How much control do you have on your 3 point hitch on a BX2380 ?

TheKubotaKing

Equipment
Kubota BX2380, with standard front loader, and LandPride rear blade ( 60 inch )
Nov 2, 2020
United States
I everyone,
something that is really confusing to me .... it's my understanding that the rear 3 point hitch isn't hydraulic but is hooked into the engine's transmission system on the BX2380. That said, how much control do you have raising and lowering it ? If you have a rear blade attached, and it's in the maximum upper position, can you use the lever to drop it by the amount you want ? ... for example just a few inches down ? .. or when you move the lever, the hitch will drop 100% to its lowest point ( I know it's gravity that accomplishes this ) I guess my question is can you control it much at all ? ... can I lift it by 2 inches ? or 3 inches ? or does hitting the lever just bring it up to 100% maximum height ? Thanks for any info, and sorry if this is a silly question, but I am a newbie. :p

wgator

Equipment
L4701HST, FEL and other stuff.
Jul 28, 2018
NC
I noticed you have a couple of threads going asking questions about BX2380 operation that you have on order. I would suggest you download and read the operators manual BY CLICKING HERE . It will answer your questions.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user

Vidiot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2680 & several implements
Apr 28, 2017
Purcellville, VA, USA
My BX2680 is the same as yours I believe. What we have is called a "quarter inching valve" meaning if you bump the lever a little it will lower by a quarter inch. In my experience it's a bit more than that but still a small amount by just bumping the lever. Press the lever all the down and it'll drop to the ground. As far as how fast it drops, that's controlled by the dial directly under the operator in the center if I recall. The other knob to the left of that controls mid mount mower height.

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, RCK54P MMM, BB1548 Box Scraper, Quick Hitch, Piranha Bar, BX6315
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
I everyone,
something that is really confusing to me .... it's my understanding that the rear 3 point hitch isn't hydraulic but is hooked into the engine's transmission system on the BX2380. That said, how much control do you have raising and lowering it ? If you have a rear blade attached, and it's in the maximum upper position, can you use the lever to drop it by the amount you want ? ... for example just a few inches down ? .. or when you move the lever, the hitch will drop 100% to its lowest point ( I know it's gravity that accomplishes this ) I guess my question is can you control it much at all ? ... can I lift it by 2 inches ? or 3 inches ? or does hitting the lever just bring it up to 100% maximum height ? Thanks for any info, and sorry if this is a silly question, but I am a newbie. :p
Actually, the 3 point is hydraulic. The hydraulic reservoir is the same as for the transmission and FEL. Your tractor has what is called a 1/4 inching valve. By bumping the control lever momentarily and releasing it you can control the 3 point up or down 1/4" at a time.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
I everyone,
The lift is hydraulic but utilizes a so-called quarter inching valve rather than a position control system.

It sounds like you understand neither, so rersearch is in order. The previous suggestion regarding the owner's manual is good advise.

SDT

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
AS all have mentioned -

1/4" ing ..... and it basically sucks......

There is nothing nice about it - most "farmers" will NOT even consider a controller that is not position controlled - I.E. - stick it at a spot and it stops there at that position.

There are some ways to get around the impreciseness of 1/4"ing..... a chain can be placed to allow the implement to hang at a certain spot, like to set the rotary at a certain point, or maybe even a rear blade.

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
The chain method that 85Hokie mentions is like this picture.
50152-0c739ad1dcde83725eb53245335c3750.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
My only comment is... It ain't a farm tractor in the first place...... :p

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
My only comment is... It ain't a farm tractor in the first place...... :p
Although it is not a farm tractor it has done everything that my 5 acre property needs done. That is including my wife's 1/2 acre garden. It does remarkably well for what it is.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Although it is not a farm tractor it has done everything that my 5 acre property needs done. That is including my wife's 1/2 acre garden. It does remarkably well for what it is.
I'm sure it does and every time I make a comment concerning size, someone takes it wrong. What I own and what you own are 2 entirely different tractors for entirely different uses.

Like tilling a garden. I don't believe I've ever seen a tiller that large and even if there was one, I'd never be able to till a garden with mine because I would not be able to turn it in a garden space., or mow a lawn (I'd tear up a lawn with the bar tread tires).

Conversely, your tractor won't pull and power a disc bine or run a round baler making 1200 pound bales. I'm sure it would run my rotary rake but it probably wouldn't be a good experience. Don't think your 3 point could carry my 250 gallon3 point mounted sprayer either. Might power the pump but carry it with a full load, no way. Different animals. Both Orange however, well, mine are faded to Mary Kay pink....

leveraddict

Equipment
2017 BX23S 60" LP BoxBlade 54" mower 60" BackBlade EA 12" 1 bottom plow & Forks
Apr 1, 2019
NEPA
On my BX I have found the quarter inching valve to work much better with the engine at idle. If your tractors back blade is all the way down and engine is at IDLE you can bump the lever and release it quickly to raise it . As a matter of fact I can count how many times I bump the lever and get it in the same spot every time going up or down! NOW this is nothing like position controll on a larger ag tractor and I really dont care as I dont plow fields or use an implement where position controll is important!

• Love

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
re: My only comment is... It ain't a farm tractor in the first place.

then neither is the Ford 9N-2N series, based on the 3 point system,yet millions of farmers used/use them since WWII.
I still have my 3PT kit in the box after 2 years as the BH keeps getting used. Was going to use in the wife's garden next year but sold the property. Actually no personal need for the Kub now...
While not in the same 'class' as my A-C D-14s, the BX23s has surprised me how versatile and nimble it is.If I want to quickly plow or till or carry 3200# logs, that's the D-14s job. The right tool for the right job....

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
re: My only comment is... It ain't a farm tractor in the first place.

then neither is the Ford 9N-2N series, based on the 3 point system,yet millions of farmers used/use them since WWII.
I still have my 3PT kit in the box after 2 years as the BH keeps getting used. Was going to use in the wife's garden next year but sold the property. Actually no personal need for the Kub now...
While not in the same 'class' as my A-C D-14s, the BX23s has surprised me how versatile and nimble it is.If I want to quickly plow or till or carry 3200# logs, that's the D-14s job. The right tool for the right job....
That is because position control was not innovated until the 1948 model Ford 8N.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
I have a BX and B. The B has position control. The BX does not.

I just put the implement on the BX where I want it and basically do the same with the B.

Personally, I do not see the difference as being a big deal. Of course this is only after 16 years of using both tractors as needed.

Maybe this is just me...;)

Of course I am not a farmer...I don't disagree that farmers are the smarter when using tractors!

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
I'm sure it does and every time I make a comment concerning size, someone takes it wrong. What I own and what you own are 2 entirely different tractors for entirely different uses.

Like tilling a garden. I don't believe I've ever seen a tiller that large and even if there was one, I'd never be able to till a garden with mine because I would not be able to turn it in a garden space., or mow a lawn (I'd tear up a lawn with the bar tread tires).

Conversely, your tractor won't pull and power a disc bine or run a round baler making 1200 pound bales. I'm sure it would run my rotary rake but it probably wouldn't be a good experience. Don't think your 3 point could carry my 250 gallon3 point mounted sprayer either. Might power the pump but carry it with a full load, no way. Different animals. Both Orange however, well, mine are faded to Mary Kay pink....
SidecarFlip, That comment I made was not directed to you. It was a general comment that anyone considering buying a BX tractor that it does remarkable things and should not be discounted as a capable machine, within it's limits.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Of course I am not a farmer...I don't disagree that farmers are the smarter when using tractors!
Don't know about smarter, just use bigger tools. Lot of farmers I know aren't what I consider bright bulbs.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Really the BX series are good LITTLE,, see I said LITTL tractors and yes they are tractors just smaller. The chain method while a PIA, works well enough for anything you need/can to do with a BX.
This might give you some ideas

random

Equipment
L3301, bucket, backhoe, grader, plow, harrow, cultivator
Nov 2, 2020
NC
Just for my own education:

So this tractor doesn't have a lever that controls the position? I realize they're different, just trying to understand that difference: my 3301 has a lever with a bunch of numbers, I can position that lever for various heights. From what I'm reading, this 2380 doesn't have something like that - the control is just "up" or "down", and a "bump" moves it just a little?

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Just for my own education:

So this tractor doesn't have a lever that controls the position? I realize they're different, just trying to understand that difference: my 3301 has a lever with a bunch of numbers, I can position that lever for various heights. From what I'm reading, this 2380 doesn't have something like that - the control is just "up" or "down", and a "bump" moves it just a little?

You hit the preverbal nail on the head .....

The position control (numbers) is set it and forget it....
the other (1/4" is bump, bump again - turn around bump again...... move the implement up, and start over to find the sweet spot.