First 50 Hour Checkup

searay

Equipment
L3200, GMC Yukon, rotary cutter, pallet forks, box blade, post hole digger.
Dec 28, 2010
Courtice, Ontario, Canada
I'm a tractor newbie, I bought my first tractor in the spring (L3200), and I now have almost 50 hours on it. It will soon be time for me to take it into the dealership that I purchased it from. Does anyone have any idea what this service will set me back? Is there any additional service I should have done at this time? After this service I would like to do my own service, perhaps this is wishful thinking since I don't even change the oil in my F150 or my wife's Accord. Where is the best place to purchase a service manual from or is Kubota the only source? I suspect most members are American and I'm in southern Ontario (Canada) I would hazard to guess that shop rates might be slightly higher here. Shop rate at my local Ford dealership is about $95.00 per hour. Thanks!

fuzzydawg

Equipment
L3400 HST
Oct 11, 2011
Bluffton, MO
I just did the 50 hour service on my L3400, and there's nothing that a do-it-yourself guy couldn't handle. Get your filters and fluids from a Kubota dealer, and just plan to spend an afternoon draining fluids and replacing filters. Everything is pretty easy to get to. The toughest part was finding ALL the drain plugs - I've got the HST model and it seems like there were drains everywhere.

Have fun!

GWD

Equipment
M7040, L48 TLB, BX2200
Jan 8, 2010
Northern California
You won't need a workshop manual (WSM) for routine service.

Your owner's manual that came with the tractor should have photos of the drain plugs and filters necessary to complete the 50 hour maintenance.

There should also be a chart in the manual to indicate all of the 50 hour chores.

TripleR

Equipment
BX2200, BX2660, L5740 HSTC, M8540HDC and some other tractors and equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
Maybe it's just me, but I am not paying a few hundred bucks to have someone do something I can on my own.

Wildfire

Equipment
Kubota L5740 HSTC3 and a Kubota ZG222Z, 2013 BX25D,Custom Toyota fork lift.
Maybe it's just me, but I am not paying a few hundred bucks to have someone do something I can on my own.
I agree. One thing I would do and that's keep all you receipts for the filters and oils and use OEM stuff just for proof that you bought the service stuff. Hard for a warranty rejection then.

I also noticed that in the service manual for my new Grand L 5740 they say just the filters need to be changed out at the 50 hour mark and the fluids at the 200 hour mark so that's the way I'm heading.

gktilton

Equipment
79 B7100 w/ FEL, Deere 261 Finish Mwr, Woods M4 Bush Hg, Potato Plow, Cultivator
May 5, 2010
Hooksett, NH
My opinion is with Vic and here is why. First oil change on my 2011 Chevy Suburban, I know its not a tractor, I had done at the dealership. First question from the Service Tech was "Do you know that your 2 quarts low on oil"?

I got to look at him and say, "It sounds like your problem to me". I sat back and smiled while they inspected every engine component and credited me for the oil change. I also made them give me documentation of the event in case I ever have and engine issue.

Cheap insurance on a big purchase, and yes I do all my own maintenance after the first recheck at the dealer and that is on everything from Trucks to Chain Saws.

Kubota BX 1860

Equipment
BX 1860, oops, traded it for a BX2370
Jun 23, 2011
Raymond, ME
I just did the 50 hr on my BX and it was a breeze. I changed the hydraulic oil (which is not called for at 50 hrs) and if I had to do it all over again I wouldn't bother. The stuff I drained out looked just like the stuff I put in.

Wildfire

Equipment
Kubota L5740 HSTC3 and a Kubota ZG222Z, 2013 BX25D,Custom Toyota fork lift.
I just did the 50 hr on my BX and it was a breeze. I changed the hydraulic oil (which is not called for at 50 hrs) and if I had to do it all over again I wouldn't bother. The stuff I drained out looked just like the stuff I put in.
I did the same thing a few years ago with my 4240. Manual said just change the filters and the motor oil but my dealer said they change it all out. That's great when someone else is paying the bill.

When I drained the hyd fluid it was as if it just came out of the bottle and remember saying to myself that it's just a waste. Kubota know best and the hyd/HST fluid is staying in the 5740 until it hits the 200 hour mark. I'll change the filters and motor oil and put it back in service.

TripleR

Equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
I spoke with my dealer on each new tractor we have bought and they were fine with us doing it. They offered a reduced rate for an on-site on the M8540, but reduced was still more than it cost us to do it on our own. I will continue to do so if I ever buy another one. We keep records of all service items for tax and warranty purposes.

OldHarold

Equipment
L4330, MX5100
Nov 13, 2011
SE WI
It seems very wasteful to dump hundreds of dollars worth of overpriced oils. They certainly have more durability and life than that!

OldHarold

TripleR

Equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
It seems very wasteful to dump hundreds of dollars worth of overpriced oils. They certainly have more durability and life than that!

OldHarold
We change fluid as per manual and we take the used fluid to the dealer where they use it to heat their facility.

peejay

Equipment
L3200 plus 5 foot slasher
Feb 29, 2012
Sydney, Australia
Hi all, I've had my L3200 for almost a year but don't have 50 hours up on it yet (yeah, I know, don't say it, I need to spend more time on it) so should I go ahead and do the service anyway? How long should I leave the original oil in there? Bear in mind I live in a moderate climate, no sub zero temperatures, if that matters.

Cheers

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia

OldHarold
It does seem like a waste but the 50 hr oil will have more metal and trash in it than any other service that's done. Everything is new and has to mesh together for the first time. This is where opinions vary but to me the 50 hr drain is the most critical one in the life of the tractor. If anything I would do a full service at 50hr and just change filters at 200hrs. Out of all my new tractors by far the dirtiest oil came from the 50 hr service. After that the oil coming out looked like what was going back in.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Gday Mate, welcome to the Orange,, WOW 2 years old and less than 50 hours,,,Man talk about abuse,,lol,,
If you live where its pretty dusty, a lot of sand, or a lot of moisture and so on, even with out 50 hours on the clock I would change everything, but thats just me.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Gday Mate, welcome to the Orange,, WOW a year old and less than 50 hours,,,Man talk about abuse,,lol,,
If you live where its pretty dusty, a lot of sand, or a lot of moisture and so on, even with out 50 hours on the clock I would change everything, but thats just me.

Tractor Seabee

Equipment
BX25, brush hog, RT, Rake, BB, QH, Disc, Log Splitter,12K Trailer, Dodge 3500 PU
Changing fluids at 50 HR is great insurance. I did and sure am glad. All fluids had grit, metal particles, and some kind of black gunk. You never know what gets i those things during assembly. At 350 hrs I had the first in-line fuel filter plug solid. Opened it up and it was clogged with th sme black looking gunk I found in the oil ans Hyd fluid. I have always filled the fuel tank from a pump from a tank and a 5 micron filter so I am pretty sure I did not contaminate the fuel. I have 600 hr on that BX now so it is not from setting idle.

I do all my work including 50 hr and use all NAPA fluids and filters.

Ron

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
Changing fluids at 50 HR is great insurance. I did and sure am glad. All fluids had grit, metal particles, and some kind of black gunk. You never know what gets i those things during assembly. At 350 hrs I had the first in-line fuel filter plug solid. Opened it up and it was clogged with th sme black looking gunk I found in the oil ans Hyd fluid. I have always filled the fuel tank from a pump from a tank and a 5 micron filter so I am pretty sure I did not contaminate the fuel. I have 600 hr on that BX now so it is not from setting idle.

I do all my work including 50 hr and use all NAPA fluids and filters.

Ron
Forgive me if I sound smart, which isn't my intent. But, I have to ask- why would you wait 350 hours to change a fuel filter?

GWD

Equipment
M7040, L48 TLB, BX2200
Jan 8, 2010
Northern California
Forgive me if I sound smart, which isn't my intent. But, I have to ask- why would you wait 350 hours to change a fuel filter?
Actually, the manual states the the change interval is 500 hours for a BX2200. I would guess that all BX models are similar.

The L3650, M7040, and L48 call for a 400 hour change.

A Deere 125 lawn mower calls for a change at 50 hours. It is hardly a tractor but mentioned just for the data.

Last edited:

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
Ok- I certainly trust the judgment of the designers. But, obviously, the filter needed to be changed. My philosophy is that a filter should be changed before it is plugged. I do mine once a year. On my Dodge, I change the fuel filter every other oil change. I'm sure that it is too soon, but I also know that I don't remove the filter and find it full of gunk. Cheap insurance that makes me feel fuzzy inside.

peejay

Equipment
L3200 plus 5 foot slasher
Feb 29, 2012
Sydney, Australia
Gday Mate, welcome to the Orange,, WOW a year old and less than 50 hours,,,Man talk about abuse,,lol,,
Thanks Skeets, I have a bit of dust and sand , no question. I'll do the change just to be sure.
Cheers