Vent on bottom of Transmission removes water? Leaking hydro fluid.

Berridge

Equipment
04' L-3430 DST
May 25, 2014
Haughton
Greetings,

Can anyone tell me anything about the part circled red in the picture and why it started leaking a little hydro fluid. Doesn't leak alot but there is always a bit leaking now when I check it. Someone told me its a vent to remove water from the transmission? Maybe stuck?

Does anyone have some experience with this part leaking and how to fix it?

Thanks for any input.

L3430DT

Jim

Attachments

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I take it you tried to post a picture, sorry you can't do that till you hit 5 posts, annoying but it's an anti spam thing.

You can send me a PM with a link to a picture or just make 5 posts and post it here.

One thing to start with is what tractor you actually have, as there isn't a L-3430 DST

It's one of these three:

L3430DT
L3430GST
L3430HST

Now if your talking about it leaking at the spit pin plug in the bottom of the clutch housing, well your really not going to like this answer, but it's more than likely the seals on the 4wd propeller shaft and I do believe on those models the only fix is to split it and put new seals in it.

The other option, depending on model, could be a main shaft or internal case seal, but those leaking are 99% less likely to be leaking than the propeller shaft seal.

And NO you can't simply just stop the leak at the plug as that will fill the clutch case with hydraulic fluid and destroy the clutch.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I forced it through, so the picture posted, it might keep trying to block you, I'll keep an eye on it.

And yes that pin is the clutch split pin drain and everything else I said applies. ;)

Berridge

Equipment
04' L-3430 DST
May 25, 2014
Haughton
Thanks for the reply. I made a typo on the intended DT. I guess the split pin your talking about is the one in the photo I circled? If it is then that would be a very expensive repair I would guess. Tractor is a 2004 model I bought new.
Do you know how progressive this leak will get or is it a gradual thing you can run on indefinitely?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Thanks for the reply. I made a typo on the intended DT. I guess the split pin your talking about is the one in the photo I circled? If it is then that would be a very expensive repair I would guess. Tractor is a 2004 model I bought new.
Do you know how progressive this leak will get or is it a gradual thing you can run on indefinitely?
If you can do your own work it's not expensive at all, but yes if you hire it out it's not going to be a super cheap repair.

Once they start leaking they normally will just keep accelerating leaking, so a little now will become a lot down the line.

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
My BIL with an L4740HSTC recently had a seal repair and including some other more incidental work the bill came close to $4K. The fix included having the shaft sent to a machine shop for knurling because Kubota made some shafts a teensy bit too small in diameter according to the mechanic.

1lakeman2

Equipment
Kubota L2850
Dec 12, 2022
Central Virginia, USA
If you can do your own work it's not expensive at all, but yes if you hire it out it's not going to be a super cheap repair.

Once they start leaking they normally will just keep accelerating leaking, so a little now will become a lot down the line.
Can hydrolic

Can hydraulic stop leak be used on these type of leaks. Have same problem on. 1986 L2850

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Can hydrolic

Can hydraulic stop leak be used on these type of leaks. Have same problem on. 1986 L2850
Probably not, as it is a seal that is leaking.
I know of no way to stop a seal from leaking other than to replace it.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Nope, stop leak is of little to no use on these systems.
You can't have the same leak on a L2850 as the propeller shaft does not go through the bellhousing on that model.
You have the possibility for several other leaks that could be the issue, all of which are fairly easy to fix.
Splitting that model can be done in about an hour or so.

Reactions: 1 user

Mpp82

Equipment
Kubota L2850DT
Jul 19, 2024
PA
Nope, stop leak is of little to no use on these systems.
You can't have the same leak on a L2850 as the propeller shaft does not go through the bellhousing on that model.
You have the possibility for several other leaks that could be the issue, all of which are fairly easy to fix.
Splitting that model can be done in about an hour or so.
New User, old post i know. hope this reaches you still. I have the wsm for my L2850DT GST and starting to replace seals. Can you offer any other specifics about "several other leaks that could be the issue" ? I have it split and now wondering if I have to remove the whole Transmission case to replace seals on both ends..

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
New User, old post i know. hope this reaches you still. I have the wsm for my L2850DT GST and starting to replace seals. Can you offer any other specifics about "several other leaks that could be the issue" ? I have it split and now wondering if I have to remove the whole Transmission case to replace seals on both ends..
There is no need to remove the transmission to replace the seals there is only 2 seals in the front.

1721435573589.png

1721435648278.png

Any place else you have leaks?

Mpp82

Equipment
Kubota L2850DT
Jul 19, 2024
PA
There is no need to remove the transmission to replace the seals there is only 2 seals in the front.

View attachment 133089

View attachment 133090

Any place else you have leaks?
Thanks! Exactly what I was hoping to hear. I fixed every other leak that has come up. (Front axle, and clutch cable connection… ) and new thermostat and water pump last season. As far as I can tell this is the only spot leaking. May have to look at the rear end of propeller shaft. Sometimes there’s a small amount of fluid there. But I think it’s this leak running externally down the shaft cover.