seeing fork ends from tractor seat

crose237

Equipment
MX5100 box scraper, snow blade, pallet forks and bale spear
May 9, 2011
Missoula, MT
I put some forks on my MX5100 and it seems the tube across the front of the loader is right in the way of my vision when it is on the ground.

firejunkie

Equipment
Kubota Mx4700 4w/FEL, Modern Ag cutter,Dirt dog Box blade and Rake, Custom forks
Mar 19, 2011
greenwood, SC
yeh it happens on my Mx4700 as well, not a real big deal though, on many construction machies there are "blind spots that you must work around,best guess, or have a spotter. If by myself, I bring the loader up, and tilt the forks down to place them, then lower them down and tilt back at the same time until I engage the piece I am moving. After some time you'll be able to just about place them by feel, or you can buy 5-6ft forks so that you can see them.;)

TripleR

Equipment
BX2200, BX2660, L5740 HSTC, M8540HDC and some other tractors and equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
I am in the process of learning to use my forks also and to this point I have found the method used by firejunkie works best. As in all things, I am hoping in time practice will improve performance as I am not yet where I would like to be on skill/finesse with them.

TripleR

Equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
Something that really helps me is my level indicator.

E/S
I was wondering about that. I haven't used mine on the 8540 yet and haven't replaced the bent one on the 5030, but was thinking of putting index marks on it as unlike the 8540, it is simply a straight rod.

GWD

Equipment
M7040, L48 TLB, BX2200
Jan 8, 2010
Northern California
I agree with the "level indicator" posters for pallets or other things sitting on the ground.

However, the indicator is not much help in getting the 4th or 5th pallet in a stack. If I stand up on my M7040 the tips can just be seen for that job.

For the ground level pallet, sometimes it is easier to see the rear of the fork where it turns up to engage the mount. Then just make sure the level indicator is perfect and lift the FEL a couple of inches.

For Triple R: The straight rod level indicator is also on the L48. I painted the rod black, masked off a one inch round area of the rod, and painted it fluorescent orange. It eventually wears off but is easy to touch up.

For my use the bottom of the painted area is used for the level indicator. That way, when backfilling, the bucket is not turned down too much to cause digging.

cmorningstar01

Equipment
B7500HST LA302 FEL 5'Finish Mower B5100E 46" Snow Plow 22 ton splitter
Mar 27, 2011
Pemberton NJ USA
With the advent of technology I am suprised that someone has not mounted one of the tiny cameras with a small monitor on the dash or up under the canopy if you have one, You could mount one for the front and one for the rear and switch back and forth depending which position you needed to view, You could probably even have a split screen if you wanted.

TripleR

Equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
I agree with the "level indicator" posters for pallets or other things sitting on the ground.

However, the indicator is not much help in getting the 4th or 5th pallet in a stack. If I stand up on my M7040 the tips can just be seen for that job.

For the ground level pallet, sometimes it is easier to see the rear of the fork where it turns up to engage the mount. Then just make sure the level indicator is perfect and lift the FEL a couple of inches.

For Triple R: The straight rod level indicator is also on the L48. I painted the rod black, masked off a one inch round area of the rod, and painted it fluorescent orange. It eventually wears off but is easy to touch up.

For my use the bottom of the painted area is used for the level indicator. That way, when backfilling, the bucket is not turned down too much to cause digging.
Sounds like a good idea, I have the new one out in my garage, so I do some measuring and get some paint.

With the advent of technology I am suprised that someone has not mounted one of the tiny cameras with a small monitor on the dash or up under the canopy if you have one, You could mount one for the front and one for the rear and switch back and forth depending which position you needed to view, You could probably even have a split screen if you wanted.
My son had an aftermarket backup camera installed on his work van, maybe something like that would work. My tractors get so dirty it wouldn't last very long for me.

crose237

Equipment
MX5100 box scraper, snow blade, pallet forks and bale spear
May 9, 2011
Missoula, MT
Something that really helps me is my level indicator.

E/S
I don't have level indicator either. I have seen them on some loaders; but mine did not come with one (LA844). The concept of a camera is interesting. I probably just need more practice.

GWD

Equipment
M7040, L48 TLB, BX2200
Jan 8, 2010
Northern California
I don't have level indicator either. I have seen them on some loaders; but mine did not come with one (LA844). The concept of a camera is interesting. I probably just need more practice.
You could find an out of the way spot on the fork frame to weld a small piece of flat plate and use that as a level indicator.

Most buckets on tractors that don't have a level indicator rod have a flat plate on the top of the bucket that you can see to determine when the bottom of the bucket is level to the ground.

Using the same idea on QA forks just weld the indicator plate parallel to the forks. Most times the top of the brush guard on the QA forks will be parallel to the forks so you could use that if you don't want to do any welding.

helomech

Apr 15, 2011
East Texas
I have the MX5100 also. I disable the seat switch so I can stand up and operate the tractor when working with the forks low. Also nice for when I am switching from the forks to the bucket.