L235 4wd ?

lreops

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3400DT W/ LA463 FEL and L235DT W/ BF400 Loader
Dec 26, 2011
Rising Sun, Maryland

I have this problem posted in another thread generally about the same thing but with no responses so thinking that it may be overlooked, I'll start my own. :D

I just acquired a L235 with a BF400 FEL. It is need of a little TLC of little odds and ends here and there, but basically, it is what, appears to be sound both mechanically and hydraulically wise. Except for the fact that I think I may have some kind of problem with the 4WD. With the soggy ground we have here in the East, plus turf tires on my tractor, traction can be tricky. My first attempt left me at the bottom of a relatively small slope at the bottom of my yard. Seemed like no help from the front axle at all. Jacked the tractor in the air and tried the 4WD to see what was going on. Engaged the front axle several times and seemed to be working as it should. Went back out, and again, it seemed like there was nothing happening different with going in and out of the 4WD mode.

This being my first tractor, am I wrong to assume that when in 4WD drive, that any slippage should be able to occur with any of the wheels (of course with the Diff engaged). The rear wheels will slip but there is no indication at all that the front wheels have any kind of torque going to them.

Any suggestions or clues to this, or are my assumptions of this little tractor set to high?

Thanks
Ron

A few days later I added this;

Ok, I've done some more investigating on my situation and have discovered that when jacked up and the front axle is engaged, the only time the wheels are actually in gear is when the steering has the wheels in a hard left or right forward turn. If you were to hold the left wheel in a left turn and rotate the wheel slightly, it will engage. Move it away from that position and it is no longer engaged. The same is true for the right side repeating the same process.

Obviously, there is gear chewed up or spun or something that needs to be replaced. Just need a little guidance as to what or where I need to expect it to be, keeping in mind the symptoms of only engaging when the wheels are fully to the left or right.

Thanks all

Ron

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Turf tires just have very little traction and in damp spot's especially on slops they are pretty much useless. A decent set of tires to use with optimal traction and little turf wear are a set of R4 industrail tires. I can not answer your question about you getting the axel to work when the wheel is turned, for that I have no idea. Could be a thing like on a 4x4 truck, the wheels spin a little faster on turns then they do in a straight line. Did you give your tractor some throttle when you had the front end off the ground?

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Wouldent it be a tad bit easier to put the tractor up on jack stands, get the tires off the ground, engage the 4x4 and mash on the gas pedal and see what happens?!?!

MagKarl

Equipment
L245DT
Aug 2, 2010
Olympia, WA
Are the front tires spinning? You should be able to figure it out pretty easily. Put the tractor in 4wd. Then jack up one front tire and see if you can rotate that tire by hand while the other 3 are sitting on the ground. It should be locked in. Then repeat for the other side.

lreops

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 26, 2011
Rising Sun, Maryland
Today 08:28 PM
Eric McCarthy
Re: L235 4wd ?
Wouldent it be a tad bit easier to put the tractor up on jack stands, get the tires off the ground, engage the 4x4 and mash on the gas pedal and see what happens?!?!

Today 10:41 PM
MagKarl
Re: L235 4wd ?
Are the front tires spinning? You should be able to figure it out pretty easily. Put the tractor in 4wd. Then jack up one front tire and see if you can rotate that tire by hand while the other 3 are sitting on the ground. It should be locked in. Then repeat for the other side.

After rereading what I wrote, I believe that I pretty much already did what you suggested :confused: :rolleyes:

I guess, Thanks anyway

Ron

MagKarl

Equipment
L245DT
Aug 2, 2010
Olympia, WA
It's time for you to visit your local dealer or Messicks online and order a set of manuals and start taking things apart.

Hook

Equipment
L3240 with LA514 FEL, Box Blade, Howard Rotovator, All Purpose Plow, Sub Soiler
Jul 6, 2010
Jackson, Georgia
Engage the 4wd and make a tight turn on pavement. If the system is working you should feel the tractor binding or scuffing. If you do this on a concrete surface you will see the scuff marks left by the front wheels. If you have ever made a tight turn in a 4wd pickup on pavement you will know what the sensation feels like.

lreops

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 26, 2011
Rising Sun, Maryland
It's time for you to visit your local dealer or Messicks online and order a set of manuals and start taking things apart.
I already have all the manuals. The Owner/Operators manual, Service manual, and the Parts manual. What I am trying to establish is where I might start looking. Where do you all think the problem might be or which should I suspect first, second, etc. The Differential, in the Bevel Gear Case, Axle Case, Drive Case or the Propeller Shaft

Thanks to all that have offered suggestions and all of those that might be willing to share more.

Ron

akghound

Equipment
L275 Kubota Tractor
Dec 29, 2011
Montana City, Montana
Greetings Ron
With tractor in gear,4X4 engaged, engine off, raise one front tire off the ground. By hand try to rotate it, give a good try, it should not turn. If it does most likely you have front end problems. Now lift both front tires off the ground and rotate one. Does the other side turn in the opposite direction, if so your front end is probably ok and the trouble is between the transmimmion and diff.
Hope this helps get you headed in the right direction.
Ken Gardner

lreops

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 26, 2011
Rising Sun, Maryland

First off, a real big Thank You to Ken (AKA Akghound) because one of his suggestions got right to where I needed to be.

As noted in my previous steps in diagnoses, when I was checking the front end, I was just raising it with the bucket. As a result, not much pressure was needed to pivot the axle up and down and back and forth. Therefore, the problem was not easily noticed. But Ken offered the suggestion to just raise one side at a time and, WaaLaa, now when checking the right side first I find that the Axle Case and Bevel Gear Case are all but just hanging off the Axle Housing. Because the top end of the Bevel Gear Case was all but destroyed, the whole works were hanging with all the weight outward making it unnoticeable with both sides in the air. As per Ken's illustration of the case, Top bearing was disintegrated, one of the center bearings had nothing left but the outer ring, oil seal, collar, and large snap ring destroyed. Ordered parts Monday (just under $100.00), got them Friday, put together today and am now back in business with the 4WD.

Again, Thank you Ken.

Ron