Rear Wheel very loose,wobbles, slides around on axle.

pvk

Aug 18, 2011
New Hampshire
Well as the title states, I was moving some fill around the back yard today and found that my right rear tire was wobbling on the axle. After jumping off the tractor and to my horror, I found the wheel sliding up and down the axle. The bolts are tight, but is my rear hub gone, or is a rear axle pin just shot and therefore the wheel is sliding around.

Needless to say I almost soiled myself after seeing this and thanking god for my safety and allowing me to find this before something really bad happened.

If someone could point me in the right direction, that would be most excellent.

--pvk

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
What kind of Kubota tractor do you have? Some model's came with adjustable wheels so you can increase or descrease the wheel base for specific jobs.

Rusty46

Equipment
B7500 HSD-R, LA 302, RCK60-24B, Woods RB-72, Millcreek 25, Harrow, Payne PF800,
I found the wheel sliding up and down the axle. The bolts are tight, but is my rear hub gone, or is a rear axle pin just shot and therefore the wheel is sliding around.
pvk - My B7500 has six bolts/nuts that secure the wheel rim to the wheel hub. I am assuming these six bolts/nuts are what you already checked. My B7500 also has a wheel hub pin that holds the wheel hub to the axle at the desired track width. I assume this pin is broke or lost. The hub is also secured to the axle with a single "pinch" bolt/nut. I assume this bolt/nut is loose. It sounds like you need to check both the pin and pinch bolt/nut. I would jack up the appropriate side of the rear of the tractor, so that the tire is clear of the ground and securely support the axle before checking.

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
pvk - My B7500 has six bolts/nuts that secure the wheel rim to the wheel hub. I am assuming these six bolts/nuts are what you already checked. My B7500 also has a wheel hub pin that holds the wheel hub to the axle at the desired track width. I assume this pin is broke or lost. The hub is also secured to the axle with a single "pinch" bolt/nut. I assume this bolt/nut is loose. It sounds like you need to check both the pin and pinch bolt/nut. I would jack up the appropriate side of the rear of the tractor, so that the tire is clear of the ground and securely support the axle before checking.
x2. It sounds like the locating pin has fallen out, broken, or didn't get put back in, and the hub has loosened. You will need to check the shaft and the bore of the hub for excessive wear- who knows how long it has been loose? You can buy replacement hubs on Ebay, if yours are wallowed out too much. The pins can be bought at most places carrying hardware.

pvk

Aug 18, 2011
New Hampshire
x2. It sounds like the locating pin has fallen out, broken, or didn't get put back in, and the hub has loosened. You will need to check the shaft and the bore of the hub for excessive wear- who knows how long it has been loose? You can buy replacement hubs on Ebay, if yours are wallowed out too much. The pins can be bought at most places carrying hardware.
Sorry about the delay, irene put a damper on any work around the yard. I checked the hubs and they are fine, it seems the locating pin is no longer on either hub, since I couldn't find the pin. The "pinch" bolt is tight on both sides, so I think a trip to the hardware store will fix the issue.

Glad to find a $3 pin will resolve the issues, and yes my b1700 rims can be setup wider depending on the job at hand. So...I will set the rims wider for a more stable stance also.

Thanks all for the posts, I am glad some folks still have concern for other people's safety!

Rusty46

Equipment
I checked the hubs and they are fine, it seems the locating pin is no longer on either hub, since I couldn't find the pin. The "pinch" bolt is tight on both sides, so I think a trip to the hardware store will fix the issue.
pvk - Sorry, but I don't think the missing pins are your only problem! As I remember, the pins fit loose into the hub & axle holes and would not prevent wobble. I think they set tread width only. You need to look at the pinch bolt, lock washer, nut and the (2) cotters that the bolt goes through. The cotters must both be oriented so that the bolt is inserted from the recessed side of both cotters. The torque spec. for this assembly is 91-108 ft-lbs. If you have access to an Operator's Manual, this assembly is shown. I will get you pin dimensions (I think the diameter is 3/8", but I need to measure the grip length) and Kubota p/n's this pm.

B7100

Equipment
B7100,B7100 with Backhoe and FEL, Goldoni Quad 20
Feb 11, 2010
Wales
If you type " loose hubs" into the search facility there are quite a few posts on the subject and various solutions.
Dave

Rusty46

Equipment
pvk - The Kubota P/N for the "Pin Wheel Tube" (clevis pin) is 63733-17270 and the "Pin" (hairpin cotter) is 62131-17290. The clevis pin diameter measures 0.37", so it is close to 3/8". The useable length (underside of head to closest part of cross hole) measures 2.67". The clevis pin fits loose in my hub & axle holes.

rednecklimo85

Equipment
78 B6100E(brush hog, boxblade, snowplow) 85 B7200DT(loader and backhoe)
Oct 24, 2009
torrington,ct
yup both of my pins were broken and missing on my b7200 for years, horrible thing really, especially with a back hoe frame. I replaced one and the hub is so wallowed out it eventually fell thru again. since they never get adjusted im just gonna get a couple bolts and nuts.

pvk

Aug 18, 2011
New Hampshire
pvk - Sorry, but I don't think the missing pins are your only problem! As I remember, the pins fit loose into the hub & axle holes and would not prevent wobble. I think they set tread width only. You need to look at the pinch bolt, lock washer, nut and the (2) cotters that the bolt goes through. The cotters must both be oriented so that the bolt is inserted from the recessed side of both cotters. The torque spec. for this assembly is 91-108 ft-lbs. If you have access to an Operator's Manual, this assembly is shown. I will get you pin dimensions (I think the diameter is 3/8", but I need to measure the grip length) and Kubota p/n's this pm.
I linked a picture of the hub assembly for my b1700hsd. I'll jack up the tractor tomorrow and see how chewed up the hub is and the "pinch" bolt. From what I saw today, some hack just put in the bolt and a washer instead of the cotter, the washer is bent inwards, almost in half.

pvk - The Kubota P/N for the "Pin Wheel Tube" (clevis pin) is 63733-17270 and the "Pin" (hairpin cotter) is 62131-17290. The clevis pin diameter measures 0.37", so it is close to 3/8". The useable length (underside of head to closest part of cross hole) measures 2.67". The clevis pin fits loose in my hub & axle holes.
Yep , those are the parts, thanks for digging them up for me.
yup both of my pins were broken and missing on my b7200 for years, horrible thing really, especially with a back hoe frame. I replaced one and the hub is so wallowed out it eventually fell thru again. since they never get adjusted im just gonna get a couple bolts and nuts.
I am wondering the same thing! If they broke great, but if not, there is nothing preventing them from falling out again, other than and bolt and nut.

Last edited: