Front End Rotary Cutter

clh

May 14, 2020
Tennessee
I have a Kubota M5140 with 3 rear remote hydraulic connections installed by dealer. I want to purchase a front end rotary cutter which the hydraulics on the M5140 will handle (11 gpm). Two of the remotes are not used, and I used one pair for my grapple. I intended to use one of the other sets for the hydraulic cutter (trailblazer TB-flex cutter or similar). Manual says Do Not connect motor return to remotes. Does anyone know if there is a plug I can remove, add a quick connect, and allow the return line to go directly back to the sump?

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
I would like to suggest a couple of issues for your consideration.

Your tractor's hydraulics are an Open Center System. The flow goes from the pump to the loader valve and then the rear of the tractor.

If your plan is to support the front mounted cutter from your loader, expect the cutter to stop every time you adjust the loader as it will take priority of the flow before it gets to the back of the tractor and then returns to the front mounted cutter.

Often, tractor hydraulics cannot operate for long periods of time under constant load without over heating. This is the type of operation the cutter will require.

Look at the hydraulic power pack made by LandPride/Kubota for the type of operation you are considering. Note the large cooling fan.

https://www.landpride.com/products/90/hrs30-series-hydraulic-reservoir-systems

To answer your initial question, you could Tee the motor return into the Tank line of the loader valve.

Dave

Attachments

dochsml

Equipment
L4701HST
Jan 21, 2020
Leonard, TX, USA
I have a Lane Shark for my L4701. The way it plumbs is that it has to return to the tank. This requires a T into it. Lane Shark sells plumbing kits if you give them the model of your tractor. This lets the blades coast to a stop rather than stop abruptly. It is true though, that if you move the loader it will cut the flow to the cutter while moving, but only while lifting. If you are lowering, it doesn't cut back on the flow (or not as much to notice). I've found that if you lift slowly, it doesn't affect it that greatly. Generally though, start high and then lower as needed and you won't have a problem. It's a whole helluva lot better than pole sawing and burning or chipping. I can clear all my fence line without getting off the tractor.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Thank you so much. Great help. I'll check both LandPride power pack & Lane Shark!
Those forum members who have wanted the design you want, in the end, found that the costs were out of sight.

As an alternative, some mounted a gasoline engine on a rotary cutter to achieve the benefits of a loader mount without the costs of hydraulic power.

Typically needed around a 30 HP engine but this greatly depends on the use you intend.

Dave

dochsml

Equipment
L4701HST
Jan 21, 2020
Leonard, TX, USA
Those forum members who have wanted the design you want, in the end, found that the costs were out of sight.

As an alternative, some mounted a gasoline engine on a rotary cutter to achieve the benefits of a loader mount without the costs of hydraulic power.

Typically needed around a 30 HP engine but this greatly depends on the use you intend.

Dave
I have never seen this. How would that work when you start angling the FEL as far as starving the gas engine for oil? Does someone make a gas engine like Stihl does for their weed wackers and chain saws that takes the mix gas?

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
I have never seen this. How would that work when you start angling the FEL as far as starving the gas engine for oil? Does someone make a gas engine like Stihl does for their weed wackers and chain saws that takes the mix gas?
When you mount a rotary cutter to a loader, typically this is a different application than cutting the side of a steep ditch in a continuous pass like the cutters on a boom arm hung off the rear of a tractor.

4 stroke gas engines can operate at an angle. Consider the ATV's climbing hills, mowers cutting steep hills.

Dave