1983 B7100 cooling system.

Mogs84

Equipment
B7100 HST
Jul 23, 2019
Wales -UK
Hi folks,

another question on cooling but this time engine related.

My '83 7100 has a water pump behind the cooling fan which does appear to be working, however I'm still experiencing overheating issues in the summer, currently running with thermostat removed and it seems to have helped a little.

Radiator has been washed out and cleaned as best as I can inside and out.

has anyone ever fitted either of these:

An inline 12v water pump in a hose?

A Bigger/thicker/better radiator?

A 12v Fan on the front of the radiator. (My tractor has an alternator not a dynamo so this shouldn't be an issue)

Thanks all.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Hi folks,

another question on cooling but this time engine related.

My '83 7100 has a water pump behind the cooling fan which does appear to be working, however I'm still experiencing overheating issues in the summer, currently running with thermostat removed and it seems to have helped a little.

Radiator has been washed out and cleaned as best as I can inside and out.

has anyone ever fitted either of these:

An inline 12v water pump in a hose?

A Bigger/thicker/better radiator?

A 12v Fan on the front of the radiator. (My tractor has an alternator not a dynamo so this shouldn't be an issue)

Thanks all.
So someone has altered it, because a B7100 with a D750 doesn't have a water pump or a thermostat.

What engine have they swapped it too, it will be stamped on the flat just to the side of the Fuel injection pump facing up.

Now what did they do to make the engine fit the radiator, or is the radiator not the original too?
Are the hoses kinked? Mainly the lower?

You need to get 5 posts then you can post some pictures.

Mogs84

Equipment
B7100 HST
Jul 23, 2019
Wales -UK
So someone has altered it, because a B7100 with a D750 doesn't have a water pump or a thermostat.

What engine have they swapped it too, it will be stamped on the flat just to the side of the Fuel injection pump facing up.

Now what did they do to make the engine fit the radiator, or is the radiator not the original too?

As mentioned on the other post, the tractor is standard, bar for the alternator change.

There was a post on another forum confirming that these machines left the factory with a water pump and thermostat or had them fitted at dealer before dispatch.

The engine is also the standard 762cc engine.

Last edited:

Mogs84

Equipment
B7100 HST
Jul 23, 2019
Wales -UK
I'm trying to upload pictures but keep getting an error message saying a security token is missing?

Mogs84

Equipment
B7100 HST
Jul 23, 2019
Wales -UK

https://images.app.goo.gl/Kjew3U7zgSEBNv947
Mine is exactly the same as the picture here.

I just can't seem to upload them.

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID

https://images.app.goo.gl/Kjew3U7zgSEBNv947
Mine is exactly the same as the picture here.

I just can't seem to upload them.
I would really like to know the model and serial number that is stamped into the flat right outside the injection pump facing up.

As far as posting pic's, could be that virus protection software is stopping it, add OTT to the safe site list, or it could be your getting logged out too quickly.

The one you linked to is suspicious as he never came back and reported what actual engine was in it.
The D850 and D950 look identical to a D750 but were equipped with a water pump.
Wonder if your tractor was ever a cab model?
That would be one reason a dealer would add the necessary parts to make it a waterpump model.

Like this:

Attachments

Last edited:

N3BP

Equipment
B7200DT, B7200HST-D, L2900GST, L3010 HST TLB
Sep 20, 2016
Lebanon, PA
I wonder if the European B7100's got a different engine? You engine looks just like the D950 in my B7200. My 7100 does not have the waterpump.

Anyway, if the items you corrected didn't fix it, you might have a clogged coolant passage somewhere in the block or head. I haven't owned the B7200 long enough to run it during summer, but in the fall/winter, it hasn't gone above 160 deg F.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Mogs84

Equipment
B7100 HST
Jul 23, 2019
Wales -UK
I would really like to know the model and serial number that is stamped into the flat right outside the injection pump facing up.

As far as posting pic's, could be that virus protection software is stopping it, add OTT to the safe site list, or it could be your getting logged out too quickly.

The one you linked to is suspicious as he never came back and reported what actual engine was in it.
The D850 and D950 look identical to a D750 but were equipped with a water pump.
Wonder if your tractor was ever a cab model?
That would be one reason a dealer would add the necessary parts to make it a waterpump model.

Like this:

It's definitely a 750, a gutless one at that, I think the fuelling has been turned down at some point. It has 762cc cast into the block.

A quick Google search of 'B7100 Engine' shows that it's quite a common thing to have water pumps and thermostats.

I'll try and get a picture of the number you showed but won't be until the weekend now as it's dark when I leave for work and dark when I get back.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
It's definitely a 750, a gutless one at that, I think the fuelling has been turned down at some point. It has 762cc cast into the block.

A quick Google search of 'B7100 Engine' shows that it's quite a common thing to have water pumps and thermostats.

I'll try and get a picture of the number you showed but won't be until the weekend now as it's dark when I leave for work and dark when I get back.
It may be common over there, but over here it's unheard of, I've looked and worked on a ton of them and I've never seen a stock one with a water pump.

I have seen them with alternators to replace the simple dynamo.
I'm thinking it had to do with a cab option and was used for the heater for the cab.
B7100, were not stock cab option here.

Mogs84

Equipment
B7100 HST
Jul 23, 2019
Wales -UK
It may be common over there, but over here it's unheard of, I've looked and worked on a ton of them and I've never seen a stock one with a water pump.

I have seen them with alternators to replace the simple dynamo.
I'm thinking it had to do with a cab option and was used for the heater for the cab.
B7100, were not stock cab option here.
That may explain it as they were a cab option over here, most are tbh.

Lencho

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B7100hst
Jan 21, 2017
NM
Interesting that you say most are tlb configuration, here the loader is common but far fewer have a backhoe. I would like to see what model you have.:)
Back to your question, I see no benefit adding a second water pump if you already have one. Removing the thermostat allows more water to move and you said that helped a bit.
Have you removed the radiator to really flush it out as well as really cleaning the fins and removing any blockages? Did you also really flush out the block?
Consider having a radiator shop revamp your radiator as you should be able to run with the thermostat in place.
Once you know the cooling system is sound if it still overheats there is an engine issue.:(

Mogs84

Equipment
B7100 HST
Jul 23, 2019
Wales -UK
Interesting that you say most are tlb configuration, here the loader is common but far fewer have a backhoe. I would like to see what model you have.:)
Back to your question, I see no benefit adding a second water pump if you already have one. Removing the thermostat allows more water to move and you said that helped a bit.
Have you removed the radiator to really flush it out as well as really cleaning the fins and removing any blockages? Did you also really flush out the block?
Consider having a radiator shop revamp your radiator as you should be able to run with the thermostat in place.
Once you know the cooling system is sound if it still overheats there is an engine issue.:(
Yes radiator has been removed to be flushed out, whether there are blockages internally in the rad in the small passages that don't allow water through is another thing.

It has been sat a long time this thing so may well be corroded and blocked inside.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Yes radiator has been removed to be flushed out, whether there are blockages internally in the rad in the small passages that don't allow water through is another thing.

It has been sat a long time this thing so may well be corroded and blocked inside.
If your not getting water in the oil that's good, then the front case won't be eroded out.

Is there any white smoke on startup?
Might just need a new head gasket.