Radiators on HST Kubotas

OldHarold

Equipment
L4330, MX5100
Nov 13, 2011
SE WI
Hi,
Unfortunately, I overheated my L4330 badly and damaged the engine.

A Kubota dealer's service manager claims that with Kubota overheated HST tractors the radiator must be replaced. What would be different about HST that would affect the durability of the radiator?

I would not mind a replacement if it were somehow better- different.

Can anyone help me with this?

Has anyone had any luck contacting Kubota or a rep? I have not ever recieved any reply emailing them- this stinks.

OldHarold

DBCSteve

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650, FEL, box scraper, Artillian forks & grapple, GR 2120 mower
Jul 23, 2011
Snohomish, WA
Hi,
Unfortunately, I overheated my L4330 badly and damaged the engine.
It would be interesting to know how you overheated your engine. I have the same feature and same problem with my L3400 as with my Ford 1910 -- a screen in front of the radiator that collects crud. This screen has to be cleaned or the engine temp will go to the max. I make a habit of checking this screen before and after I do any mowing or tilling, and clean it off with a water spray nozzle.

OldHarold

Equipment
L4330, MX5100
Nov 13, 2011
SE WI
Yes, this was an overheat while mowing. Not the first. The usual procedure was to shut off the tractor, clean the screen under the hood as well as the exterior ones, just brushing with gloved hand. Upon restart you could continue mowing and of course it would happen again sometime during every year when fuzz or whatever would plug it. My wife mowed some "prairie" with same result on our MX5100, not the overheat but loaded all intake!

A real hazard!

It would be interesting to know how you overheated your engine. I have the same feature and same problem with my L3400 as with my Ford 1910 -- a screen in front of the radiator that collects crud. This screen has to be cleaned or the engine temp will go to the max. I make a habit of checking this screen before and after I do any mowing or tilling, and clean it off with a water spray nozzle.

birddogger

May 29, 2011
Pittsburgh
Replacing/servicing the radiator when repairing the engine is just good practice.
A little overheating on a "new" engine,or still breaking in after a rebuild will trash all that hard work.
At least get the radiator boiled, rodded, totally spec'd out at a radiator shop.
Refill with distilled water and anti-freeze.

Keep that seed-screen clear, every 15 minutes if needed.

kuboman

Dec 6, 2009
Canada
I clean the screens and blow compressed air backwards through the radiator after every use. A must with these units especially cutting grass.

TripleR

Equipment
BX2200, BX2660, L5740 HSTC, M8540HDC and some other tractors and equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
In bad conditions, I keep a gas powered leaf blower at hand and use it to clean the screens as well as radiators as with small particles, the screens don't catch nearly all of the debris.

In some stuff, I can get by with a whisk broom every once in a while; keep an eye on the gauge as it can spike pretty quick.