Steering box fill plug removal.

South

Equipment
L245DT
Feb 22, 2011
ohio
Cant get the plug out! :mad: I got a socket on it and got it to rotate a couple times, then after that nothing. The top of the plug started to round, so I put a wrench on it and cant get it to budge, even with a extension on the wrench. Sprayed it down with some PB blaster and let it sit overnight, still wont budge. Looks like the previous owner put teflon tape on the threads (or maybe locktite). Any advice/tips for getting this thing out with out destroying it.

Thanks

Stumpy

Equipment
L175
Dec 1, 2011
NE Ohio
It sounds to me like you may have stripped it when you make the first few turns. I'd tell you to heat the case but I believe the rubber seals and the gasket in the area would take offense to that. If you removing the column tube and flange and remove the access plate and it's gasket you can probably heat the case as long as you keep the seal on the other end of the sector shaft cool. If he did use loctite you might try heating just the plug but that will also cause the plug to expand, locking it in tighter. If you drill it out you'll have to take it apart anyway to clean out the swarf. I'm not sure you're getting out of this one easily.

B7100

Equipment
B7100,B7100 with Backhoe and FEL, Goldoni Quad 20
Feb 11, 2010
Wales
Cant get the plug out! :mad: I got a socket on it and got it to rotate a couple times, then after that nothing. The top of the plug started to round, so I put a wrench on it and cant get it to budge, even with a extension on the wrench. Sprayed it down with some PB blaster and let it sit overnight, still wont budge. Looks like the previous owner put teflon tape on the threads (or maybe locktite). Any advice/tips for getting this thing out with out destroying it.

Thanks
A close up photo of the offending plug would be a help.
dave

Orange Tractors

Equipment
L175 w/Woods L59, Allis Chalmers WD
Jul 19, 2009
Butler, MO
Try working it both ways, since you did get it to move originally. If you can get it to move at all keep pouring penetrating fluid on it, and maybe tap the end a little bit with a light hammer; not enough to deform the head, even though it sounds like the plug needs replaced now.

I don't think heating it with a propane torch would bother the gasket, it is sandwiched between two pices of cast iron.

The rubber seal is a different story, but you might be in luck there. I remember a post about steering boxes on the later L245's that had the seal positioned higher in the tube. Where the serial number break is, I have no idea, I didn't pay that much attention since I don't have an L245.