Zerk and Hose Cover Ideas

Creature Meadow

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 L4600, Disk, Brush Hog, GB60 Garden Bedder, GSS72 Grading Scraper
Sep 19, 2016
Central North Carolina
Each time I go to grease my tractor I have to clean grime off and around the zerks to do so.

It got me to thinking, we use end caps at work to cover ends of cables so why not the zerks?

Found the right size and installed. The plan is to have all zerks covered with yellow end caps and when I grease replace with orange. In one pocket the required qty. of orange ones and as I grease put the yellow one in my pocket and put on orange ones. In the end, should have only yellow ones in my pocket, thus proving no zerks were not greased.

I also covered all my hoses with a protective mesh and used ty-wraps to secure in place. Thought it turned out well.

I am a little OCD but what do you think, good idea or crazy?

http://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/attachment.php?
attachmentid=29587&stc=1&d=1496339763

Attachments

Ramos

Equipment
1870-1, LA203A, RCK54
Feb 25, 2016
Sherman County, Oregon
Nothing wrong with that if it makes you happy. You may be aware but, you can get plastic zerk caps that have built in keepers. Can't change colors, but you can't lose them, either.

Creature Meadow

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Sep 19, 2016
Central North Carolina
Nothing wrong with that if it makes you happy. You may be aware but, you can get plastic zerk caps that have built in keepers. Can't change colors, but you can't lose them, either.

Was not aware but I do like the idea of changing colors so that I can keep up with which ones I have greased and not.

Creature Meadow

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Sep 19, 2016
Central North Carolina
CM, looks nice and neat, but if this is "I am a little OCD"... what is a lot of OCD like?:D:D:D
OK maybe a little more than a little!

I also number my socks, 1 and 1, 2 and 2 etc. and each one when new on what would be the inside of each foot in the arch area. This way they stayed paired and are always on the correct foot. One gets a hole in it both get trashed or if the dryer eats one mate is discarded.

mdhughes

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901DT
Dec 10, 2014
Ste Geneveive county, MO
OK maybe a little more than a little!

I also number my socks, 1 and 1, 2 and 2 etc. and each one when new on what would be the inside of each foot in the arch area. This way they stayed paired and are always on the correct foot. One gets a hole in it both get trashed or if the dryer eats one mate is discarded.
I thought I was the only one that marks socks are pairs. I don't care which foot they are on, just that they are paired together.

BruceP

Equipment
G5200H
Aug 7, 2016
Richmond, Vermont, USA
Also consider putting a rubber cap on any hydraulic bleeder-nipples. They are quite susceptible to getting water/crud into them ...then breaking off the next time you want to open them up.