one for a weekend

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
Does anyone know what the hydraulic gpm is on the setup on my tractor?
According to the WSM, 9 to 9.5 GPM. (I was just looking it up.) You can search on this forum for 'auger' or 'drilling' to see what others have and are doing. BTW, LandPride (Kubota) makes a front auger. Also BTW, you can download the WSM at www.kubotabooks.com. It covers several models.

UpNorthMI

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200, L3901, MX5800, SVL75-2, KX040
May 12, 2020
Up North, MI
Does anyone know what the gpm is on the

Thanks for the help!
Skid Steer will be running 15-17GPM from a large reservoir and is made to run attachments on the front arms. Hi flow models are 30 - 45 GPM.

Tractor is not made to run constant flow hydraulic attachments in the same way, my view is you will struggle with skid steer auger. Tractors use rear PTO post hole diggers very effectively, this is what you need for your task.

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
Skid Steer will be running 15-17GPM from a large reservoir and is made to run attachments on the front arms. Hi flow models are 30 - 45 GPM.

Tractor is not made to run constant flow hydraulic attachments in the same way, my view is you will struggle with skid steer auger. Tractors use rear PTO post hole diggers very effectively, this is what you need for your task.
Isn't a hydro drive a "constant flow" application? Drive a few miles down the road....

I have well over 1000 holes drilled in nasty NH ground with a smaller tractor with lower output.
Having owned both auger types and I would never recommend a 3pt auger.

At the same time there are hundreds of hydraulic augers/models out there and the recommended flow rate/pressure of that will be the important number to accommodate.

Sidewalk.jpg

Reactions: 1 user

aaluck

Equipment
L4400HST, Bush Hog 276, RDTH60, Speeco PHD, etc
Oct 9, 2019
Snowdoun, AL
I have well over 1000 holes drilled in nasty NH ground with a smaller tractor with lower output.
Man you are killing it with those holes! Every photo has you in a new location. The fence business must be booming despite lumber prices.

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
Man you are killing it with those holes! Every photo has you in a new location. The fence business must be booming despite lumber prices.
This was actually a month ago. It was a DIGSafe minefield.

• Wow