Crazy???

sw18x

Apr 24, 2011
Hilton, NY USA
Or just in love with Kubotas?

I'm a first time home owner, we just bought the house a month ago. We have about 3/4 of an acre to mow, including a few small rolling hills, and a 75 foot two car wide stone driveway. We also have an outdoor woodburner,which throws another card in the mix. I've hooked up with a local tree surgeon and they drop off loads occasionally, including some pretty big chunks that there's no way I can lift onto a log splitter alone. In fact, some chunks even a couple guys couldn't handle. However, they can dump right near the stove and the woodpile, so there's not too much hauling to do, except when the pile gets real big (it is) and then there's logs I'll have to carry 50 feet or so.

Does all this justify a BX1860? I crunched some numbers, and here's what I came up with: I've already ruled out a JD x series because for an x320 with a blower, I'm already approaching 6k for basically a lawn mower and a snow blower. If I'm going to spend that much, I want more capabilities, specifically a FEL to help lift wood. I've already done enough research to know the x300 tranny is a question mark, and for that kind of money, I can only justify it if it's a tractor for the life of the house. I'm not so sure the JD x series or the Kubota T series fits that bill, from what I've read on these forums. So scenario #1, I just go out and get a Sears or Husquavarna 48" or 54" cut for $1700 - 2200, and plan on replacing it at least once over the course of the 15 - 20 years we'll be in this house. Also, budget in $300 a year or so to pay somebody to plow the driveway, that works out to $4500 for snow removal (I realize there's another option - a walk behind snow blower for 1K or so, but call me lazy I'm ruling that out for now). So, 2 tractors and snow removal over the course of 15 years and we're up to around $8500. Scenario #2, a local dealer has a BX1860 with MMM and FEL for 13K/60 months 0%, with a used rear mount blower for $800. $13,800 - $8500 = $5300. So...when I sell the house and downsize 15 or 20 years from now, as long as I can sell the BX1860 for $5K or so, it's the same as buying 2 throw away mowers and paying someone else to remove snow, right? Except, in scenario #2 I don't have to wait for the plow guy to show up, and I leave a few extra disks in my back intact because I have a piece of equipment I can use to lift those chunks of wood onto a splitter for me. I'll be putting low hours on the BX and taking great care of it (we have a 4 car garage for storage so she'd always be inside), and so based on what I'm seeing late model Kubota diesels like the 1550 selling for, I'm confident the tractor will hold good value. Even if I only got $3500 or $4K back in the end on resale, the lost dollars in my mind are more than made up for by the conveniences of the tractor.

But you tell me, because I'd sure like to hear some opinions on this. My wife is far from convinced, and to be honest I'm not sure I'm seeing things straight because you can bet I'd love that nice orange toy to play with, even if the sandbox is on the small side. We don't have a lot of money to throw away, but our budget should be able to absorb the 235/month payment. Am I out to lunch or could this really be the way to go? Thanks for your input.

Last edited:

sw18x

Apr 24, 2011
Hilton, NY USA
By the way...our house was parceled out from a farm, so we're surrounded by a small working farm (goats, beefers, hay, etc.) and great neighbors...so of course there might be other opportunities to play with the BX and have some fun. Not to mention the neighbor has a nice Steiner I'd like to compete with. Didn't want anyone to think I'm considering this thing for a housing track!

Thanks again.

pat331

Equipment
L35, mower, bushhog, cement mixer, grader, boxblade, forks, posthole digger
Mar 31, 2009
Ft. Worth, TX
sw18x, this is the wrong crowd to ask. Most of us will advise you to go ahead and buy the Kubota. As for me, I bought an L35 which is a FEL/BH tractor more intended for industrial use. I use it on 5 acres. But our ground is rocky and I've even used it to dig beds for my wife's flowers. I use mine almost everday for something. I don't own a wheel-barrow. The L35 does that for me. If you take care of Kubotas, they will last a lifetime and they retain their value. Mine is a 98 model that I bought in 2003. It is worth almost what I paid for it. I have used mine to dig the crawl space for our house, dug the foundation for my shop, dug and installed 2 septic systems, use it in the summers to mow the grass, and for every little chore that may come along. Hope this helps and be sure to let us know what you decide. I think you'll never regret getting a Kubota, especially one with a FEL. Good Luck!

grimace

Equipment
L3800 and 12 implements. City boy country toy!
Apr 20, 2011
Thief River Falls, MN USA
my wife has fought me on my Kubota's but its the best way to go!!
She will love to mow on that thing!! She wont admit it though.

Kubota Newbie

Equipment
M4500, New Idea Cut-Ditioner, JD 14T Baler, IH "Plow Chief" plows, Oliver Rake
Dec 28, 2010
Mount Vernon, Ohio
The snow blower is the way to go, no matter what you buy.

Far as mowing? I'd be a poor one to ask, I mow with a 1980 Cub Cadet combined with a 54 inch offset trail mower. I absolutely love the set-up, I mow 8 feet at a pass just about as fast as you want to stay in the seat. Hydro and hyd lift, but no power steering.

Have an old Kubota M4500 to do real work with (55 hp). You can tell I'm not trying to "keep up with the Jonses" (but I CAN mow grass faster than they do with any of their new zero turns or little 4-WD Diesels ;)).

The Steiner is a neat piece, ran one of those a couple of summers in H.S., a lot of fun to run. I think they have a loader and front mount blower available for those, don't they?

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Aside from the fact that I have a small farm I couldn't imagine life without a tractor. I use mine around my house about every day for something. My little tractor is my mower, stick picker upper, flower bed fixer/destroyer, dirt-snow-rock mover, berry picker, gutter cleaner, garden tiller and then I use it for work sometimes to. That was just part of the fun stuff it help me do. I think you get my point, go for the Kubota. You won't regreat it.

A added bonus is when the wife's in the house barking orders the tractor is outside and very relaxing. You will find yourself creating projects just to spend quality time with your orange baby. A Kubota is more than a tractor, it part of the family.

steve l

Equipment
2 m9000,9540 all cabgmd700 kuhn 605m vermeer,r23a vermeer rake,468 jd baler,
Dec 29, 2010
bullard,texas 75757
Aside from the fact that I have a small farm I couldn't imagine life without a tractor. I use mine around my house about every day for something. My little tractor is my mower, stick picker upper, flower bed fixer/destroyer, dirt-snow-rock mover, berry picker, gutter cleaner, garden tiller and then I use it for work sometimes to. That was just part of the fun stuff it help me do. I think you get my point, go for the Kubota. You won't regreat it.

A added bonus is when the wife's in the house barking orders the tractor is outside and very relaxing. You will find yourself creating projects just to spend quality time with your orange baby. A Kubota is more than a tractor, it part of the family.
i agree with you 100%

grimace

Equipment
L3800 and 12 implements. City boy country toy!
Apr 20, 2011
Thief River Falls, MN USA
Wow Bulldog I couldnt have said it better!!
I also invent things to do just be on my Kubota.
I just ordered a L3800 its being delivered on Friday 5-6 I'am serously losing
sleep I am so excited!

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Grimace, I understand loosing sleep over the wait. I guess that's the adult version of a kid at chrismas. You want to know what's even worse than the wait you are going thru right now. Try this on for size. I bought 2 9000's and a L 3000 new. All were delivered while I was at work so not only did I have the wait on the delivery but then topped it off with a looonnnggg painful wait for quitting time so I could come home to see them. :mad:
I guess the 3000 was the most exciting though. It was my first new tractor purchase and I did it right. Tractor, loader, backhoe, Bushhog rotary cutter, finish mower, tiller and box scrape. It was chrismas in July to say the least. :cool: All that shiny stuff was spread out all over my front yard for me to see as soon as I turned in my driveway. I didn't know what to go rub on first. Almost brings a tear to my eye just thinking back about that wonderful day right now. A brand new car or truck doesn't even come close to the feeling of new Orange. I hope sw18x gets him a new tractor just so he can experience that same wonderful feeling.

The man who said that there's nothing like the love of a good woman obviously didn't own a Kubota. :D

sw18x

Apr 24, 2011
Hilton, NY USA
Thanks guys...just when the yes's had it, my best buddy stopped over last night and told me I didn't need it. In the meantime I bought a sears pushmower and over the course of three days mowed almost the whole lawn. It was a strategic move on my part limping around the yard (stepped on a nail last Saturday) in plain view of the wife but it didn't get me as much sympathy as I hoped. Still going back and forth, it sure is a BEAUTIFUL piece of equipment but will I get the work out of it? Wish I had 2 more acres to fully justify it, but now I'm between a rock and a hard place - how could I ever step on a little Sears or Husquavarna again after being this close to the real thing??

Maybe I'll go test drive one today at the local dealer - THAT should seal the deal!

meanjean

Equipment
Kubota MX4700
Aug 10, 2010
Hazelridge, Manitoba
3 days to mow your lawn?
You do need a tractor!
You won't get any other yard projects finished if you spend almost half your week pushing a mower.
50 foot to carry logs, you need something with a loader.

But what you can afford with:
-Loader
-Mower
-Snow blower

Although new would be great, don't hesitate to buy something used.
Especially if you are handy with a wrench.

I would avoid buying 2 different machines.
Twice the maintenance.
Buy 1 machine which handles all the tasks.

JosephC

Equipment
2008 BX2660, 2005 ZD21,2000 B2400, 1995 B7200,2005 B7800
Apr 20, 2011
North Central Pennsylvania
I agree this is the wrong crowd to ask. sw18x I would loose your bestis buddy for his poor advice. I grew up on a farm with tractors and have no idea how some people push mow their lawn there should be a law against that manual labor. If you read my equiptment list I own 5 kubotas and a few other tractors. My wife had to mow the lawn,clear away the snow and clean up leaves because I had a shoulder dislocation and surgury and was unable to any of that work for 6 months. She learned the hard way WHY we have the tractors and attachments to do the work. Now she loves to go out and mow,plow snow, dig in the yard, and gave another reason to get my BX2660. I also look at it this way you only go around once so make it count.

Hook

Equipment
L3240 with LA514 FEL, Box Blade, Howard Rotovator, All Purpose Plow, Sub Soiler
Jul 6, 2010
Jackson, Georgia
Like others have said this is the wrong crowd to ask if you should buy a Kubota. I too would recommend buying a Kubota. However, that recommendation comes with one caveat. I would not want to finance a new tractor unless money is not an issue (most often if money isn't an issue financing isn't necessary). In my case money is always the issue. Consider saving the $235 per month and whatever you would pay down and wait until you don't have to go into debt to make the purchase (the Dave Ramsey approach). In the meantime you will get by and have more time to justify the need. Another side benefit of saving is that you can buy a used tractor from an individual. I promise you that if you are patient you can find a used BX or even an L series with very low hours and save a bunch of money. If you don't believe that just start looking on Craigslist. Don't get in a hurry. Save and play it smart and you can get more tractor for the money. I believe the "Good Book" says something about the borrower being a slave to the lender. Hope this does not offend. It is not meant too.

Kytim

Equipment
B6000DT, B7100DT,Snowplow, RM360, Scoop, Cultivator, Carryall,Disk, plow
Aug 14, 2009
Western Ky
<<<<A added bonus is when the wife's in the house barking orders the tractor is outside and very relaxing. You will find yourself creating projects just to spend quality time with your orange baby. A Kubota is more than a tractor, it part of the family.>>>>

Well, I don't have a wife currently as i'm a young widower but, if I'm needing a change of whatever is going on, or to get away from the kids, or just think about something different is where Kubota comes in. I've been accused of bleeding orange! Works for me. I must have more tractors per sq. ft. than just about anyone. 1/6 acre and 4 tractors, Now that's crazy!

kytim

Kytim

Equipment
B6000DT, B7100DT,Snowplow, RM360, Scoop, Cultivator, Carryall,Disk, plow
Aug 14, 2009
Western Ky
What? No way! I knew I was doing something wrong.

HAHA, that's funny. I didnt see it coming.

kytim

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
For me anyway,, my life with out the BX would be like my life with out my pickup,, liveable but not as much fun!!

JosephC

Equipment
2008 BX2660, 2005 ZD21,2000 B2400, 1995 B7200,2005 B7800
Apr 20, 2011
North Central Pennsylvania
Kytim I thought I had a good ratio of tractors to acreage as 10 tractors to 62 acres but you got me beat! I would need 1488 tractors to equal what you got. I just had a bad thought a LIFE with NO TRACTORS OR TRUCKS AINT worth livin.