Used tractor buying advice

Velosprints

Equipment
B2920
Jul 16, 2018
Augusta, WV
I’ve been seeing a lot of B2920’s available. Tractordata.com says they have 21HP at the PTO. In your expert opinions, would that be enough HP to bush hog/mow/dig post holes on my 3 acre residential lot?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
That looks mint. Congrats.

Velosprints

Equipment
B2920
Jul 16, 2018
Augusta, WV
I don’t believe I’ll be getting any owner’s manuals with my delivery tomorrow. Does anyone have ideas on where I can get one? I’ve never owned a tractor before, and I want to make sure I know how to operate the thing properly!

wendol

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST
Feb 5, 2014
North Tx
Just a word of caution with your new tractor.....concerning the FEL (front end loaded).

The FEL is a great asset, however it can get you into real trouble real quick......as in turning the tractor over!!

Read the manual, view you tube videos, etc., to educate yourself about how to safely operate it.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
What Wendol is suggesting is keep the buck as low as possible as much as possible! Keeps the center of gravity in your favor.

The front end of these tractors have a pivot pin that allows the front end to swing from side to side. Until you understand it you can get a surprise when hitting a hole of loader too high.

torch

Equipment
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
And consider getting the tires filled with ballast, if they are not already.

There are several options for ballast, depending on whether your tractor will be subject to freezing conditions. Options include calcium chloride (cheap, dense, doesn't freeze but is corrosive), beet juice (more expensive, doesn't freeze, density between CaCl and water, non-corrosive), windshield washer fluid (cheap, doesn't freeze, non-corrosive, least dense) and plain water (cheapest, not as dense as CaCl or beet juice, will freeze). 50% fill for maximum comfort, 75% fill for maximum ballast.

Velosprints

Equipment
B2920
Jul 16, 2018
Augusta, WV
Ok so I took delivery today, and played around on the tractor for about an hour or so. Probably some of the most fun I have had in some time. Using the FEL in combination with the brush hog, I was able to get a lot of brush cleared out in a short amount of time!

In reference to the tire ballast, I believe the tires are filled, but I dont know with what. I will have to look into that. And in reference to the FEL becoming dangerous, I wont be going in above my head too quickly. I am the first to admit that I dont have any tractor experience, so I will take things slow.

Any ideas on the manuals?

Oh - and insurance! It is a used tractor, so I doubt that Kubota will offer insurance. (to include theft) I called USAA and since the tractor isnt stored on my property (yet) they dont offer coverage. I find that kind of odd, but it is what it is I guess. Advice welcomed.

Last edited:

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
Does it need insuring?

Most of what happens to a tractor will be operator error, it's rare for them to get stolen. If you're worried about it getting stolen, some form of fuel cutout is a good idea, or just leaving the PTO engaged will stop most people who don't know tractors well (it'll also make you think it's broken every time you get on it to start it).

The Kubota insurance is pretty good as it seems to cover operator caused accidents, but seems like most other insurance wouldn't.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 27, 2014
You might ask the dealer if he knows if the tires have fluid in them.

You insurance co. should offer some ins. since it IS at you residence. It may need to be listed as a separate item.

Velosprints

Equipment
B2920
Jul 16, 2018
Augusta, WV
You might ask the dealer if he knows if the tires have fluid in them.

You insurance co. should offer some ins. since it IS at you residence. It may need to be listed as a separate item.
It’s NOT at my residence. It’s technically on my dad’s lot until I buy the lot from him.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 27, 2014
I'd suggest talking to your agent. Yes, you say it's at your father's property, so technically it's not at your property.

The ins. company my be interested in knowing the location because it tells them HOW you are using the tractor. If you are hiring out (getting pay) for work your homeowner's policy doesn't cover. Let them know the tractor is stored at your father's location, and that the tractor is not being used commercially and is at that location or your location. Whatever you say, be honest. There is nothing like thinking you have coverage and when something happens you discover you don't. See what they say. Get the answer in writing and on your policy.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
The tractor will be covered by your homeowner's insurance if you keep it on your property. If your Dad would sign a lease for you to have control of the property it's on.... your homeowners will likely cover it. BTW, there's no addt'l premium when covered by homeowners but you may have to show it's value with a bill of sale, or other.

The biggest mistake I made buying my M4700DT was not looking closely at the electrical system wiring behind the headlights/under the dash. Mice had eaten up the wiring and it took getting a schematic (from Messick's THANK YOU) to straighten it all out. Lots of identifying/splicing/replacing. The seller probably knew it because when I asked for his maintenance records he told me mice had eaten up everything in his storage shed and destroyed his manuals etc, so he threw them away. Shoulda been awarning, but it's mine now and it's a really good tractor.

When looking at a potential purchase, don't fall for fresh oil changes and pressure-washed tractors. Fresh oil hides the possibility it's been needing that oil change a long time. Look closely at the bosses on the FEL and the grease fittings to see if they're old/dirty/uncared for. Look for scuffed tire sidewalls indicating rough useage, and broken lenses. Get underneath it and look at the hyd. filters to see if they're dented, crushed or old. They should have been changed every 600 hrs or so. Read the model's maintenance schedule and see if the front axle DT/4-wheel drive models) has gear oil or hyd oil in it. Gear oil is OK...but if hyd oil, it may never have been changed. See that the original grey filters have been changed out to white or other. Look at the floorboards and rubber pedal pads. A low time tractor should show little paint and rubber wear on the pedals and floor. Drain the clutch housing looking for water in there. (It should not have any, if it does, it hasn't been maintained according to the schedule.)

Last edited:

torch

Equipment
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
The tractor will be covered by your homeowner's insurance if you keep it on your property.
Not necessarily, each should check their own policy limits. I had to add a rider to cover the tractor as the basic policy would only cover a portion of it's value.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
INdeed check with your Ins provider agent and find out, you may find it is not and need to get a rider which is only a few bucks a year. In fact if you have ANY valuables guns, artwork, jewelry, anything like that, you might want to ask about that stuff too. I found out the hard way, unless you have a rider for said items, they will give you a set amount,,, and it aint no where what it was worth:eek:

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
What it means is that you have an addition to your policy to cover an item, like your tractor or implements, this would cover loss over what your homeowners Ins would pay IE, had I riders for my guns or my wife's jewelry, we would have gotten paid what they were insured for. As a result home owners only paid X dollars,, much much less than what we lost This is one of those things 99% of Ins agents don't tell you about