M9540 hydraulic problem

Whitaker Farms

Sep 9, 2017
Somerville, TN
I have been reading around here for a long time and have always been able to figure out my problem but now I have something I need help with. I have a Kubota M9540, cab, 4wd, 12spd, Hyd shuttle, loader, & triple remotes. Last Monday I started to use the tractor and do a few chores. First I was going to move a gooseneck loaded with square bales to unload it into the barn and it would not pick it up, so I used the truck. Then I went to put the bale grapple on the loader and it wouldn't lift it either. It would only lift the bare loader at idle or up to about 1000rpm. If you rev it higher than that the hydraulics seem to stop. I had done both of these tasks many times before, so I turned the tractor off, let it sit, and then checked the fluid level. It was at the top line on the dipstick. I have not had any problems like this before so I put it up for the night. The next day I talked to my dealer and he said he didn't know what the problem could be. Since then I have changed the filters which didn't help anything. I checked the pressure at the remote per the manual and the max I got was 15-1600 psi at idle. If you run the tractor at max rpm all I got was about 500psi. I removed and cleaned the relief valve and tried adjusting it but nothing helped. I talked to a diff dealer and he said to check the 3pt lift cylinders and see if the fluid was bypassing. It was not. I have looked over the hydraulic section in the manual and don't know what else could be wrong other than possibly the pump, but it's about $1400. I don't want to put one if its not the problem but I don't know what else to do. Does anyone have any other thoughts or suggestions?

100 td

Equipment
B21TLB (B21, TL421 & BT751) Toyota SDK4 T116 Bobcat
Aug 29, 2015
ɹǝpunuʍop
If it was all OK when it was parked then wouldn't work the next day so to speak, I would look at some simple things like a remote valve has been bumped and is not centered properly, or a quick connect is not seating, remove all QC's and reseat.

Whitaker Farms

Sep 9, 2017
Somerville, TN
I run a hydraulic top link and I took it off the lower remote and moved it to the other 2 with no change. Then I put it back on the bottom remote. Would this make sure they were centered?

100 td

Equipment
Aug 29, 2015
ɹǝpunuʍop
"Centered" as in the remote levers are in neutral/centre position, and not possibly bumped and dead heading the pump etc. As I noted, failures don't usually happen while the tractor is parked, so checking the easy stuff like bumped remote levers and quick connect valves and the like first may get you out of trouble. Do you have quick connects on the loader and/or loader valve? If you do, unplug and reseat all of them.
It's also possible something is wrong with the FEL spool valve or something totally different, just trying for the easy stuff first.
Also check the feedback linkage on the 3pt.
My little tractor has a selector valve down beside the seat for the 3pt or backhoe, you push it down or pull it up, does your by chance have a similar valve that selects 3pt and/or other options, that may have been knocked by someone getting in or out of tractor, or dropped their lunch bag on it?

Last edited:

100 td

Equipment
Aug 29, 2015
ɹǝpunuʍop
Regards your pressures, I don't know what it's rated at but it should be 2000+ psi I woulds suspect, so your pump could be faulty or may be dead headed and heating up and bypassing when revved up. Also make sure position/draft control for 3 pt are fully down for test of FEL.

Tx Jim

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040 HDC-1,JD 4255,Ford 6700
Apr 30, 2013
Coyote Flats,Texas
If it was all OK when it was parked then wouldn't work the next day so to speak, I would look at some simple things like a remote valve has been bumped and is not centered properly, or a quick connect is not seating, remove all QC's and reseat.
Ditto: My M7040 3 pt feedback rod being out of correct adjustment caused the hyd's to get weak when 3 pt was fully raised as this was causing relief valve to unseat.

Whitaker Farms

Sep 9, 2017
Somerville, TN
I checked the remotes last night again and they were all ok. It doesn't have a selector valve or anything on this model. The book says the pressure should be about 2800 when checking at the remote.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
A few points that apply to my M7040 and likely your tractor. You need to check my statement as my WSM says it applies to the M5040,6040 &7040.

You have a FEL which means you have two pressure relief valves.

The one for the FEL is behind a metal plate near the steps on the right side of the tractor.

The second one is near the rear remotes.

The hydraulic flow is first to the FEL and then, through a power beyond port, to the rear remotes and 3 pt.

The FEL relief valve has to be adjusted first.

I expect its set point is a few hundred psi more than the rear relief valve.

I have found that a remote valve that is not in the center or neutral position can bleed off hydraulic flow and limit pressure.

The relief valve tests are to be done at full rpm.

The WSM for the tractor does not do a good job of explaining the interconnection of the FEL and rear hydraulics. There is a separate WSM for the FEL.

Dave M7040

Whitaker Farms

Sep 9, 2017
Somerville, TN
Ok. I will try to find a manual for the loader. The hydraulic pressure on mine comes off the pump and goes into a junction block. Then it has two lines that go to the loader valve and one line goes to the rear of the tractor. I don't know if this block is anything special or not. I will look in the parts breakdown and see what they call it.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
What about the rubber hose on the right side that connects the 2 hard pipes going to the hyd pump. It's known to crack and suck air which would make your hydraulics weak.

100 td

Equipment
Aug 29, 2015
ɹǝpunuʍop
Also check the auxiliary control valve selector knob on the side of your remote valves (between single and dual acting) if you have them, as if it is mid position it will probably bleed oil back to tank.

Attachments

100 td

Equipment
Aug 29, 2015
ɹǝpunuʍop
What about the rubber hose on the right side that connects the 2 hard pipes going to the hyd pump. It's known to crack and suck air which would make your hydraulics weak.
Which with more revs suck more air......top shot!

Whitaker Farms

Sep 9, 2017
Somerville, TN
I don't think mine has a rubber hose on the suction side of the pump. It has a hard line coming from the tank to the bottom of the pump. Is there another line your talking about?

Whitaker Farms

Sep 9, 2017
Somerville, TN
I guess so. Our M5030 has what your talking about but it's never caused a problem. I am not sure what else it could be but the pump. I think I'm going to pull the pump and see if it shows any signs of wear.