Steering wheel loses straight-ahead position

Exit32

Equipment
B2601 tractor w/ loader
Aug 11, 2018
Westford, Massachusetts
My one-week-old Kubota B2601 tractor's steering wheel refuses to maintain its "straight ahead" position when driving the tractor in a straight line.

With front wheels pointed straight ahead, I have now removed the steering wheel three times to reorient it such that the thickest steering-wheel spoke is in the six-o'clock position, the two narrow spokes are in the nine- and three-o'clock positions, and the "K" embossed on the steering-wheel hub is oriented correctly. But after I drive the tractor around the yard, the steering wheel inevitably "drifts" and loses its straight-ahead position when the front wheels are pointed straight ahead.

Searching online, I discovered that my tractor lacks a mechanical connection between the steering wheel and the steering gear. In fact, it doesn't have a steering gear at all. Instead, the steering wheel is connected to a hydraulic controller, and the controller uses rotational input from the steering wheel to decide how much hydraulic pressure to apply to a piston that's connected to tie rods that are connected to the front spindles.

The system works very well, but the steering wheel loses its straight-ahead position every time the hydraulic steering system is exercised. I guess I can accept this as normal behavior, but why does Kubota use an asymmetrical steering wheel that looks so out-of-position when traveling in a straight line?

Reactions: 1 user

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
My one-week-old Kubota B2601 tractor's steering wheel refuses to maintain its "straight ahead" position when driving the tractor in a straight line.

With front wheels pointed straight ahead, I have now removed the steering wheel three times to reorient it such that the thickest steering-wheel spoke is in the six-o'clock position, the two narrow spokes are in the nine- and three-o'clock positions, and the "K" embossed on the steering-wheel hub is oriented correctly. But after I drive the tractor around the yard, the steering wheel inevitably "drifts" and loses its straight-ahead position when the front wheels are pointed straight ahead.

Searching online, I discovered that my tractor lacks a mechanical connection between the steering wheel and the steering gear. In fact, it doesn't have a steering gear at all. Instead, the steering wheel is connected to a hydraulic controller, and the controller uses rotational input from the steering wheel to decide how much hydraulic pressure to apply to a piston that's connected to tie rods that are connected to the front spindles.

The system works very well, but the steering wheel loses its straight-ahead position every time the hydraulic steering system is exercised. I guess I can accept this as normal behavior, but why does Kubota use an asymmetrical steering wheel that looks so out-of-position when traveling in a straight line?
Yep it's completely normal, and no clue why they don't use a asymmetrical wheel.
Really mess with yourself, put a spinner on it. :eek: :D

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN

Hydrostatic steering does that. It is normal and you will need to get used to it.

SDT

jryser

Jun 7, 2017
Plainfield
I have spinners on all of mine. Doesn't bother me a bit.

SDT

Me neither! A little challenging to knee drive though when I’m drinking outta my big thermos you gotta use two hands for though! Not quite like knee driving a car going to a concert with a frisbee in your lap rolling smokes’ WAY back in the day!!! [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 users

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
Me neither! A little challenging to knee drive though when I’m drinking outta my big thermos you gotta use two hands for though! Not quite like knee driving a car going to a concert with a frisbee in your lap rolling smokes’ WAY back in the day!!! [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I've been known to brake steer when needing both hands.

SDT

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
Yep it's completely normal, and no clue why they don't use a asymmetrical wheel.
Really mess with yourself, put a spinner on it. :eek: :D
Yep! Moved my spinner twice. Gave up on it once I figured out what was going on.

Mossy dell

Equipment
B2601 (2021) JD970 (1998) B2100 (1991) B6100E (1988)
Jul 20, 2020
sw VA
I am really sorry to learn of this wheel issue. I got my new B2601 today and soon noticed the crooked wheel. Pointed it out to the salesman who had delivered. "Yeah, I hate that too—some mechanic assembling the tractor slapped it on there." He told me I could pop the center cover, access the nut, and straighten it. So I did—my first adjustment to the tractor.

I wonder if it will get as far out of line as it was. Also, I plan to add a spinner . . . !

By the way, I was surprised when I removed the nut that the bolt was fairly rusty. I wonder when and where that happened? I put some spray lube on it, scrubbed it a bit, and then smeared on some grease before I put the bolt back on.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
I am really sorry to learn of this wheel issue. I got my new B2601 today and soon noticed the crooked wheel. Pointed it out to the salesman who had delivered. "Yeah, I hate that too—some mechanic assembling the tractor slapped it on there." He told me I could pop the center cover, access the nut, and straighten it. So I did—my first adjustment to the tractor.

I wonder if it will get as far out of line as it was. Also, I plan to add a spinner . . . !

By the way, I was surprised when I removed the nut that the bolt was fairly rusty. I wonder when and where that happened? I put some spray lube on it, scrubbed it a bit, and then smeared on some grease before I put the bolt back on.
Here is another feature of your hydrostatic steering system your tractor has:

From the WSM:

The model is provided with a full hydrostatic power steering.
In the hydrostatic power steering, the steering control is connected to the steering cylinder with only the
hydraulic piping. Accordingly, it does not have mechanical transmitting parts such as steering gear,

pitman arm, drag link, etc..

If the system were really this simple, imagine what would happen if you were going down a hill on the road and ran out of fuel. The engine stops but you are still rolling along. How do you safely steer to a stop?

From the WSM:

When the engine stops or the hydraulic pump malfunctions, the metering device functions as a manual trochoid pump, which makes
manual steering possible.

When the engine is not running and you turn the steering wheel, the control valve in the hydrostatic controller becomes a pump powering the steering cylinder albeit with greater effort. Its called a Gerotor for Generated Rotor.
As has been expressed by others, these systems are not like a car or truck where the steering wheel has an On Center position. Repositioning the wheel has no benefit and will soon be out of the Center position again.

Dave

OrangeKrush

Equipment
BX2680, LA344 with Piranha tooth bar, LP PF 1242, LP Rear Blade, KK 60" BB
Nov 15, 2020
Indy
I’ve gotten use to mine no matter where it’s at on the wheel, don’t even notice! it’s just natural instinct while working your implements.

Reactions: 1 users