Brush hogging

Rdbota

Equipment
l3560
Jun 10, 2020
Va
Just picked up a new l3560hstc and 1860 brush hog. Was doing some cutting yesterday and hit a stump and it stalled the tractor. At first I didn't know what had happened. I was mowing at the reccomended 540 rpm range. I'm kinda new to the tractor scene but I thought for sure there was some type of safety clutch or shear bolt to prevent this from happening as it can't be good for the tractor.

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
I believe the 1860 has slip clutch on the mower (I have the 1272). Did you/dealer slip the clutch (adjust) before using it? The clutch has to be properly set before you use it to cause it to slip.

PS-welcome to the forums.

Rdbota

Equipment
l3560
Jun 10, 2020
Va
No I haven't adjusted anything. I guess I assumed everything was done at the dealer. Guess I need to look at the book. Was to late to mess with lastnite. Didn't appear to have hurt anything. I just wouldn't think it would be good for the pto.

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
No I haven't adjusted anything. I guess I assumed everything was done at the dealer. Guess I need to look at the book. Was to late to mess with lastnite. Didn't appear to have hurt anything. I just wouldn't think it would be good for the pto.
I have killed mine a few times like that, even with it adjusted. No issues. The slip clutch will need to be adjusted after the mower has set for an extended period of time. I adjusted mine at the start of each mowing season and since I mow about every week with it, I don't worry about adjusting it again till the following Spring.

The process of adjusting is simple, accessing the bolts is a pain in the butt.

Rdbota

Equipment
l3560
Jun 10, 2020
Va
Ok thanks for the input. Looks like we have the same tractor as I have the 805 loader as well. Only have 7hrs on her but so far I love the tractor. Just scared me alittle yesterday lol

Reactions: 1 user

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
Ok thanks for the input. Looks like we have the same tractor as I have the 805 loader as well. Only have 7hrs on her but so far I love the tractor. Just scared me alittle yesterday lol
Yes we do. I just turned 154 hours last weekend on mine. My tractor is a little over a year old (got it last year on Memorial Day weekend). The tractor is nice and I believe you will be amazed with how much you can accomplish. This is the first tractor I have owned, so I still have a lot to learn myself.

Few pictures of mine. Since these pictures I have added the rear worklights and the 3rd function valve.

20190530_104904 (200 x 112).jpg

20190530_105032.jpg

Resized_20190608_100107.jpeg

Resized_20190824_150334.jpeg

Reactions: 1 user

Rdbota

Equipment
l3560
Jun 10, 2020
Va
Yes we do. I just turned 154 hours last weekend on mine. My tractor is a little over a year old (got it last year on Memorial Day weekend). The tractor is nice and I believe you will be amazed with how much you can accomplish. This is the first tractor I have owned, so I still have a lot to learn myself.

Few pictures of mine. Since these pictures I have added the rear worklights and the 3rd function valve.

View attachment 44121
View attachment 44122
View attachment 44123
View attachment 44124
This is my first tractor as well. Almost got the l3901hst but wasn't that much more by the the time a fiberglass top was added than for the comforts of a cab. I also just added the rear work lights and rear wiper. Gonna do the 3rd hydraulics for front and maybe the top n tilt kit with 3rd line next

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
Just picked up a new l3560hstc and 1860 brush hog. Was doing some cutting yesterday and hit a stump and it stalled the tractor. At first I didn't know what had happened. I was mowing at the reccomended 540 rpm range. I'm kinda new to the tractor scene but I thought for sure there was some type of safety clutch or shear bolt to prevent this from happening as it can't be good for the tractor.
The slip clutch on your mower is intended to reduce the possibility of tractor or mower damage when hard objects like stumps or rocks are hit. It is not intended to prevent stalling the tractor.

To function properly, the slip clutch must be adjusted to the HP of the tractor and the HP rating of the mower gearbox. Doing this properly is time consuming. I have NEVER known of ANY dealer that does this when selling equipment.

Additionally, slip clutches will sieze due to corrosion if not slipped periodically. If, as is almost certain, yours is adjusted too tightly, it will never slip and will sieze in short order. To prevent this, a slip clutch should be loosened and slipped at least once each season. Again, this is time consuming and very few owners do so.

There is much to be said for (proper) shear bolt protection aside from reduced cost.

SDT

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
This is my first tractor as well. Almost got the l3901hst but wasn't that much more by the the time a fiberglass top was added than for the comforts of a cab. I also just added the rear work lights and rear wiper. Gonna do the 3rd hydraulics for front and maybe the top n tilt kit with 3rd line next
I would really recommend the 3rd function and a grapple. I have been surprised by how much I have been able to accomplish with the grapple.